Oxon Meet 14 September The Fox (Steventon)

sms

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at an update to how many people are still going/want to come so i can let the pub know of numbers.

1. smstext

2. piv34uk.......Phil

3. Bengie

4. Baker21

5. ScoobyChris (possible)

6. WW_VRS (possible)

7. Bunglebear32

8. Duggie

9. Gyp (Confirmed)

10. Tfboy

11. Boyced (possible)

12. RandomRich

That the sort of thing you were after?

yeah anything will do mate, just making sure people remember its on etc. also no burnouts/racing in the car park. We want to be able to go back in here at a later date ;)

I was going to make a holier than thou response along the lines of me being a responsible forty-something family man that finds that sort of behaviour totally unacceptable and demonstrates a total lack of respect for other people, road safety, the vehicle and the environment, but then I remebered last weekend...

A few months ago, my aged father knocked his old Rover 214 in to the back of a car that stopped abruptly in front of him to turn right. He's mentioned that when he'd braked hard, the car didn't slow as quickly as expected and back wheels had locked up. Could I take it out and check it was OK.

So last Sunday morning, I went out, pumped the tyres up (they were all about 10psi down) and made my way cautiously to a deserted trading estate so I could test the brakes away from the public.

Up and down I went between a roundabout and a dead end, gradually increasing the amount of braking force that I was using until I was reliably locking the front wheels. Lots of noise. Smoke. Lots more noise. Skid-marks. Even more noise.

Having decided that the problem he had was probably down to the under-inflation and the fact that the car had good tyres on the front and some brand I'd never heard of on the back, I decided to head home.

Just one last u-turn on the trading estate road to point me in the right direction, and in a display of adolescent enthusiasm, I hit the throttle to get up to about 40 and slung the wheel round hanging hard on the hand-brake. What followed was a beautifully executed 180-degree turn followed by loads of wheelspin as I head of up the road.

At which point I spotted an old chap stood by the side of the road ...

try it with ESP on:lol if anyone feels the urge to demonstrate the power of their car, we can direct you to a nice road out and away from the village, but does frequent speed checks on entering the village at random intervals.

I tried out 100 kph on that road at some point :o - on the bit where the road drops to 30 limit going into Steventon there often lurks a scamera van. That said I wouldnt recommend going 100kph there anyway as it's got some nasty off-camber bends + sometimes it is muddy. The number of times a car has ploughed a field there... Scary...

just a quick update, will email them later to let them know that there will be a dozen of us with a possibility of extras, anyone still thinking of coming then please feel free, more the merrier and we are a very welcoming group. :)

No probs randomrich, i got a reply back from the land lord welcoming us (and no doubt looking forward to meeting our cash) ;) Hopefully there will be another meet at this venue late October/November and more will be able to attend ;)

No probs randomrich, i got a reply back from the land lord welcoming us (and no doubt looking forward to meeting our cash) ;) Hopefully there will be another meet at this venue late October/November and more will be able to attend ;)

Sorry everyone :orb_upset

Guys hoping to be there although have been signed off work with pleurasy/bronchitus:confused: Dont think the docs are sure yet..,... As long as theres a plug for me nebuliser i should be ok lol:(

Phil

You should be ok mate, it clears up after a few days!!

If you are coming from Milton Interchange (and down the hill into stevention) you want the second pub after the bridge (first pub on the right is cherry and is right next door to fox). Coming from Abingdon/Drayton way its first pub on the left after the co -op.