ok. last weekend some mates and i went fishing (i know i know, but non of us have been for, like 7 years) and on the way back, we were giving it some beans on the country roads. any way, when we got back there was some smoke coming out of my near side front wheel arch.

it didnt smell to strong, and it wasnt to thick. and when i lifted the bonnet there was very little in there. it just seamed to be in the arch.

i'm thinking its from the brakes, but i dont see how??????

any ideas?????????????

It could well be a binding brake by sounds of it.

Try taking it for a spin for a few miles then park up and feel how hot each wheel is. If one is hotter than others then here lies your problem.

I would check out the sliding pins if this is the case to make sure they do slide!!! Bit of copperslip will see them right.

:thumbup:

thanks people (and you to emily)

dont think its binding pads or sticky sliders. the brakes are well looked after (for ever taking the dam thing apart)

however i did change the cv boot on that side the day befor, could it be the old greese that the old one had sprayed all over the place just burning off????

ive had a randomly smoking wheel when i liberally applied wd40 on one hub in an attempt to remove the old track rod end (which incidentally had corroded so badly because of a split boot that it almost seemed "fused" into the hub arm!) and some of the wd40 (lots really) ended up on the disc / caliper and pads!

ive had a randomly smoking wheel when i liberally applied wd40 on one hub in an attempt to remove the old track rod end (which incidentally had corroded so badly because of a split boot that it almost seemed "fused" into the hub arm!) and some of the wd40 (lots really) ended up on the disc / caliper and pads!

:confused: No really, I've never seen removable track rod ends protected by gaiters. The rack ends of the track rods usually are, but if they go you need to replace the entire rod IME.

you can buy stuff in an aerosol can called toolguard, it's a horrible yellow oily stuff.. spray a load of that on them and that will protect them from rust/corrosion. and it doesn't get washed away by water either

you can buy stuff in an aerosol can called toolguard, it's a horrible yellow oily stuff.. spray a load of that on them and that will protect them from rust/corrosion. and it doesn't get washed away by water either

thanks, ill try that!