Stream 6cd changer

Hi all, just joined. Can't get the Skoda changer here in Spain for my new Octavia, dealer has tried to fit Kenwood unit without success, says only Alpine unit in glovebox will work, which I don't want. Anyone know where I can get the original Skoda unit to fit in boot, and how to get to the back of my Stream MP3 tuner to fit it? Dealer also says computer code is required to make it work, is this true?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Hedge and Stu. I have the MP3 stream and have discovered that, according to Skoda's own web site, they don't supply a cd changer for the mp3 stream (or mp3 audience). I guess that means no-one makes the necessary interface cables? I don't have an MP3, can't download music from the web, so I think I may have to buy some software to record my CDs onto an MP3 player via my computer - which I don't want to do, but it may be the only realistic option. I'm looking at Phatbox info, but will that not also have the same interface problem?

I had a Stream MP3 in mine from new, with a CD changer. It's standard spec in the UK.

I've seen the webpage you quote and it's misleading. The connectors are the same. I think the point they may be trying to make is that the CD changer is not MP3 compatible.

Phatbox will also work fine.

As you don't already have a CD changer you'll also need the interface cable which runs to the storage cage in the boot. That's of course if that's where you were going to mount it but I see no reason not to.

Thanks Stu, that's good news. I've had a quick look at the Phatbox, it looks

a better option, and cheaper, than the changer. Would I need to buy the VW Phatbox & cable? Also, I don't have a storage cage in the boot, can this part be bought from Skoda?

If you have no storage cage then perfect.

Install the Phatbox in there. You would need the VW Phatbox and this cable I believe.

NEW VW AUDI CD CHANGER / Phatbox CABLE MFD2 RNS-E 5,0m on eBay CD Changers Combos, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 120146067592 end time 06-Aug-07 16:18:43 BST)

Happy hunting.

If you decide on PhatBox or CD changer you'll need to get the long cable from the head unit to the boot. You may not have the side panel on the left side of the boot if you don' have a CD changer but there is a panel available, which we have as standard here, which covers the opening behind the left rear wheel arch. This is where the CD changer goes or would be the ideal place for a PhatBox.

Having decided on a PhatBox, I'm having trouble locating any. Is the company, Phatnoise, still trading? The links on their website don't go anywhere. I've located 1 on Ebay, but it sounds like an obsolete model.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my Phatbox delivered, after buying it from England, unit sent from US, got stuck in Spanish Customs, wrong paperwork etc.

I've now need to ask several questions please - the green light on my USB cradle doesn't come on, what voltage/polarity should the power unit be set to? (Nothing in instructions or Phatnoise website).

Despite asking for VW unit, looks like they've sent an Audi unit - is this a problem? (I bought the cable Hedge recommended from Ebay).

I can't update the software included with the Phatbox, keep getting the message 'Failed to receive a valid HTTP response from server? any ideas?

As always, grateful for any help you can give.

Right lets see here.

Unit needs to be a VW one but you can change he firmware on the DMS so no problem. Can't remember which one I set mine to but 6 buttons on the head unit seems right.

Also you need the right cable. Which you have. :thumbup:

My cradle runs on 240 as I'm in the UK. On the plug it says input 100-240V AC 50-60Hz, 0.25A and output 9.0V DC, 1000mA.

Funkily enough he 3 pin bit slides out.

The latest Music Manager software is v2.30 and to download you need to input your email address. This will give you trial for 30 days to rip CD's but allows you to manage your DMS indefinitely. I didn't get a CD so I had no choice.

Instructions and stuff are here. Volkswagen PhatNoise Digital Car Audio System

I think once you get the Music Manager s/w installed it wil be easier.

Thanks, Hedge. Changed voltage to 9V (from preset 7.5V) on cradle, seems to work OK now.

Got radio out, added data and clock pins to new (white) connector on new cable, connected Phatbox as per instructions, reconnected battery - radio works, Phatbox completely dead.

The wiring colours on the rear connector are COMPLETELY different to the wiring colours from the Phatbox lead - does this mean this is the wrong cable?

(This is just a lash-up, it will take me some time to fabricate a mount for the Phatbox, but I want to make sure the system will work before spending the time on the mount.)

Just been out and had look at the car.

So from the car which would have connected to the CD changer I have.

1 Grey

3 Brown

5 Black

7 White

9 Black

11 Blank

12 Blank

10 Yellow

8 Grey

6 Red

4 Blue

2 Yellow

And From the Phatbox I have

1 Green

3 Grey and Brown

5 Black

7 White

9 Grey

11 Blank

12 Blank

10 Red

8 Yellow

6 Purple

4 Black

2 Orange

I hope that helps.

If you read the instructions when you first plug the Phatbox in you must have the DMS installed. It then updates the firmware on the box and you should hear the "Welcome to the Phatnoise Car Audio experience".

Many thanks, Hedge. I've just done the same, and I've got:

From the radio cable

1 White

3 Blue

5 Blank

7 Black

9 Pink

11 Blank

12 Blank

10 Orange

8 Green

6 Grey

4 Purple

2 Pale Red (?)

And from the Phatbox

1 Green

3 Brown

5 Blank

7 White

9 Black

11 Blank

12 Blank

10 Red

8 Yellow

6 Purple

4 Black

2 Orange

The Phatbox lead colours are similar, although not exactly the same, but the other lead is completely different!

I've just checked again, and the lead I've bought definitely says it fits Skoda Stream and Phatbox. OK, I've got the MP3 Stream, but at worst that should mean changing 1 pin.

Where did you get your cable from, and which HU do you have, Hedge?

Do you know if the pins in the cable connector from the radio, at the Phatbox cable end can be moved round without damaging them? If so, I'll change them to your config and see what happens.

I've followed all the instructions exactly, but no lights go on in the Phatbox, and the HU doesn't recognise the Phatbox at all.

Frustrating or what?

If you have a MP3 Stream then you need to look here Octavia-vRS.com - MFD2 Install Guide Thanks Stu.

THe CD changer is wired differently at the head unit according to Stu's website.

I have a MFD2 installed but have not changed anything from the original Stream.

I have a cable from the head unit that originally went to the CD changer and now I have a cable that plugs into that one and connects to the Phatbox.

My pin numbers were from either side of that connector.

I have been using Stu's Install Guide to get the HU out (thanks, Stu!), and the Pin-out diagram on my HU (same as Stu's). I haven't changed the pins because I haven't got an MFD2 and don't want to use the Aux socket.

To make any sense of the wiring, I need to know what the pin-outs/wiring colours from the Phatbox represent. (The original VW/Skoda CD changer pin-outs to wiring colours would help). I can't find either on the internet, or on the Skoda workshop manual CD I purchased.

I'll send an email to the company I bought the cable from, asking them to check that they have sent the right cable, but other than that I'm pretty much stuck.

Thanks again for your help.

I believe the cable is correct however it will be for a Stream/MFD2.

The Stream MP3 connections for the CD changer are different from the Stream/MFD2.

If you look at the pictures CD L & R are fine however it is the earth that needs moving and Stu had to do this to make his CD changer work with his MFD2.

I've managed to find a Phatbox pin wiring diag., but whether its accurate is anybodys guess. Using that, I THINK the wiring is OK, but without splitting the outer sheath on the long cable to check the point at which the wiring is bundled to an earth wire (see below), I can't be sure.

With regard to the cd changer earth, the cable manufacturer has taken all the earth/ground lead(s) out on a fly lead to a separate ring connector at the HU end, to connect to a body earthing point, eliminating that problem. Pin 3 is therefore blank.

Just a thought - if I have been sent an Audi unit by mistake, would that explain a completely dead Phatbox? The paperwork says VW, but the photocopied installation instructions say Audi!

I believe the Phatbox itself can be either. It depends on the firmware you have set on the DMS. Mine is set to Volkswagen/Audi brand stereos version 7.02.

When you plug it in with the DMS installed the lights should flash as it updates the firmware and when you select the CD button it will play the welcome message.

If all else fails try dropping the Phatnoise people a line. I used them when I had a query in the past.

One advantage I had over you was that my unit was secondhand and had been used in a MK4 Golf & RS6 before.

Thank you both. As you probably know, Phatnoise was bought out by Harmon Kardon, who currently aren't manufacturing them, so not sure if they are still supporting the website, but well worth a try. (Being cynical, I think they bought it to reduce the competition to their own in-car MP3 player).

As soon as I get a chance I'll start continuity testing the long lead, to eliminate bad connections/broken wires. Its called clutching at straws!

I'm also waiting for a reply from the cable manufacturer to confirm its suitability, having sent him the MP3 Stream pin wiring, but don't hold out much hope there.