Stream 6cd changer

I must admit to not reading the whole thread but would I be right in thinking that you have bought a Headunit to CD changer lead which doesn't seem to work?

I know you are connecting the Phatbox instead of the CD changer but that shouldn't matter.

Does this help, it's not entirely up to date so doesn't cover the Stream MP3 but you've seen the pinouts on my website -

Octavia II CD Changer CFD.pdf

Thanks, Stu - is that from the ElsaWin CD? I have it, but can't access the current diags as it won't accept my VIN number!

The problem was a dead, brand new Phatbox (and new cable from different source).

I checked all the wiring/connectors, all OK, so reconnected taking earth fly lead direct to battery earth, and bingo! Life in the Phatbox. It was set up for Audi, changed it to VW, now works after a fashion, but sound quality is appalling - but that's tomorrows problem.

But the one thing I have never seen is the set-up screen quoted in all the literature and web-site. Very strange, and I do wonder if the Phatbox is less than 100%. The menus are flaky, sometimes work and sometimes don't, and, as I said, the sound is appalling on both Phatnoise pre-recorded stuff and my trial album.

Wel I am glad to hear it works but not impressed that it sounds awful. I hope as Stu says it is down to the earth.

Which screen are you looking for? Can you post a pic.

Stu, the changer ground changes to a brown fly-lead about 4ft long with a ring connector on the end, at the HU end, and I have been taking this (via an extension lead) direct to the battery, so that should be OK.

Hedge, I've attached a pic of the page re HU setup, the choices of HU on the button 6 set-up go from A to S, without any explanation, but changing them doesn't make any difference to the sound quality.

But going through the settings for the umpteenth time I noticed that the Phatbox firmware is set up for the Platinum edition - I have got the VW/Audi edition. I checked that the latest VW software was still loaded - it is. There are dire warnings of the consequence of changing the Phatbox firmware, so I'm wary of doing this without contacting Phatnoise themselves, which is my next move.

Sound on everything is still awful, voice and music, but it all sounds perfect when played from the DMS through my computer. Menu's are still flaky - the counter on the tracks freezes sometimes as well.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone over here who has a VW/Audi/Seat with a changer in it to try the Phatbox, to eliminate any possible HU problem. (My Skoda dealer tried to fit a Kenwood changer in the car, and couldn't get it to sound decent, so that has sown a seed of doubt in my mind about the HU). :confused:

16549.attach

Dave

The ground I was meaning is the one on the CD Changer plug. Have a look at the 2007MY problem on the MFD2 install page.

The other ground may well need to be connected to the HU. I recently fitted a Dennison Icelink for somone and the thing wouldn't work unless it was grounded to the HU.

Dave, after I set the type in the Music Manager I didn't need to do anything on the head unit it just worked. I am not sure that sheet is relevant.

See attachment or follow the wizard in the Music Manager.

I am guessing a Stu says that the flying lead is so you can use one of the head unit mounting screws for the earth.

16550.attach

Sorry Stu, I'm a bit confused! Pin 2 has been used for the Phatbox Audio Ground, and pin 3 is blank, the Phatbox ground having changed to the brown lead. I won't confuse the issue with any more colours!

Are you saying I should try Scotchlocking the brown fly-lead to the brown HU ground rather than take it to a separate earth?. (Funnily enough, I discovered the dealer had left a scotchlock on this very wire with a cut-off black wire on it - makes you wonder?)

Hedge, that ties in with my experience. Did you have to change the Firmware to the VW one, or was it pre-loaded?

Again, thanks both for your help and patience!

The green connector in the quadlock is wired as folows -

Pre 2007 MY Octavia wiring is as follows -

Pin 1 - Not connected

Pin 2 - CD changer, left and right channel, earth

Pin 3 - Not connected

Pin 4 - CD changer, voltage supply, terminal 30

Pin 5 - Not connected

Pin 6 - CD changer, DATA OUT

Pin 7 - Not connected

Pin 8 - CD changer, left channel, CD/L

Pin 9 - CD changer, right channel, CD/R

Pin 10 - CD changer, control signal

Pin 11 - CD changer, DATA IN

Pin 12 - CD changer, CLOCK

2007 MY Onwards Octavia wiring is as follows -

Pin 1 - Aux in left

Pin 2 - Aux in earth

Pin 3 - CD changer, left and right channel, earth

Pin 4 - CD changer, voltage supply, terminal 30

Pin 5 - Not connected

Pin 6 - CD changer, DATA OUT

Pin 7 - Aux in right

Pin 8 - CD changer, left channel, CD/L

Pin 9 - CD changer, right channel, CD/R

Pin 10 - CD changer, control signal

Pin 11 - CD changer, DATA IN

Pin 12 - CD changer, CLOCK

The crucial part is the CD changer ground. If you have the Stream MP3 then the CD changer ground on this unit is pin 3 however your lead may be orientated in such a way that it is wired for a standard Stream, ie with the CD changer ground on pin 2. When I first fitted my MFD2 I had god awful sound from the CD changer - the problem is this ground.

Ok Stu, finally with you (well is is 38C here at the moment!). Changed pin 2 to pin 3, Phatbox now sounds great - muchas gracias!

Still waiting to here from Phatnoise helpdesk re firmware (thanks for your info on that, Hedge).

Have run wiring through car (your Bluetooth install guide was VERY helpful on trim removal, thanks Stu!). Now all I've got to do is decide on how to install the Phatbox in the hole shown in the attached pic.

Both Audi and VW install guides put the Phatbox on the fibreboard only (!) next to the n/s wheel arch, but I'd prefer to tuck it out of harms way if possible, with a decent bracket onto steel. As always, any thoughts/info gratefully received.

16579.attach

Dave, I'm glad to hear you've cracked it.

Installwise I took the velcro route so I can't help you there.

Not to sure what the Phatnoise helpdesk people will say when you tell them it is to go into a Skoda with a Stream MP3 but if you had sounds out of it and the buttons on the head unit do the right things I would quit while you are ahead.

Incidently which firmware are you running?

I think your right about the Phatnoise people, Hedge - I don't hold out much hope there. The buttons are a little flaky sometimes, but, as you say, I'm happy to stick with what I've got if I have to.

My firmware is VW Native Brand Stereos version 7.02, and the Installed Product: Phatnoise Car Audio System Platinum Edition (Should be VW/Audi edition).

I've found an old bit of dural that somehow escaped the cull in moving from England, I'll epoxy that onto the side of the car at the bottom and angle it to follow the contours a bit, then mount the brackets to that. That's the plan anyway! Thanks a lot for your help.

I would change your firmware as the buttons shouldn't be flaky. Well mine aren't.

MFD2 and Stream (mp3) should be the same as the CD changer is the same.

Good luck with the install let us know how you get on.