a TDI tuning box......

Hi i recently installed one of these boxes on my vRS, but i realised that my engine is now juddering alot more, but i don't know why this is, any ideas? but i have felt a performance gain since istalling it though....

Sounds like you're OK then (regarding DMF). Just idle speed that has been affected - mine is lumpy at times whilst idling, switching AirCon in / out, heated rear window etc affects it.

The DMF problem most of us are referring to is when you boot it in too high a gear at 1500 to 2000 rpm.

I know its been covered before, but these boxes only over fuel the engine to gain performance, and this fuelling is not accurately measured.

A re-map is much better for the engine and other mechanical parts.

As mentioned above, you may need to turn the variable resistor down to reduce fuelling, however you will loose performance also.

If you dont have an adjuster, and the box you have got is ''L'' shaped, then all it has is a 2p resistor inside.

I have had this problem with a generic remap that a local garage put on the ecu.

Sorted it by replacing the ecu under warranty. Now have an Angel Tuning map on the car and have had no problems since.

Hi There

Did they de-solder the chip and damage it?

It should be a flashed re-map via the OBD port, in which case, software alone cannot write an ECU off.

I'm guessing they physically damaged with poor equipment:(

Hi iv also got a dragon tunning box on my fabia vrs, had it on a few months now done about 3 thousand miles with it on full power, didnt notice much improvement untill i turned it on full.

It has made a difference once turned to full power but the other day i noticed a judder when i was parked up with the engine on but it seems to be fine whilst on the move apart from the extra black smoke!!

My girlfriend has also got a fabia vrs (standard) and she has never noticed a judder could this be the tunning box? Seems strange me and channy have noticed the same problem!!!

my Dragon box equipped VRS is sometimes lumpy on tickover , but then even standard it was like that , so not that bothered ,

Paulk22 , the box does take a bit before you feel the benefit , mines still on the standard 11 setting and its noticibly more pokey (and sooty) than it was without the box , might try it up a setting soon

my Dragon box equipped VRS is sometimes lumpy on tickover , but then even standard it was like that , so not that bothered

Some of the Dragon boxes (I know the Ford TDCI ones do) can be connected to use their inbuilt delay circuit which means the tuning box won't be activated until x minutes after the ignition is turned on (I guess until the car is up to temperature) which can get round lumpy idle issues when cold....

Chris

When i purchased my dragon tunning box i was told it would have this delayed feature on it, extra safty precaution i guess.

But still get this juddering? Hope its nothing to worry about!!

I had a little fling with one of these and I got the problems mentioned above when booting it 1500 - 2000 rpm. I didn't really want to have to drive round it so I sent it back under their 30 day warranty, full refund!

Like the other posts say, remap is the way to go.

If the problem disappears without the box fitted then leave it off and sell it on, is it really worth buggering up the DMF?

• 11 months later...

If its not adjustable then take it off and get on that is or just by the trim pot from somewhere like Maplins and make your own.

The reason it runs like a bag of poo is that its getting too much fuel on idle , if your box is not adjustable then the resisor that is in it is of a too high value thats why it best IF your going to use on of these to use a varible one like a trim pot.

I found that on my 110 Octy that the resisance was about 4.7 ohm