Out of order or just me

Aspman

I posted this yesterday -

On Sunday I noticed that one of the rear wheels was missing a locking wheel nut. Now I've only has the car 2 weeks really and another 2 weeks was in the secure Q-park at Glasgow airport. The most likely explanation (to me) was that it hadn't been fitted.

I phoned them up on Sunday and was told to come in. So this morning I go in.

I spoke with the service receptionist. They deny any wrong doing and that anything like that would be picked up in PDI (IMHO for most PDI's you lucky if you have 4 wheels). They allege someone had tried to nick my wheels! But surely if you can remove a secure wheel nut without marking the wheel (and this would be the only nut touched the rest still have the plastic caps) then nabbing the wheel would be child's play.

They said since it was "Your word against ours" they would supply a new set of locking wheel nuts.

She then asked if I had washed the car, I said I'd only had it a month and two weeks of that were in a secure car park, to which she replied ,"You would say that".

My temper has settled a bit now but I'm still pretty angry about how I was spoken to. The GF thinks it's coz I look like a grumpy bugger (which is true) that she had a go. I didn't say anything at the time but I am considering writing to the MD and Skoda UK about it.

Correct course of action you think or should I just keep quiet and go to another dealer. They've been sarcastic before when I complained about the car being delivered dirty.

Complain! You've paid for something that isn't right, and if it isn't sorted, you risk someone stealing an alloy. I'd talk to the dealer again but insist on talking to the service manager, and tell him you're not happy. I'd also mention that the car was dirty when delivered which isn't what you expect when paying thousands for a new car. If he refuses to help I'd go to SUK.

It's a tricky situation to prove either way, but as you say, what are the logical reasons for it being missing?! I'd ring Skoda CS and just say you're a bit concerned as you bought the car and have noticed that it's missing a wheel nut (locking one) and you've raised it with the dealer who said it wasn't their problem. Can always play the JD Power card and ask if that's the kind of CS you should expect from a Skoda dealer. For the

They are sorting it, new set of locking nuts is on order. It was the attitude of the staff that ****ed me off.

I don't expect to get anything other than personal satisfaction by complaining, this particular dealer has lost my business forever more anyway.

Is this a common attitude from Skoda? I've bought from local Ford, Vauxhall and Renault dealers and never had a cross word even during problems.

I've never had so much arrogance from dealers before and that's from more than one Skoda franchise. Skoda seem to be "thanks for buying the car now kindly FO!".

I think I didn't spot it earlier is because the bolts are quite deeply recessed on the wheels and I'm used to the locking nut looking different (my previous Clio had locking nuts that sat deeper and didn't have a cover).

I've never had so much arrogance from dealers before and that's from more than one Skoda franchise. Skoda seem to be "thanks for buying the car now kindly FO!".

Generally comes down to the individuals within the dealership and not the brand or even the dealership itself.

If the dealership has lost your future business anyway, I'd take that as voting on the quality of the service - raising complaints with various people will just take your time up, and probably won't change anything anyway...

Though do post up a review of the dealers in our Reviews section on here. :D

Rob.

does sound a bit bad, as said if someone could remov e a locking nut why wouldn't they touch the normal ones?

i'd say it was either not there or it wasn't tight and fell out somewhere.

and what does washing your car have anything to do with it? :confused:

i'd say it was either not there or it wasn't tight and fell out somewhere.

and what does washing your car have anything to do with it? :confused:

^^That's what I thought.

^ I think she meant I should have spotted it when I washed the car. I'm not sure why I didn't but it could be that as I said I'm used to seeing one odd bolt on a wheel. Or it could be that it was loose and fell out. I just don't think it's probable that some one tried to nick the wheel, got the locking nut out on the first attempt and then left the wheel.

Possible but not probably. Plus would the service lot admit they didn't fit the bolt (if it's done at the dealer) or that they didn't PDI properly?

I could understand that they wouldn't want to admit liability for something like that but if they have no evidence to prove that it was my fault they should STFU and not take a pop at the customer. They're supplying in the set anyway and all they have managed to do is lose business in addition.

I posted this yesterday -

I spoke with the service receptionist. They deny any wrong doing and that anything like that would be picked up in PDI (IMHO for most PDI's you lucky if you have 4 wheels). They allege someone had tried to nick my wheels! But surely if you can remove a secure wheel nut without marking the wheel (and this would be the only nut touched the rest still have the plastic caps) then nabbing the wheel would be child's play.

:iagree: I once had a car that "passed" its PDI with the brake lights stuck on!! To make matters worse, that was the 6th new car my dad and I had out of that dealership. It was also the last! No names no pack drill, but it wasn't a Skoda dealer.

Were they standard fit locking wheel nuts? I didn't get any lockers on my brand new L&K a few months ago.

Does it matter? The car still went out with a loose or missing wheel nut, and hence technically not roadworthy.

Were they standard fit locking wheel nuts? I didn't get any lockers on my brand new L&K a few months ago.

Didn't read if they were standard or not but they were on the 3 other wheels.

Never had a car with alloys that didn't come with locking nuts. Maybe my 97 Astra but I think I got them for nothing just for asking, Focus and Clio both came with them as standard as did the GF's Tigra.

MD's letter will make mention of unsafe wheel, potential to inform trading standards, disrepute to the dealership, poor staff attitude etc etc. It'll be cathartic.

starting 2 get same feelings u have most dealers dont give a damm;just take the money and run,if u have a proplem what u want us to do about it and if u complain its like banging ur head off a brick wall sound like a bit of a moaner but im really not; i just know what ur talking about good luck.

My view is twofold.

1) That I shouldn't need to inspect a car on delivery in case I "notice something" - like I would (not being a car person) :rofl:

2) It's commonplace for any supplier these days to try to make it hard to complain in the hope that a customer will go away and sort whatever problem with whatever product otherwise.

I don't mind them trying it on, since I take it as read (par for the course, so I don't get upset), but that doesn't mean I accept their answers (or questions!) though.

Depends on what it is as to whether I think it's worth going into bat. That said, it's rare that sales people are impolite - by remaining polite oneself, it sometimes helps to allow a "normal" conversation to follow.

Shouldn't be necessary to be faced with that, I know, but the idea is that the conversation goes somewhere, so that they answer your questions. Some seem to play bad cop good cop, so that a manager is all sweetness and light, despite having told his employees to put forward a hard line. Best to try to find out what's actually going on methinks.

Regards

Mo

Going to pick up the replacement bolt/s today.

Do I raise this with the salesman or leave it for a letter to the MD?