Where to get a remap in Wiltshire?

M005

Have a standard, '04 Octy vRS, which is great; I like the way it looks, I like the interior, I like the power delivery, but I just want more power:D

Having trouble finding anywhere in Wiltshire that will do a remap, anyone got any recommendations?

Also what is the max power increase I can expect from a simple remap with no other changes?

(Yes I know there are many threads on this, but none contain a definitive answer....)

Only had it since the beginning of the year and already seriously hanging my nose over an Audi S3, but have concluded that as people will only offer me

Couldn't find any in Wiltshire, but Custom-code comes highly recommended and there's a few agents in neighbouring counties...

Custom-Code - The Latest Innovation in Serial Port Chip Tuning Technology. Remap VW - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Contact

or Superchips (which seems to be less popular)

Superchips - Superchips Performance Centres.

or Revo

Revo Technik Dealers in UK

Chris

Will a skoda dealer not remap it for you? Mate of mine had his done by the dealer when he picked it up.

They will likely just get the local tuner to do the work for them. Quite a few times it seems to be Superchips as these cover pretty much most of the country and also include a warranty! I suspect the dealer will take their cut though, so may be cheaper to go direct....

Chris

He says the tech bloke at his dealer had just come off a course and had a couple of codes to add some boost to the turbo and give some more torque mid-range. Plugged in the VAG COM (I am guessing) and changed a few setting. Sorry I can't be any more specific. He did say he is not able to get close to redline in 6th thou!

Spoke to my mate at my brokers and he said it will increase premium 25%. I think the thing is to say it has been optimised for fuel economy and mid-range drivability rather than saying its been chipped to up the power.

I was going to suggest Allard in Gloucester, surprised Jason didnt TBH.

As for declaring or not, I would advise you to although in my younger days I had a 998cc Mini according to the logbook. Driving it around though (stock brakes as well lol) you were always very concious that if you were to have an accident the **** would hit the fan big time. So, most of the time you couldn't enjoy it 100%. Since then I've always declared but I've only had one chipped car.

A remapped ECU is easy to spot if you're looking for it. Probably much easier than measuring the displacement of an engine ;) Interesting what you mentioned about the dealer though - I didn't know that could be changed with VAG-COM/dealer tools, but you learn something new every day :thumbup:

Chris

Yeah but engine size is one thing, having a remapped ECU is a bit harder to spot.

Reading off the flash and having a look will take what 10 minutes tops for somebody who knows what they are doing with the right tools.

Taking the head off an engine or even trying to find the details on an engine will take just as long if not longer.

If you don't declare and stuff it, I'd expect an insurance company to know or find out very easily.

I know of a loss adjuster who says that there is a profile for an owner that is more likely to have done it and in certain accident types it will often be checked.

A remapped ECU is easy to spot if you're looking for it. Probably much easier than measuring the displacement of an engine ;)

Yep, I'd have tended to think a remapped ECU was impossible to spot (maybe obvious if you drive the car though) up until recently, but I have seen too many posts on here and other sites about people being 'caught' with remaps.

On bikes it usually has the cc stamped at the bottom of the block (visible externally from the side of the bike) but I am not sure that this is the case with car engine blocks.

I know of a loss adjuster who says that there is a profile for an owner that is more likely to have done it and in certain accident types it will often be checked.

Hmm. I don't suppose he/she gave any more than that away though?

If I had to have a stab at the profile I think I could guess roughly what they are looking for car wise. I suppose other mods fitted to the car will always arouse suspicion, beit aftermarket alloys or ARBs etc, although they might not consider cars with ICE-only mods to be as likely to be chipped as one with performance mods.

Then there is the owner as well...I suppose you give a lot away by how you talk about the accident, the car etc without them even having to ask direct questions about your level of interest in performance and cars in general; if you are talking about the 'shiny metal round bits' it is likely the only mods you made were the RSPB sticker. OTOH, having a good understanding of cars, engines, physics, traction etc making you more likely to have enhanced the car...knowledge exactly like a lot of us on motoring forums will have, regardless of whether we have chipped or not...

They're after US!

Tinfoil hats for sale here: www.paranoiahats.com :D