sick DSG 'tavia

oh dear........after spouting off numerous times about the brilliance and reliabilty of octavias I have been let down....

not going to jump to blame the car yet as I suspect the problem made be man made.... the story so far.

Car was in for a service last week - 38,000 mls. I requested teh windscreen be checked as i suspect it is de-laminating, sure enough its to get new screen under warranty.

Was also told there was a faulty drive shaft boot that need repalced under warranty, this was later refered to as a faulty driveahaft :confused: and sure enough the previouslt silent driveshaft got noisyer in the next week.

Anyway, got a call last week to say parts were in and took catr into the dealers this morning. Replaced the driveshaft but screen wasn't in stock after all:mad:

after about 20 mls on way home the gearshift started to get jerky, then reluctant to change at all. Would feel as if it was chaging down then would go back to teh original gear. when I was with in 5 mls of home the dash lights (that show what gear its in) started to flash and I lost all drive. stopped for a bit then got going again and managed to limp home.

phone Skoda Assisted who were very helpfull and sent out the man from the RAC. He "thinks" low transmission fluid so looks possible that A0 fluid has been lost at driveshaft change and not replaced or B) something is not sealed and fluid has gone AWOL :finger:

Naturally dealers were shut by this time. Skoda assist are going to arrange collection tomorrow. Will reserve final judgement till I hear back from the dealers but........

Odd, the driveshaft removal doesnt require any fluid loss as the shaft is bolted to an output flange.

So it is possible the driveshaft has come loose and drive has been lost or maybe even the inner joint has come apart.

The DSG oil and filter should be/should have been changed at 40k.

Is there oil under the car?

there was certainly fresh oil around the driveshaft area when I stopped the car, whether this was leakage or fluids that were spilled during the shaft change I cannot say.

certainly no sign of a gear oil filter or gear oil on the 40K service invoice.

And VW have started voiding any gearbox warranty on the DSG if the serivice is not carried out on the box at 40k.

not at 40K yet, although had the service at 38K, surely if it's part of the service routine it's the dealers problem if they didn't do it!. will get this done when it's in dock - might need lots of oil anyway!!!!

I also had a service at around 38k miles - but they didn't change the DSG oil. When I rang the dealer (having read about it on here, and checked in the service schedule), they had no idea how much it would cost, and admitted they'd only ever done it once before, and that was as a result of something else and the engine had been out of the car.

As you can imagine I wasn't filled with confidence, but it's been done now and all seems well. For info I think it cost around £120.

Seems Skoda aren't fully up to speed on this oil change.

well, Skoda Assist have been very helpful so far and sent the RAC to take car to dealers this morning.

Mechanics were just finishing for the day but one took a quick look - "oh - lots of gear oil sprayed about underneath, how unusual" said he. Well even I could see that!!.

I mentioned that it had been in for a driveshaft change but be confirmed whwt Lummox said - this is a "dry" change that should have no fluid loss.

Anyway, they have given me a car to keep me going so will just have to wait to see what they say on monday.

Surely it should be a warranty fix - lucky that you hadn't gone beyond the 40k miles! Amazed that Skoda didn't try and "sell" you that oil change with the 38K service as they do with brake fluid and haldex oil changes as and when they are due. :confused:

I wonder where you would stand if you had past the 40K and the dealership hadn't informed you that a change was due........ probably on your own with your wallet having been raped!:irked:

Be sure to report the outcome back.

Good luck with it mate. :thumbup:

Update -

Dealer says there was absolutly not invasion of the gearbox when chaging the driveshaft and tha the "oil" is grease from the shaft that has heated, thinned and spread. Seems an awfull lot of the stuff to me but they are adamant that the problem was not caused by them and that the oil is all still in the gearbox. That in itself is a releif.

They admit they don't know what the problem is and are talking Skoda UK. SUK's latest information is that it may be the "metatronic control unit", whatever that is! - any of the techies on here know??

anyway - watch this space.......

Update -

Dealer says there was absolutly not invasion of the gearbox when chaging the driveshaft and tha the "oil" is grease from the shaft that has heated, thinned and spread. Seems an awfull lot of the stuff to me but they are adamant that the problem was not caused by them and that the oil is all still in the gearbox. That in itself is a releif.

They admit they don't know what the problem is and are talking Skoda UK. SUK's latest information is that it may be the "metatronic control unit", whatever that is! - any of the techies on here know??

anyway - watch this space.......

Has it had a Romeo Echo Mike Alpha Papa ? :)

well after 10 days of discussion the dealers and SKODA UK have finally decided thatthey need to replace the Mechatronic Control Unit :confused: :confused: , so have decided to order one.......

Dealers admit they have never seen a similar problem and are relying on technical back up from SUK.

They have provided me with an almost new Fabia2 1.9 TDI in the meantime, which I am, thankfully, enjoying driving............at least it's keeping 500 mile a week of my clock.

There are only a few things that a dealer can do with a DSG box, a mechatronic unit is one of them. Its the unit that bolts up inside the front of the box, it handles the changing/slection of the gears.

thanks for the explanation - hope this solves the problem or i'll be after a new box.......thank friday for the warranty

• 2 weeks later...

another week gone an still no closer to a resolution. Dealer has been pretty helpful but had to wait on Skoda diagnoing the prolem, which took 10 days and have now waited 2 1/2 weeks for the part. Seemingly this "mechatronic control box" is chassis specific and cann't just be supplied off the shelf.

They may fail very infrequently but my patience is beginning to wear a bit thin. Mk2 Fabia they have supplied is a nice little car, and I have put about 2K miles on teh clock butcomes a time when you want your own motor back:(

• 2 weeks later...

the sorry saga continues.

Control box was fitted on Friday, dealer wanted to keep the car pver the weekend to make sure all was ok. Was sightly concerned when they didn't phone yesterday but didn't get time to call them

Phone call came mid afternoon to day, start with the line ..."i'm going to be up front and honest about this....". oh dear thinks me.

Car was "better" but still not selecting gears properly. They checked gearbox oil pressure and it was low. Apparently pressure is critical to DSG boxes. Then proceeded to investigate and stripped off the driveshaft that was fitted just before it broke down and I have been told that they found some "strange" marks and a small puncture in the gearbox casing.......Well I told them that there was a lot of oil around that area when the RAC man rescued me 6 weeks ago!!!

conclusions are easily drawn. I am going in on Friday to see the damage for myself. Dealer has "suggested" that they may be able to repair the damaged casing but I don't think I would be happy with that, so will wait to see what they have to say on Friday.

On the plus side my faith in teh mechanical soundness of the DSG box is restore and the service managed has been very honest and upfront.