Adding 3rd rear head restraint

Clive618

Would really like to add the centre rear head rest to my Fabia. Done a few searches on here which seem to suggest this should be a straightforward process. Went to the dealer to price up the parts and it looks to be in the region of sixty something quid all told, not cheap but not too bad, considering the original option was in the region of £45 IIRC. The parts guy was most concerned at my thinking of tampering with the car though, worrying about dire consequences like torn upholstery and whether the seat back was different and the guide tubes wouldn't fit. In light of this, I just thought I'd check on here whether anyone is aware of any problems I might encounter before I commit to spending the money and cutting holes in my trim!

Sounds like a good idea, i would have thought the holes would be in the rear seat so you just gotta find where they are!

The like you said just a case of fitted the guide tubes and then fitting the headrest.

I for one would be interested to see pics and the finished result if you go for it.

this is a straight forward easy jod.

The holes and fixings for the guides are in the rear seat. all you have to do is feel along the top of the rear seat and you will easily feel where the holes are. using a very sharp blade cut just enough of the fabric away to match the hole underneath. take your time and do a neat job you dont want to cut the hole to big as you ideally want to stretch the fabic round the guide. there is no need the treat the cut cloth with anything as it wont unravel or tear. the guides are sided so make sure you fit them them to the right hole.

then all you have to do is bang them in and they clik lock into place. once there in they are in for good. the whole job took me about 30 mins and looks factory fit. mind you I was very nervious about cutting my seat as mine has leather

hope this helps

this is a straight forward easy jod.

using a very sharp blade cut just enough of the fabric away to match the hole underneath. take your time and do a neat job you dont want to cut the hole to big as you ideally want to stretch the fabic round the guide.

I just made two very small cuts with a stanley knife in the shape of a cross above the insert holes and pushed the headrest legs through the cuts, the result was perfect and easier than trying to cut holes. :D

I just made two very small cuts with a stanley knife in the shape of a cross above the insert holes and pushed the headrest legs through the cuts, the result was perfect and easier than trying to cut holes. :D

I take it from this comment that you didnt fit the headrest guides. the headrest is just loose in the holes??

No, I fitted the guides and the headrest after recovering it, see the other thread mentioned by "GlacierNR" earlier in this thread. :thumbup:

My comment should have stated that the guides were also pushed through the cuts and not just the headrest legs, the tops of the guides being circular hide the small cuts and the end result looks just like the original fitments. :)

Would really like to add the centre rear head rest to my Fabia. Done a few searches on here which seem to suggest this should be a straightforward process. Went to the dealer to price up the parts and it looks to be in the region of sixty something quid all told, not cheap but not too bad, considering the original option was in the region of £45 IIRC. The parts guy was most concerned at my thinking of tampering with the car though, worrying about dire consequences like torn upholstery and whether the seat back was different and the guide tubes wouldn't fit. In light of this, I just thought I'd check on here whether anyone is aware of any problems I might encounter before I commit to spending the money and cutting holes in my trim!

That price the dealer quoted you might be a good price........ When the original thread was going i was quoted around £80-90 inc. VAT for the centre headrest which is why i've been scouring ebay etc.... ever since as i wasn't bothered about paying nearly double the original option price of £45.

Unless your dealer has missed something or hasn't added VAT.

Just out of interest the parts i was quoted for were.......

Headrest frame

Headrest foam insert

Headrest cover

Mounting rings

Is this what you have the price for???

Cheers

Dave.