Garage overfilled oil

*tim*

Had my 10k service done last week, and have just checked the oil. It's 5mm above the maximum level, not impressed :(

Why did I bother paying a skoda dealer for a service, when they can't even do an oil change correctly. Phoned the dealer and I'm waiting for them to call me back with a solution, he suggested I drive it the 50miles back to the garage :thumbdwn:

Really silly question but are you sure the car was level when you checked?

Oi, stop sticking up for the dealers :rofl: Yes, I'm SURE ;)

RAC are on there way away to 'see what they can do'. Nice of the dealer to palm the problem off onto someone else :rolleyes:

They often overfill by a little bit - it won't do any harm :)

But why have a maximum level, if the dealers are just going to ignore it?

Oh, should of said earlier, it smells of burning oil so must be leaking out somewhere. At first I thought it might of been split oil on the case, but it hasn't gone away in a 100 and something miles.

I can't understand why the dealers are so inept either - I had exactly the same problem with my Superb diesel. There are TWO warnings in the engine compartment cautioning against filling above the max line. The PD engines are marginal for blow-by oil via the breather and damage to the oxidation catylist is likely if the engine is overfilled.

I sorted mine out by removing the cap for the oil filter with a cold engine and letting the filter element drain into a tray. About the right amount of excess oil was held in the pleats. Re-assemble the drained element to the engine, start up and recheck level. Easy. Ifyour garage has grossly overfilled the engine, drain the element again after starting the engine.

The dealers are complete numptys - never again.

rotodiesel.

Reason I asked is that I have lost count of the times I have topped up cars and then checked a few hours later to find too much in it because the car wasn't quite level.

Having never had to top my VRS up in over 50k I wouldn't know what could happen.

My local dealer is quite the opposite. Sorted everything out in good time with good service and a generally great attitude.

As said above the level was 5mm onto the flat section of the dipstick.

The RAC man has just been and sucked out some oil from the filter housing, and it is now within the hatched area. Phew

BIG :thumbup: to the RAC, and Skoda Assist :)

BIG :thumbdwn: to ALS Lock of Ely :(

Looks like its next service will be at Jabba. Maybe with a bit of tinkering at the same time :o

glad everything came to a happy ending - i would undo the drain plug a little with a torx key and let some out - might be better than spending time and money going back to the dealers - plus you`ve got a little bit of spare oil -

glad everything came to a happy ending - i would undo the drain plug a little with a torx key and let some out - might be better than spending time and money going back to the dealers - plus you`ve got a little bit of spare oil -

But how can you use the spare oil that went up your sleeve?

The dealer overfilled my Fabia VRS on it's 10,000 mile service too! For a few weeks after i had top mop up oil that had forced it's way out of the filler cap. I complained, and subsequent oil changes have left the car underfilled!

I don't understand how it happens :(

Just been on the phone to dealer again, and arranged to meet him later on this week whilst the cars in for warranty work. I hope that we manage to come to an amicable decision.

However, whatever happens it seems unlikely that I shall be using their service department again.

As to saving used oil or even drinking it :rofl: