ASR??? What is it :S

• 10 months later...

The system works very well when it is really needed. The other week my wife had a trye blow on the M27 doing around 95mph. With all the onboard electronics she managed to control the car to a stop on the hard shoulder. God only now how she would have ended up in her ford KA do the same speed.

The system works very well when it is really needed. The other week my wife had a trye blow on the M27 doing around 95mph. With all the onboard electronics she managed to control the car to a stop on the hard shoulder. God only now how she would have ended up in her ford KA do the same speed.

This thread is a nearly a year

I can't see how ASR would help in that situation tbh. It too stop wheel spin on the fronts in a loss of traction scenario i.e. slippery wet road or just too much right foot at the traffic light grand prix. I ain't gonna help slow you down imo.

I think you could mean ESP perhaps which would more beneficial I reckon.

Well to be honest i think in the wet i would always have it on as it makes the ride much more stable, especially on back roads. In the dry i just drive in a way that it very rarley comes on. I think some times especially in higher gears ( 2 and 3) when you lose grip it is good as it controls a wheel spin and the car re-grips and its only when pulling away in first it cant cope and you look like you have stalled!

I personally i rarley take it off.

Funny thing happens with my ASR. Sometimes the ASR light comes on mid journey, then stays on till the end of the journey, on next restart all OK.

Doesn't bother me too much as it has no effect on driving and won't result in an MOT failure, but having said that I'd prefer to either get rid of the fault or totally disable the system.

Funny thing happens with my ASR. Sometimes the ASR light comes on mid journey, then stays on till the end of the journey, on next restart all OK.

Doesn't bother me too much as it has no effect on driving and won't result in an MOT failure, but having said that I'd prefer to either get rid of the fault or totally disable the system.

Get the car scanned asap. Sounds like you have a problem somewhere.

HTH

I turn mine off every time I drive and I agree about the throttle response being a bit sharper without it on. My right foot is far more able to control things than the billy basic system in the vRS. On more modern cars it isn't such an issue.

It's alright for the average Joe though.

Not a patch on ESP admittedly.

I'd say it's quite dangerous though.

Reasons why was that i was pulling from a right turn junction and one wheel went over a drain cover and started to slip. The ASR totally cut the power at the same time i had lifted off to control it and I'm now dead in the road with a car coming towards me albeith not so close i couldn't move away.

Could be quite nasty in the wrong conditions.

yeah but.

if you are already at the adherence limit

and if you getting yourself in a tight spot, just because the ASR cuts power for 1/3 of a second.

Surely there is something wrong with you and the way you take your roundabouts????

I love to get it to light up like a christmas tree, but not if it means cars coming to me and no power/traction to get myself out of the line of fire

stop being silly now

If you're taking a r/bout and you have plenty of grip because you have the accelerator down and are pushing weight to the back wheels then ASR cuts the power, the rear will come around as you get lift off understeer.

You were driving well within the limits of grip, it's just that ASR changed that for you 205GTI style.

Never good.