Britain's Two Lane Motorways...........

Auric Goldfinger

On a flying trip to London Yesterday from Yorkshire I was amazed to see the M1 has turned into a Two Lane Motorway. At one point for over half a mile lane one was empty, lane two was full or cars all doing 65ish and lane 3 was occupied by some to$$er in an old pug doing 66ish and barley making headway and caused nothing but congestion and then refused to pull in when there was a gap....:mad:...Do older cars not have mirrors..:confused:. think some news ones don't either.............

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to my top gripe.

Crappy roads full of crappy drivers that have no road sense and posses no concept of how their driving affects other road users.

BTW, what did you think of the new car park they've installed from J11 to J6?

Is that the bit around the Luton area, about 10 miles worth of road works etc etc........Not to bad on a sunday, traffic was moving ok. Can't see the point of making it wider though, all that's going to happen is the 2 lane brigade will move 2 lanes further to the right and then the 2 inside lanes will be empty.........:(

It's odd really that middle lane hoggers is the gripe of so many British drivers and yet still so many do it.

It's about time the Police took some positive action and enforced the Highway Code in that area.

Some people are very much still of the assumption that Lane one is the 'Slow Lane' or 'Lorry Lane'

Yeah, Luton down to the M25, it's been going on for well over two years so far which is not surprising since they've only got 5 men working on it at any one time.

...Some people are very much still of the assumption that Lane one is the 'Slow Lane' or 'Lorry Lane'...

Unless it's slow going when it becomes the 'fast' lane as it's full of truckers that know to keep a low average speed and not full of k.nobs that constantly accelerate/brake.

I think people do know that they're meant to move back to the left after overtaking, but they don't because if they do move over, no-one will let them back out again when they reach the next vehicle they want to overtake and with high volumes of traffic, it's simply not worth it.

Still, if lanes 2 and 3 are "queueing" then a lane 1 undertake might be acceptable ;):D

Chris

Learners should be beaten soundly with the Highway Code till they recount the mantra ‘OVERTAKING LANES….NOT FAST LANES’ in their sleep

Though in fairness, from my observation the problem seems to be more prevalent in a different demograpic (who probably didn't need to read a Highway Code before being allowed to pass their test). :)

Rob.

Yup I hate this. I do alot of motorway miles and people just don't seem to know. Even if you flash them (lights :P) they still do not move over, or probably even notice. It seems to be an increasing problem.

And now the police are/have made stiffer penalties if you undertake! If someone has space to undertake then there was space for the person they were trying to get past to move over - so why not pull them instead!

And why is motorway driving not included in the driving test? There seem to be as many young drivers doing in now as older ones

.... and as for minicab drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Though in fairness, from my observation the problem seems to be more prevalent in a different demograpic (who probably didn't need to read a Highway Code before being allowed to pass their test). :)

Rob.

I think you will find we all need to read the highway code.

Even if you flash them (lights :P) they still do not move over, or probably even notice.

I've given up on this one - increasingly people seem to take it as a personal affront, and while some are happy to just give an easily disregarded hand gesture as they move over, others then proceed to tailgate and follow. And these days there are too many nutters for that to be a desirable situation... :(

Rob.

Still, if lanes 2 and 3 are "queueing" then a lane 1 undertake might be acceptable ;):D

Chris

Written like a true Mondeo driver! :P :rofl:

Still, the problem is certainly getting worse, but not only on motorways but also dual carriage ways. I'm not the worlds greatest driver but even I still use the left lane unless I'm overtaking someone, yet the amount of cars that sit in the right lane at 35 on a 40 mph dual carriage way or at 65 in the outside lane of a motorway is getting out of hand. :mad:

Personally I blame the whole speeding crack down that has been going on, people are now afraid to go near the speed limit in case they get pulled or flashed by a scamera, the police also seem to be told (I'm sure the coppers on here will be able to confirm it if its true) to concentrate on speeders too.

Written like a true Mondeo driver! :P :rofl:

Personally I blame the whole speeding crack down that has been going on, people are now afraid to go near the speed limit in case they get pulled or flashed by a scamera, the police also seem to be told (I'm sure the coppers on here will be able to confirm it if its true) to concentrate on speeders too.

True in some cases.................but the sight of a police car doing 65 in the inside lane brings sheer horror :eek: ............every one slows down and are afraid to overtake it.......this causes more conjestion.............darn right dangerous.