Britain's Two Lane Motorways...........

Auric Goldfinger

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i hate to say it but i refuse to move out into another lane unless im overtaking someone. so i will undertake these muppets who sit in the middle lane causing congestion and untold irratation!

i know its technically wrong, but i never go over 70mph while doing it, so technically it would make it a traffic situation and that means im just flowing with the traffic.

im sure there will be people who dissagree but i think its stupid to all sit like sheep in the 2 and 3rd lanes waiting for some ignorant fool to move over, and more often than not the middle laner will pull in after someones undertaken them. i see it so often! its like a reminder that they should be in the left lane!

It is not illegal to undertake and the only time when you will be pulled up on it is if you are driving recklessly/carelessly and causing inconvenience to other drivers (eg flying down lane 1 and then trying to force themselves into the credit card sized gap between two cars).

On a 4 lane road with a MLH in lane 3 would you bother moving out from lane 1 to lane 4 and back again to overtake?

Chris

On a 4 lane road with a MLH in lane 3 would you bother moving out from lane 1 to lane 4 and back again to overtake?

I do and people tend to follow my lead on it as well. Its 50/50 as to if the muppet takes notice though.

The A34 becomes one lane round here and there's me pottering up the inside at 50 and seem to be going faster than all the lane hoggers in the outside and no im not breaking the law as the outside lane seem to be a constant stream of brake lights.

There is no fast or slow lane on the motorway they are called lane 1, lane 2, lane 3 and so forth. The highway code clearly states that you drive in lane 1 and only use lane 2 to overtake. But people dont understand that, some wont let you back out again and others will tailgate just to stop you moving out. Clearly the police need to get out and do something instead of using speed cameras to do their job.

What is the exact charge for driving in the middle lane, i know it can be a 3 pointer, but is it driving without due care and attention or something else?

some to$$er in an old pug doing 66ish and barley making headway and caused nothing but congestion and then refused to pull in when there was a gap....:mad:...Do older cars not have mirrors..:confused:. think some news ones don't either.............

Was it an old 205 with no wheel trims and the exhaust held on with a bit of string, cos think have may seen it chugging around our area :confused:

Unless it's slow going when it becomes the 'fast' lane as it's full of truckers that know to keep a low average speed and not full of k.nobs that constantly accelerate/brake.

My favourite rush-hour, motorway game is to pick an outside lane, tailgating 'tard in a poverty spec 3-series(:D) and beat him over the 8 or so miles to my turn off without moving from the inside lane.

All my gripes from my daily drive in one post.

M1 road works

Middle lane hogs

Crossing all 3 lanes

But you missed out international uphill truck racing. Yes when one truck might catch the one in front in 20 miles time, so proceeds to overtake - usually on a hill.

We need no overtaking for truck signs like they have in Germany.

Oh, and Police back on the motorways to help enforce driver standards. HA just acts like a challenge/red rag to a bull for bad drivers.

no-one will let them back out again when they reach the next vehicle they want to overtake and with high volumes of traffic, it's simply not worth it.

No-one needs to let them out- they just need to judge it correctly.

True in some cases.................but the sight of a police car doing 65 in the inside lane brings sheer horror :eek: ............every one slows down and are afraid to overtake it.......this causes more conjestion.............darn right dangerous.

I recently had a van in front of me hogging L3 refusing to overtake a copper at 65mph. In the end, the copper came out in front of me (I flashed him out), he flashed the van out of the way, the copper pulled back in, I overtook. Talk about drawinbg attention to yourself. This was on the M5 in rush hour.

I make a point of overtaking police cars with a decent amount of speed, if only to make a point to the idiots sticking to 67.5mph all around them. Perhaps this is what the coppers are waiting for, but they've never paid any attention yet. They probably weren't on the black ;)

A couple of years back I was in a proper hurry to get to Sheffield from down south (flight to catch), and was stuck in the middle lane, nose to tail, outside the same, nothing on the inside at 65. Nothing at all. This was on the up and down section of the M1 just north of Leicester (the 'badlands' as I think of it). It's not right and I'm not particularly proud of it, but I moved to the inside and cruised (honest) past several hundred yards of cars in lanes two and three to emerge, all of a sudden, into empty motorway...and I bet the gimmer at the front of the queue said "hooligan" as I undertook him.

I am not sure as to the validity of this, but I think I read somewhere that a Policeman reckoned if you were undertaking a stream of traffic because they where slowing to a speed slower than your steady cruise, then it was sort of OK. Seems a little far fetched, but I feel there might be a grain of truth in there somewhere.

I make a point of overtaking police cars with a decent amount of speed, if only to make a point to the idiots sticking to 67.5mph all around them. Perhaps this is what the coppers are waiting for, but they've never paid any attention yet. They probably weren't on the black ;)

A couple of years back I was in a proper hurry to get to Sheffield from down south (flight to catch), and was stuck in the middle lane, nose to tail, outside the same, nothing on the inside at 65. Nothing at all. This was on the up and down section of the M1 just north of Leicester (the 'badlands' as I think of it). It's not right and I'm not particularly proud of it, but I moved to the inside and cruised (honest) past several hundred yards of cars in lanes two and three to emerge, all of a sudden, into empty motorway...and I bet the gimmer at the front of the queue said "hooligan" as I undertook him.

I did something similar on the m62... as we approached a section where lane 3 being closed off all the traffic filtered into lane 2, but lane 1 remained empty for me to cruise passed them all. :rolleyes:

I am not sure as to the validity of this, but I think I read somewhere that a Policeman reckoned if you were undertaking a stream of traffic because they where slowing to a speed slower than your steady cruise, then it was sort of OK. Seems a little far fetched, but I feel there might be a grain of truth in there somewhere.
Were you thinking of this?

From the Highway Code:

163 Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
  • not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

But you missed out international uphill truck racing. Yes when one truck might catch the one in front in 20 miles time, so proceeds to overtake - usually on a hill.

We need no overtaking for truck signs like they have in Germany.

There's a section on the M42 (where it's two-lane) where they do have signs like this. Trucks aren't allowed to overtake at certain times of the day (7am to 7pm I think).

If and when (which is once in a blue moon) I see a motorway copper I always make a point of over taking him*. The speed limit's 70 so if he's doing 65 I'm fully within my rights to overtake him.

*(Obviously not when he's doing 120 with his blues and twos on cos that would be silly. Plus I don't think he'd be best pleased being done by a Fabia as we all know it's fastest and bestest car on the road :rolleyes::))

:D :D

Can we issue a public evacuation for Shropshire?

There maybe a KLM shaped detonation in the immediate future

:D:D:D

lol - was driving back from Hemel at the weekend. By the time I had got through the M1 roadworks and Sunday driver traffic I was about ready to kill. Oh well - I think as traffic continues to increase things will only get worse. Such is life.

Mark

*(Obviously not when he's doing 120 with his blues and twos on cos that would be silly. Plus I don't think he'd be best pleased being done by a Fabia as we all know it's fastest and bestest car on the road :rolleyes::))

Only if you were driving a 2l fabia obviously!! Were you driving one of these they wouldn't even bother trying to pull you over as they would know they didn't stand a chance of catching you!

police officers are told to keep to 60mph and the inside lane on the motorway unless they are after someone or on blues n twos as they know that most people drive above 70 and its known that when everyone sees a cop car they will stick to 70 and this will cause bottlenecks or even accidents, thus why they have to stick to 60 ;)