Octavia I - Lumbar Support Repair

trundlenut

Great stuff, so from reading about this. I'm not sure do I need to get a repair kit from Skoda or do we have to make a bodge job up of where it's broken?

I am asuming the £100-£200 quoted is for Main Stealers to do it rather than the repair parts?

• 1 year later...

Interesting.

Although slightly off topic I have not long bought my car from an approved dealer and on the test drives it was fine but having done a couple of long trips now I am getting severe, and I mean severe, back ache from the seat.

Tried experimenting positions ** but not yet found a good one ( ** seat :D)

There is a bar that runs across the seat that appears to be pressing into my lower back? Now that you have dismantled the seat do you think this could be causing me problems and would it be under warranty (Car still has 11 months to run?)

Hello chaps,

Appologies for the thread reserection. First post but the above quote couldn't put it any better.

Just got a Octy Mk1 - brief test drive showed no seat discomfort but now, anything more than 20 mins and I get more and more backache. I find the lumbar support is awful - it's like balancing your back on half an orange. Turning the car into a bend and my body rolls off the raised middle lumbar support into the dip of the side of the seat.

I was going to put Golf mk4 seats in but the insurance company weren't happy about it.

The only other option is try to dismantle the lumbar support to create a flat seat or failing that maybe even sell the car.

Shame because otherwise I kind of l like the more involved driving experince of an older car.

Great site by the way and I've managed to solve several problems by using the search.

James

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

thanks to this thread I managed to fix the lumber support in my Octavia today.

I had a different fault so I thought I'd post the fix here in case someone else has the same problem.

I had the same symptoms as the other posts here. While stretching I heard the twang of a spring and suddenly the back support wasn't there anymore.

Without removing the seat I opened the back up as shown above.
Luckily all springs and cables looked to be ok and in position. 
What had broken was the plastic T-shaped arm. (See crude addition to a photo I borrowed from above. The red line indicates the break)
This arm holds the cable and when tension is applied brings the lumbar support forwards.
I glued the piece back together. I then put the T-shaped arm back into place, did not lock into position just yet.
It was awkward to get the cable back into the slot as it is in the picture. So I disconnected the lower wire from the snaps on the lumbar support for a little more movement.
You need to get the metal at the end of the plastic cable sleeve lower than the slot in the T-shaped arm to thread it into place.
Once that was done I locked the T of the arm into place. Snapped the bottom wire into the lumbar support and put the seat back together.
Job done, happy out.
lumbar_zps50852d96.jpg