Fabia Mk1 vs Mk2

VRSDanny

Hey guys anyone else driven the two to compare?

I currently have a Mk1 VRS and its in the garage today over my turbo noise to make sure its nothing serious, while it is in they gave me a loan car, a 1.2 Fabia Mk2 in red.

Iv been a bit eager to see how they compare and looked forward to being tempted into getting one............after gettin in the cab i was rather disappointed to say the least. The build quality and plastics dont seem to be to the same standard as the first one and although it looks bigger than the mk1 from the outside i think it feels smaller on the inside. It still drove pretty nice and obviously I wasnt comparing performance, as for the handleing I felt it was a bit too light and less driver involving, and the stalks I notice have been replaced for the same ones out of the Seats rather than those from the VW's. All in all i found it a bit of a let down, and just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Not been in a MKII but had a Roomster which was very similar inside and didn't really like it. The centre console caught my knee and felt kind of mickey mouse in its design, but that's my personal opinion. Might have been down to the fact it was built in cheap white plastic though as it felt so low budget.

I liked the Maxidot though....that was nice. :D

Not been in a MKII but had a Roomster which was very similar inside and didn't really like it. The centre console caught my knee and felt kind of mickey mouse in its design, but that's my personal opinion. Might have been down to the fact it was built in cheap white plastic though as it felt so low budget.

I liked the Maxidot though....that was nice. :D

Yeh same problem which i forgot to mention - knee kept catchin for me too.

And yes i think its the same cheap white plastic!

Forgot to mention too.....had no engine temp gauge too, so the display was not 'that' good. Does the MKII have this?

not that i noticed. Its poor display tbh - all crammed in centre of dials, radio is awful too - its just a huge like i dunno, looks bigger than a double din (looks like treble lol).

Presumably the 1.2 is a low spec model? Just thinking that my 2000W Mk1 interior is not nearly as nice as the Mk1 VRS; similarly an early Mk2 may not be in the same league as a Mk2 (or even Mk1) VRS.

I thought that at first, but they only chance certain parts dont they, surely it will be essentially the same......dont get me wrong its nice, but it reminds more of the VW fox instead of an audi......jus doesnt seem well put together, feels budgety, i went in a 1.2mpi fabia n the dashboard was pretty much the same as mine in the VRS.....

Snazzier does not equal better IMO....they've used even more white thus adding to the cheap feel.

I think they heard the complaints of the MK1 being too dull and decided to go the other way and make it more interesting, but in a knee jerk reaction style. In other words their panic to make it more funky ended up making it look daft, and on a low budget this is a receipe for disaster.

skoda_roomster_interior.jpg

As per this pic, the centre console is fine down to the bottom of that screen but after that feels as cheap as you can get and looks half assed IMO.

Yeah it looks less plain I'll agree.

In the same was as:

podcast.jpg

looks less plain than say....

audi_s3_uff_800_01.jpg

But which would you rather have? :D

well i think yellow n black go wel together soo............hmmmmm lmao

yeh it is very poor, n i aint jus got it today :( may have it all week, looks like i need a new turbo, possible a new clutch, cant moan as its al warranty but still :(

Huh!

I get the impression that some people just don't want to like the new Fabia in any cirumstances.

We've had ours for nearly six months. Its still smells new, hasn't any squeaks or rattles and doesn't leak. I don't agree about the fit and finish - everything on ours is nice and tight.

Its roomy inside and a doddle to drive and does nearly 50mpg on a run. Insurance is group 2.

The cheaper ones are around £8k. I would assume that the new VRS, whenever it comes out, and will be £12-13k, with hopefully, more suitable trim.

Andy

It's the trim that puts me off. Don't get me wrong it may be a nice car but in terms of tasteful interiors it just doesn't work for me. The missus doesn't like them either and she's even less fussy than me. 'Too tall' and 'awful inside' were her words after getting up close to one.

The vRS will be interesting when that comes out. Bet is has stupid white seats again.....

Huh!

I get the impression that some people just don't want to like the new Fabia in any cirumstances.

We've had ours for nearly six months. Its still smells new, hasn't any squeaks or rattles and doesn't leak. I don't agree about the fit and finish - everything on ours is nice and tight.

Andy

Huzzah for someone with sense, and not a "la-la-la I hate the new things" attitude :thumbup:

when my Mk1 1.2 Sport was in for its first service, to satisfy my curiosity i took a new 1.2 Fabia 2 out for a quick test drive. Have to say i was very dissapointed with it, it didnt feel as solid as my Fabia does and i found the cabin to be a little cheap. I was also dissapointed with the engine too, i really like the 1.2 in my car, but the newer one, despite it being 70bhp rather than 64, just didnt feel as good.

on the plus side, i did like the brakes a lot better. defo wont be swapping mine for a new one tho, me and my Mk1 Furby Sport will be friends for a long time lol

Yeah it looks less plain I'll agree.

In the same was as:

podcast.jpg

looks less plain than say....

But which would you rather have? :D

:drool:Anytime

Still getting back to the Fabia Mk II Interior , sat in one the other Saturday - that was a Fabia 2 1.2 in the showroom with all black dash - compared to what the other cars I sat in, it wasnt bad at all - Honda Jazz was terrible with plastic silver trim and the instruments were very deep set. Peugot 206 - the radio had a separate display in the upper dash which looked very cheap n nasty.

New Fabia its a nice car, having a sat it will have to do a road test review sometime.

when my Mk1 1.2 Sport was in for its first service, to satisfy my curiosity i took a new 1.2 Fabia 2 out for a quick test drive. Have to say i was very dissapointed with it, it didnt feel as solid as my Fabia does and i found the cabin to be a little cheap. I was also dissapointed with the engine too, i really like the 1.2 in my car, but the newer one, despite it being 70bhp rather than 64, just didnt feel as good.

on the plus side, i did like the brakes a lot better. defo wont be swapping mine for a new one tho, me and my Mk1 Furby Sport will be friends for a long time lol

Interesting comment - have the same engine too, in what way wasn't it as good ?

Huzzah for someone with sense, and not a "la-la-la I hate the new things" attitude :thumbup:

Why does everyone assume this as soon as people give an honest personal opinion of a car. We all bought Fabia's cos of the MKI.....there was no other Fabia at the time. Then when the MKII comes out (and many MKI owners don't like it) everyone starts screaming luddite and accusing people of hating new things. That's not the case at all. I just don't think it's a step up from the old one which is one of the main reasons manufacturers develop new versions of models. The interior (my main dislike and subject of all my posts on this thread) is its biggest let down and many seem to agree.

Exterior looks wise, yeah it's ok. Quirky in the typical Skoda way but ok. Having said that, if it weren't for the vRS I wouldn't even own a MKI as I find them bland to look at.

Needs bigger wheels to counteract the height and a few subtle styling changes here and there to look 100% in the aesthetics department IMO.

Why does everyone assume this as soon as people give an honest personal opinion of a car. We all bought Fabia's cos of the MKI.....there was no other Fabia at the time. Then when the MKII comes out (and many MKI owners don't like it) everyone starts screaming luddite and accusing people of hating new things. That's not the case at all. I just don't think it's a step up from the old one which is one of the main reasons manufacturers develop new versions of models. The interior (my main dislike and subject of all my posts on this thread) is its biggest let down and many seem to agree.

Exterior looks wise, yeah it's ok. Quirky in the typical Skoda way but ok. Having said that, if it weren't for the vRS I wouldn't even own a MKI as I find them bland to look at.

Needs bigger wheels to counteract the height and a few subtle styling changes here and there to look 100% in the aesthetics department IMO.

I agree 100% with your comments!