Service dilemma

Hi.

My 2005 Octavia 1.9TD told me it was due a service a few weeks ago. It had its first service last October at 18500 miles, about 17 months after purchase. It's noted as a QG1 in the service book.

Is it coincidence that the service indicator appeared exactly 12 months since the last service? :rubchin: Its done just short of 10,000 miles in this time.

The first service had an oil change using Castrol fully synthetic and I always top up with the same.

Am I to expect a service every 12 months on a car that could last me another 10 years? :confused:

I suppose I'm sceptical about dealers :irked: and don't want to be ripped off for a service that is not necessary :argue:. I'm also looking at going to Rochdale Horners who haven't had a good report on this forum.

Anyone got any suggestions please? :help: The Skoda is an excellent car btw......

Red

Seems like you have been the victim of a switch to 'fixed' from 'variable' at your first service; same as Octy6 in this thread;- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/service-countdown-after-service/95049/

If you are on variable and did the first service at 18500 miles/17 months I'd expect a similar gap to your second, unless you have wildly changed your driving pattern and are now crawling around in congested traffic all day every day with lots of stop starts.

Always a good idea to check your 'countdown' periodically, say once a month, to see how you're doing. I do mine and from new (after the first 500 miles) next service + miles driven has consistently been around 18,700 miles; which I think is fine for the driving I do.

My suggestion; pop into your dealer and get them to check if you are set for variable or fixed. If you are on fixed and it can verified that the correct oil was used then get them to reset the countdown and/or just ignore the countdown until you are on c. 35,000 miles and then have a 'variable' service done and the regime set to 'variable'.

I'm also looking at going to Rochdale Horners who haven't had a good report on this forum.

Anyone got any suggestions please? :help:

I think Horners Rochdale took over as a Skoda authorised service centre when they shut down the Bury dealership earlier this year.

In view of the Horners reviews, and depending on which is most convenient, I would suggest either Parkside in Bolton (Skoda Authorised Repair / Service Centre), Simpsons Colne (Full Dealer) or Awesome GTI in Irlam (site sponsor and independent) for any work.

Sorry to highjack but...

Picking up my new car Fri/Sat.. I understand the dealer will discuss service regime at handover but obviously the engine oil will already be present - so is this usually long life (so one can go with 18k/variable service) or standard (12k/fixed)? What if I want variable - will the dealer then drain and fill with long life? Ta in advance....

Sorry to highjack but...

Picking up my new car Fri/Sat.. I understand the dealer will discuss service regime at handover but obviously the engine oil will already be present - so is this usually long life (so one can go with 18k/variable service) or standard (12k/fixed)? What if I want variable - will the dealer then drain and fill with long life? Ta in advance....

Filled with 'LongLife' so you are OK to go straight to 'variable'.

IIRC your car will come from the factory set already to 'variable' so for you, just leave it alone.

All cars that leave the factory have longlife oil but the recent offer from Skoda means that the free servicing for 30,000 miles means that you are effectively put onto a fixed servicing regime of every 10,000 miles where standard oil will be used. However, if you wish I have been informed that you can forego these three 'free' fixed service interval services for one 'variable' one ie. longlife oil being used.

Hope this makes sense and helps in some way!.

All cars that leave the factory have longlife oil but the recent offer from Skoda means that the free servicing for 30,000 miles means that you are effectively put onto a fixed servicing regime of every 10,000 miles where standard oil will be used. However, if you wish I have been informed that you can forego these three 'free' fixed service interval services for one 'variable' one ie. longlife oil being used.

They didn't do that with me. I was told it would be on 10k fixed but it was delivered with variable. After a separate run in with the service dept I thought I'd leave it and avoid them.

They didn't do that with me. I was told it would be on 10k fixed but it was delivered with variable. After a separate run in with the service dept I thought I'd leave it and avoid them.

Well that's what I've decided to do and agreed with my dealership, although I've only done this due to the high mileage I'm doing and don't want to be in and out of the garage all the time!. For most it would'nt make sense to do this as three free services as opposed to one is a bit of a no brainer really! :rolleyes:

Doesn't make sense that.

Surely 3 x fixed services cost more than one x variable (doing 30,0000 mile you'd only get one variable in with the next due at 36,000 miles).

Doesn't make sense that.

Surely 3 x fixed services cost more than one x variable (doing 30,0000 mile you'd only get one variable in with the next due at 36,000 miles).

It would'nt make sense to most, just suits me!.

Cheers bahnstormer, I'll take your advice. :thumbup: Read the octy6 thread too.

As for Horners Rochdale, I'll see how they match up to my expectations. The Bury dealership did close, and Rochdale is much closer to me, though I'll keep the other suggestions in mind for future. Thanks andy2407.

:)

Red

if you've got a VRS Tdi or Scout tdi there is only one oil choice for fixed or variable - 507 00 spec so no cost saving going on fixed.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/content/extras/faq/oil.pdf

Interesting. Looks like the requirements have changed.

In the service schedule manual provided with my TDi VRS (October 2007) it states "you will find in the owner's manual information regarding the specification of the engine oil for vehicles with the fixed service interval..." This is stated under the section describing the service requirements for fixed service intervals.

In the owners manual it states that for diesel engines fitted with a PDF, oil complying with ACEA B3 is suitable for fixed service intervals. This can be obtained for approx £20/5litre. Agreed that VW 507.00 is required for variable servicing.

My local dealer has already agreed to use oil provided by me, providing it meets the current Skoda spec and deduct the cost of their normal oil from the service bill. I don't like the idea of leaving oil in an engine for more than 10,000 miles and I have a preference ( which cannot be supported with logical argument ! ) for a particular brand so this is the route I intend to take.