Service countdown - after a service

Our 06 2.0 TDi has just had its 1st service at around 18.5k miles. Not only did the dealer not bother hoovering or washing the car but when I got it to drive it home I noticed they hadn't reset the service countdown (despite the jobsheet claiming that it had been done)- it was still showing 100 miles til a service was due.

I went back in to tell them and they weren't sure if they could reset it without hooking it up to the computer but someone came out and said that he had reset it. Next time I started the car I had another look and it is showing 9400 miles til the next service - surely this is still wrong since its on the long life service regime? Just wanted to confirm that it should be showing something in the region of 20k miles before I lay into the garage!

Sounds like the service indicator has been set to a fixed 10,000 mile schedule rather than variable! Before you get them to reset it AGAIN make sure they used longlife oil during your service first.

Some garages ought to be named and shamed for service like this, I find it shocking that dealers are allowed to continue to get away with it.

It can only be rest on long life through the computer, doing it on the dash buttons set it to fixed.

If it is changed from Variable to Fixed is it possible/ok to put from fixed back to Variable ?

I heard someone else mention this happened to them at the weekend.

Shocking lack of service!

Yes the car can be put back onto variable service at any time (but only when hooked up to the computer)

Not only did the dealer not bother hoovering or washing the car

I stand to be corrected but this is not part of a service, but a valet!

The problem is when a good dealer 'throws in' a wash & vac FOC* for good customer service, it is then expected from all dealers.

* IMO, there is no such thing as FOC, it will be built into the service charge.

As already mentioned, your car has been put onto fixed servicing. The only way to reset the service indicator is by hooking up the diagnostic computer.

Regarding cleaning, mine is never cleaned or hoovered by the dealer and I am glad they dont. You never know what/how its been done, and I dont want swirl marks all over the paint.

Point taken about washing but I'd always expect them to give it a quick hoover if they have the car all day. Also, oil spilt on the engine cover and not wiped off is inexcusable.

The paperwork claims longlife oil was added, which is what we asked for. They tell me they now use 5W-30 rather than the 0W-30 in the handbook information - claim this is the recommendation from Skoda (have to say I've never seen Shell Helix in the viscosity 0W-30). Can anyone confirm this?

• 3 weeks later...

I took the car back to the garage and they have now reset the service indicator. Now when I press and hold the button to see when the next service is due it says'---' and the spanner symbol. Is this right for a car on the longlife service schedule?

I took the car back to the garage and they have now reset the service indicator. Now when I press and hold the button to see when the next service is due it says'---' and the spanner symbol. Is this right for a car on the longlife service schedule?

Your car needs a few miles (500 perhaps) to learn your driving style and journey pattern etc. etc. before it will give a prediction of when the next service is due. It then continually monitors your driving and updates as required.

Perhaps your dealer should have told you this?

Thanks bahnstormer vrs. The dealer is absolutely clueless - needless to say I won't be using them again.

I had to show them how to bring up on the display when the next service is due. They told me my car must've been set up for the fixed/annual servicing which is why when they reset the service counter it was showing 9400 miles 'til the next service. I said this was unlikely as the vehicle build sticker indicates it left the factory set to the longlife service regime (OQ1 or whatever the code is) and the fact that it got to 18.5k miles before indicating that it was ready for the 1st service. They said the original owner may have had the car changed from longlife/variable servicing to fixed/annual servicing. It is possible I suppose but there is no record in the service book if this is what happened plus it seems unlikely that somone who only kept the car for 7-8 months and put 13.5k miles on it during this time would bother (for example if they were concerned about not changing the oil more frequently). They also told me there are 3 different servicing regimes?!

I'll look at the service indicator again when its done a few more miles over the festive period. Thanks again.

Thanks bahnstormer vrs. The dealer is absolutely clueless - needless to say I won't be using them again.

I had to show them how to bring up on the display when the next service is due. They told me my car must've been set up for the fixed/annual servicing which is why when they reset the service counter it was showing 9400 miles 'til the next service. I said this was unlikely as the vehicle build sticker indicates it left the factory set to the longlife service regime (OQ1 or whatever the code is) and the fact that it got to 18.5k miles before indicating that it was ready for the 1st service. They said the original owner may have had the car changed from longlife/variable servicing to fixed/annual servicing. It is possible I suppose but there is no record in the service book if this is what happened plus it seems unlikely that somone who only kept the car for 7-8 months and put 13.5k miles on it during this time would bother (for example if they were concerned about not changing the oil more frequently). They also told me there are 3 different servicing regimes?!

I'll look at the service indicator again when its done a few more miles over the festive period. Thanks again.

Go on name and shame :devil::devil:

There are 3 regimes but only 2 are for the UK, and they all leave the factory set to variable. The service book should give you the ins and outs of the service types.

They told me my car must've been set up for the fixed/annual servicing which is why when they reset the service counter it was showing 9400 miles 'til the next service.

Thats because they set it to that the first time you queried it, when they did it on the dash buttons in an obviously futile attempt to save themselves time.