FAO VAGWeb - Why do you steal my published information & pass it off as your own??

VRStu

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just a quick note (for your future information), I do believe there is some grounding in copyright law covering the simple "rewriting" of copyrighted works.

for example, if you rewrote the Harry Potter books, or Lord of the Rings then you'd still get sued.

HTH :)

All said and done, and playing devils advocate here, but Stu has asked the reasoning behind certain tech decisions and Mr Vagweb has not answered, essentially just repeating his previous posts.

It would impact on my decision if I was looking for someone to fit cruise control if they did not know these answers :)

just a quick note (for your future information), I do believe there is some grounding in copyright law covering the simple "rewriting" of copyrighted works.

for example, if you rewrote the Harry Potter books, or Lord of the Rings then you'd still get sued.

HTH :)

But what if you write a guide on performing a task based on your own experiences, which you gained from following another guide yourself?

I'm surprised that a mod is using Brisky as a medium to publicly air their grievances with another member on the site. Not very diplomatic or "professional" and surely PM's or e-mail would be a better medium rather than dragging VAGWeb's name through the dirt? :thumbdwn:

Chris

But what if you write a guide on performing a task based on your own experiences, which you gained from following another guide yourself?

You'll probably steer clear from the courts. But as Tom_vRS said earlier, legality has nothing to do with common courtesy (or moral obligations). Could there be any harm in informing about the original guide and give a thanks to the guy who made it? Does it reduce the value of your own work? Not to me it doesn't.

Giving credits to those who deserve it

1) costs nothing

2) makes the people concerned happy

3) gives you the reputation of being a nice and generous person

4) makes it more likely that you'll get credit for your work.

And since I cannot see any possible drawbacks I think it's an easy choice.

So in the future I'll try to remember to hit the "Thanks" button more often...:)

and then of course I must add that ScoobyChris' argument definitely is worth giving a thought. There are probably disputes between two Briskodians that are settled better elsewhere than in a forum discussion.

I'm surprised that a mod is using Brisky as a medium to publicly air their grievances with another member on the site. Not very diplomatic or "professional" and surely PM's or e-mail would be a better medium rather than dragging VAGWeb's name through the dirt?

Chris

I kind of agree with you Chris and I did think long and hard about it before I made the original post. The reason I chose to make it public was because a lot of the work and effort that goes into researching this information comes from other members of Briskoda and I felt that everyone should be made aware of the situation.

I agree this has probably run it's course so I will close the thread.