New alloys and tyres

Dutch4x4

I'll put this one in my Styling, as the Performance is yet to come... :D

Anyway, I finally put some decent tyres on the 4x4 instead of the factory-supplied touring tyres (Michelin Pilot HX) so let's see what change in behaviour that will result in. That is, Mrs D4x4 will find out the first proof of that, as I'm still on crutches!

The wheels are Dotz's Le Mans alloys, the tyres are Bridgestone Potenzas of the S-03 PP 225/45 R17 kind - still trying to keep it understated and a bit stealthy. The 205/55 R16 alloys will get winter tyres in November.

Here are a few (awful) pictures shot from the house - I don't trust myself holding a camera while leaning on crutches standing in the middle of the road! :( :rofl:

http://www.diepraam.nl/skoda/lemans-s03-1.jpg

http://www.diepraam.nl/skoda/lemans-s03-2.jpg

http://www.diepraam.nl/skoda/lemans-s03-3.jpg

Next stop - the new Bilstein sports shocks.

Very nice :)

Its always gutting when you do something nice to your car and cant drive it...

i once fitted twin webber carbs to my old cavalier mk2 and then fractured my ankle before i could drive it. :mad:

Thanks for the encouragement, Adrian... :D

These will actually be easier to clean that the previous ones, so my son's happy too!

The rear does look a bit higher, I agree, but that's just the way it's parked - that parking space isn't entirely flat, you know. Trouble is, I had it lowered out of false economy by only replacing the springs. But using the existing 4x4 shocks, we couldn't go too low. However, I will replace those with Bilstein B8 dampers shortly, so that will at least open up some scope for furthing lowering in the future.

Then again, I'm a 4x4 owner, so sod the looks of it. :rofl:

If the handling will already be top notch with the Bilsteins, why change the springs (again)? At least I won't have a problem with those wretched Amsterdam speed bumps...

• 2 weeks later...
I'll put this one in my Styling' date=' as the Performance is yet to come... :D

[/quote']

Up on my feet again, so finally got a chance to taste the Potenzas' potential today...

My first impressions:

- steadier in a straight line

- hugely grippier in corners

- no noticeable decline in ride and comfort

- no tramlining (yet)

And to quote our most famous footballer, "since every advantage has a disadvantage":

- slightly heavier steering at low speeds

- more throttle feed needed through corners to overcome the heavier steering, hit the tyres' grip spot and wake the car up out of understeer (which in itself is not a disadvantage, but the added fuel consumption is - and isn't, as I don't pay for the stuff :D )