1.9 TDI DSG Normal Running Temp

Hi Guys,

My 1st winter with my Octy2. Im supprised how long it takes to get then engine to its normal working temp.

This morning it was a cold morning -5C. The car took 15 minutes/5 miles to heat up. This of course means it takes a long time to defrost the car!

Is this normal?

Thanks

yes, pretty standard warm up time. It was -10c here this morning and It took me 14mls to reach normal temp. And that was useing manual mode to keep in a lower gear, make the engine work harder and warm up faster!!

I had a 5sp manual courtesy Octavia for a wee while in November and it defiantly heated up quicker - one less gear must make all the difference

• 1 month later...

:confused: Temp -3C at 05.00 this morning. It took 15 miles (30 minutes) of town driving to get the engine to working tempature. I hate the tought of it, but has anyone put siver foil over thier grill?

Make me wonder how the Octy deals with the cold in Czechoeslavakia :eek:

I guess it's time for a lump of wood to restrict airflow over the engine time :-)

Won't help, the coolant only runs through the heater core until the engine heats to ~85C and the thermostat opens and lets it go to the radiator.

Warming the engine standing still is also hopeless at how efficient this engine is, plus not recommended for a bunch of other reasons.

Just do what I do, buy a bottle of defrosting fluid and use it on the windows instead of the traditional scraper. We had -10C over here all winter long.

If you need the engine warmed up quicker just turn the heating off a bit and let it simmer. Hope you've got heated seats, then.

Southern Romania. It's been an unusually cold winter this year, tho.

I don't have heated seats either, just bought a heated seat cover that I use from time to time on a really cold morning. It's been a couple of euro's only, and quite happy with it.

As for the defroster, this is what I bought: NIGRIN Scheibenentfroster, 500 ml, Pumpzerstäuber

Did wonders clearing the frost in minutes even when I was at a mountain resort, cold -25C in the morning. Haven't touched the scraper yet.

Hi all,

My 1.9TDi used to take about 15 miles (or 25 mins) to reach 90 degrees. I pointed this out to my dealer at the last service who mentioned that lots of owners complain of this. Since the service the car warms up in about half the time, but I don't know what, or if, they did anything.

Darren