Changing Octavia II antenna to a shark fin antenna

Hi,

I saw a couple of threads on shark fin antennas. Was considering the VAG shark fin for my Octy Combi, but was pointed towards another and IMHO much cooler looking one.

Has anyone experience of VG Shark Fin Antenna - Installation or can comment on how easy it would be to plug the cable in place in the Octy as show in the installation guide (link above).

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I saw a couple of threads on shark fin antennas. Was considering the VAG shark fin for my Octy Combi, but was pointed towards another and IMHO much cooler looking one.

Has anyone experience of VG Shark Fin Antenna - Installation or can comment on how easy it would be to plug the cable in place in the Octy as show in the installation guide (link above).

Thanks in advance.

Please don't do it. It would be a moment of madness. Apart from being naff, they simply don't work as well as a proper one.

I dont see how replacing the oem aerial, with a much shorter one and sticking a cover over it is going to be any use. Reception will be awfull, its bad enough with the standard antenna, it might look ok for a while until the glue around the base comes lose or the thing flies off as your driving along.

If you are going to do the shark fin swap, then get the proper aerial thats designed for the job and not some poor imitation.

Well, I am currenly making plans for the mods I want to make to my Octy when it arrives. Had to let go of my company Octy (white HB) when changed jobs. Currently driving around in a Ocean Blue Roomster (on loan from the car dealership), my very own metallic black 2.0 TDI DSG combi should be delivered on the Jan 21st. so still have some time.

Currently the planned mods include removing the "Octavia" and "TDI" badges from the back and painting the grille surround metallic black to matchs the body. Try to keep to mods to a minimum and REALLY trying to avoid boy racer / MAXPower look. Stylish and discrete as it is more of my style :cool:. As I chose the Octy on past experiences and the looks, did not like the new 3-series, Passats and A4's look, I think Octy is more discrete and stylish. (Note: Would have gone for the TT or Alfa GT but was forced to get a car with a proper boot, so estate was then).

Body kits, spoilers, chrome and shiny alloys really do not mix well with business suits etc.:D

On longer drives I listen to mp3s on my Zune II (thank you Skoda for fitting AUX in as standard in the Octy) and while commuting or shorter drives listen to FM-radio. So as much as I like the look of the shark fin antenna I am not willing to compromise too much reception on the base of looks. In general FM-reception in Finland is good/excellent with the standard antenna, so there is a lot to lose if I choose a wrong replacement. Will need to have a look of some alternatives on antennas that could be hidden in the back screen for example.

Just to clarify:

1. FM reception is slightly worse than with the OEM aerial but is still pretty good, and I am led to believe that with a proper aerial adapter the reception could be even better

2. The VW sharkfin is not glued or taped to the roof but is bolted on using the existing hole and fittings

3. The roofling does not have to be dropped as such, but just lowered at the back enough to squeeze in a spanner or socket to do up the bolt and connect the wires

I know this because I have done this modification myself after yobs began breaking off whip aerials in my street

VW sharkfin would obviously be a better option, but I don't like the look of it, trying to find something that is less "pointy".

Dropping the rooflining only partly is the way to go, but I still have some questions about the wiring. Do I need to get my soldering iron out and change some connectors or is it just plug out - plug in job. I remember reading something that with the VW sharkfin there is a need to change the connector and this is where things can get wrong. Make a shoddy job and the reception will be sh...:mad:

I think a call to a friend of a friend who works with antennaes is in order to get so idea how the sharkfin performs in relation to the traditional antenna.:thumbup:

I know this because I have done this modification myself after yobs began breaking off whip aerials in my street

Do you remember the part number for your sharkfin, what version was it?

Fm/gps, fm/gps/gsm or fm only?

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Nice find there mate! No mucking about with headliners, bolts, etc - wonder what VW info/paint code that matches Skoda's black magic you inputted on their order form?

Cheers

Bas

Nice find there mate! No mucking about with headliners, bolts, etc - wonder what VW info/paint code that matches Skoda's black magic you inputted on their order form?

Cheers

Bas

Have not ordered mine yet as my car is due to be delivered in just 3 weeks time. Will have to take a look at the wiring, how easy it is to plug in that shark fin cable.

Also will have to have a talk with a friend of a friend who works in antennaes, about the reception issues...

If I will order one, most likely to go with the VW Passat 2T2T Deep Black Pearl, but also ready to paint it again if the paint is too much of a mismatch.

Also when the Octu finally arrives will have to have a look at possibilities on placing a hidden antenna to boos the reception if the shark fin is just bad. Something on the lines of Hidden Auto FM Antenna or Camaro Antenna, Hidden, AM/FM, Custom Autosound, 1967-2002

But current just doing the background search and waiting anciously for my Octavia Combi to arrive.:thumbup:

Malfean and McSkoda - you shouldn't have pointed out the shark fin - in a moment of weakness I went and actually ordered one. :rolleyes:

According to a paint site found on searching Brisk- skoda 9901 and VW LC9Z are the same identical paint.

So, 1 x VG Shark Fin Antenna for 2003 Volkswagen Gti 3-Door Hatch painted in LC9Z > Black Magic Metallic is now on its way....

This is beginning to get out of hand :rofl:

Bas (seriously thinking of seeking professional help now.....)

Thank you Basil for the color code! I am supposed to meet with the antenna guy around new years, so might be ordering mine within a week or so.

Need to have a discussion with the antenna guy also with the wiring...

Malfean and McSkoda - you shouldn't have pointed out the shark fin - in a moment of weakness I went and actually ordered one. :rolleyes:

According to a paint site found on searching Brisk- skoda 9901 and VW LC9Z are the same identical paint.

So, 1 x VG Shark Fin Antenna for 2003 Volkswagen Gti 3-Door Hatch painted in LC9Z > Black Magic Metallic is now on its way....

This is beginning to get out of hand :rofl:

Bas (seriously thinking of seeking professional help now.....)

Are you sure the color code is enough? What I understood from the site is that you actually need to have the exact shark fin for your car as the slope of the roof is different, and the fins are made to match the slope exactly. It's a shame that there's no Skoda's available on the compatible car list.... But they are stating that if you contact them and inform which car you would like to have the fin to, they'll make one, even if it's a custom one.

Oh, and there was someone who was doubting if the 3M adhesive would actually hold. If they're using the industrial grade 3M 2-compound adhesive, I can promise that the roof of the car comes off first than the antenna. We've used that in our company to attach few steel cabinet components together and they're pretty much impossible to detach afterwards :)

Happy new Year everyone!

I had a talk with the antenna guy, he suggested that I ask for some tech specs from the company, so I emailed them today. Also mentioned that if possible they should add Skoda on their list of "supported" brands as it could generate more international sales.

Ok,ok, might be a bit of a exaderation but hey, if it works then why not :rolleyes:

The secure antenna just needs to be unscrewed and then given a good hard yank to come out. Swapped mine for a Honda S2000 one......

The kit comes with two screws to fit almost any VAG base, so not too worried there.....

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Sorry but that thing looks truely awful, no way on god's green earth would i subject my car to that sort of vandalism......yuk......:Yikes:

Sorry but it is, and performance wise well you might as well have a rear screen AM/FM.........

A proper whip such as the OEM cannot be matched for performance..........:thumbup:

Sorry but that thing looks truely awful, no way on god's green earth would i subject my car to that sort of vandalism......yuk......:Yikes:

Sorry but it is, and performance wise well you might as well have a rear screen AM/FM.........

A proper whip such as the OEM cannot be matched for performance..........:thumbup:

That's what I wanted to say at the start of this thead, but last time I did that

I got told off :rolleyes: