Delivery date for new car

When I ordered my new car I was given a delivery date of 17th March at the dealers. Got a phone call from them this morning saying that the build date had been brought forward to week 4 meaning delivery around week 7 (mid Feb). Am I better waiting until March to collect the car or just pick it up in February. The car will have my own plate on it so the registration is not too important, but will there be an impact on resale value after the three year period?

The road tax on my present car expires end of Feb and believe it would need taxed to allow the plate transfer to take place if I were to collect in March.

Any Thoughts

I'd just get it in Feb if you're putting your own plate on it anyway. It shouldn't make any difference to residuals in three years time I wouldn't have thought.

the cap guides will list your car as being older therefore not as valued as a 08 plate. if you can do it without much hassle ( and you can always claim back the tax) i would wait for march. if you bought a new car just before the reg change in feb you want want a good discount not to wait until march.

maybe time to see about a discount or some added extras?

I'm getting, what I think, is a pretty good deal anyway. £17690 for a TFSI vRS with xenons, metallic, cruise, maxidot, rear parking sensors and heated seats plus the free upgrade.

The salesman suggested the value would be about £300 different after three years.

When I ordered my new car I was given a delivery date of 17th March at the dealers. Got a phone call from them this morning saying that the build date had been brought forward to week 4 meaning delivery around week 7 (mid Feb). Am I better waiting until March to collect the car or just pick it up in February. The car will have my own plate on it so the registration is not too important, but will there be an impact on resale value after the three year period?

The road tax on my present car expires end of Feb and believe it would need taxed to allow the plate transfer to take place if I were to collect in March.

Any Thoughts

hi, can i ask when you ordered your car, i ordered mine on the 22nd of november & dealer said the 2nd to 3rd week of jan (can't wait, like a kid in a sweet shop). but after reading few posts on here saying 12 weeks lead time. i am finding that 2nd to 3rd week in jan hard to belive.

I'm getting, what I think, is a pretty good deal anyway. £17690 for a TFSI vRS with xenons, metallic, cruise, maxidot, rear parking sensors and heated seats plus the free upgrade.

The salesman suggested the value would be about £300 different after three years.

I did a quick check on parkers for the difference it would make on a Golf GTi and it was about £500 quid.

As for your good deal, I paid 17k a year and a half ago for a similar spec minus xenons and rear parking sensors so if they are worth £690 then it would seem a reasonable deal. Consider the Autoexpress target price of a bog standard TFSI VRs though is around £15.5 I think now.

hi, can i ask when you ordered your car, i ordered mine on the 22nd of november & dealer said the 2nd to 3rd week of jan (can't wait, like a kid in a sweet shop). but after reading few posts on here saying 12 weeks lead time. i am finding that 2nd to 3rd week in jan hard to belive.

I ordered mine mid-December, arriving end of Jan. The dealer brought the order forward a couple of weeks by amending the spec of a car he'd ordered a couple of weeks earlier to what I wanted.

They quote 12 week lead times as an outside estimate. They would rather say 12 weeks and it be 4, than say 4 weeks and it be 12. If they have said week 3 to you, then I'd expect delivery then :thumbup:

I ordered on the 18th December, the dealer amended an existing order they had in the system to the spec I wanted.

I did a quick check on parkers for the difference it would make on a Golf GTi and it was about £500 quid.

As for your good deal, I paid 17k a year and a half ago for a similar spec minus xenons and rear parking sensors so if they are worth £690 then it would seem a reasonable deal. Consider the Autoexpress target price of a bog standard TFSI VRs though is around £15.5 I think now.

I basically went armed with the Broadspeed and Drive The Deal prices, the dealer got within £31 of Broadspeed, and was good to do business with. Even Mrs P, who detests car salesmen with a vengeance was quite relaxed.

Wait till March. It's only 2 weeks after all and it will make a noticeable difference come trade-in time.

Not necessarily! A 08/57 plate car will have a higher mileage allowance than a 08/08 come trade in and mileage is a big killer for nearly new cars so if the mileage used will be above the norm this can out way any addition value the later plate could gain. Plate's mean less these days to values, its down to the purchaser's snobbery for having the latest plate car and that doesn't matter here as it's going on a personal plate. Registering in December rather than January is the bigger hitter of the pocket. Confused? Try looking at a Glasses Guide book these days, no wonder most main dealers value online now to avoid making mistakes.

In reply to justdoit, I realise that it MAY make no difference. However why take the chance for the sake of two weeks? If I was going in to a dealership in 3 years time I would expect to pay less for a car that has the older registration, all other things being equal.

You're right about the online valuations being useful.