Speed* gets driver a ban on M32

cheezemonkhai

There was a woman in a Mondeo on the A19 today doing about 30mph, cars were coming up behind her and having to brake or dive out to the outside lane.

There's been so many times i've wished I was a traffic officer!

Agree about these Highway nobbers, why can't we invest money in a police officer in a 15k vRS instead of two fairies in a 30k Land cruiser, then when they aren't sweeping glass up they can be on the look out for inconsiderate and dangerous driving?

Agree about these Highway nobbers, why can't we invest money in a police officer in a 15k vRS instead of two fairies in a 30k Land cruiser, then when they aren't sweeping glass up they can be on the look out for inconsiderate and dangerous driving?

Costs.

2 officers in their VRS will actually cost more. IIRC the cost comparisons were something like 3x what it costs to deploy and run 2 HA officers in their land cruiser.

Costs.

2 officers in their VRS will actually cost more. IIRC the cost comparisons were something like 3x what it costs to deploy and run 2 HA officers in their land cruiser.

A lot of police motorway work is single crew from what I have seen, i'm guessing that training costs are a lot higher for the police compared to Highways Agency though.

There was a woman in a Mondeo on the A19 today doing about 30mph, cars were coming up behind her and having to brake or dive out to the outside lane.

So who's at fault - the person going slow, or the people not looking where they're going? ;)

Chris

So who's at fault - the person going slow, or the people not looking where they're going? ;)

Chris

Everyone was looking where they were going, that's why she wasn't shunted from behind :D What she did do was reduce the average speed from a free flowing 70-80mph down to 50-60mph due to people slowing to let drivers stuck behind her out and the inconsiderate who just darted out into the outside lane causing heavier than normal braking.

Everyone was looking where they were going, that's why she wasn't shunted from behind :D What she did do was reduce the average speed from a free flowing 70-80mph down to 50-60mph due to people slowing to let drivers stuck behind her out and the inconsiderate who just darted out into the outside lane causing heavier than normal braking.

But surely a lorry, tractor, army convoy, debris in the carriageway, etc would have also caused this effect. The problem is that people don't look far enough ahead to plan to deal with hazards and end up causing a concetina effect when they are right on top of the hazard and have to react..... all imho.

Chris

I think motorways should be tested on as there's so many people that don't know what they're doing!

And i know a maureen that shouldn't have been given a license... its my gran!!!! lol

It sort of makes you wonder what goes through peoples minds sometimes... don't they know there's a minimum speed limit??!!

*Forgot to hit quote Chris*

I totally agree with your comments but lorries, tractors, mobile cranes etc are a lot bigger than a Mondeo so they come to your attention a lot more naturally. Drivers would see them earlier and act upon it (getting into the outside lane), the thing is with a slow car you would be behind it then realise that you are catching it up a lot faster than you would have thought you should be.

And it is because people don't look far enough ahead as you say, I of course noticed the obstruction immediately :)

Some people want to drive fast but they dont have the reactions or do not look far enough ahead.

Some people are just plain inconsiderate.

My Dad was driving a minibus and we came to a 2 lane section of M40 I think it was and a foreign truck mistakenly went into the outer lane, he wanted to come back in when it went back to 3 lanes but there was a car in the middle lane who wouldn't out accelerate the lorry or move in to allow the truck out of the outer lane.

That woman prob never went on a motorway in her life and prob got scared. I sometimes get scared too as there are soo many idiots on there who either dont move lane when they can see your indicator etc...

But surely a lorry, tractor, army convoy, debris in the carriageway, etc would have also caused this effect. The problem is that people don't look far enough ahead to plan to deal with hazards and end up causing a concetina effect when they are right on top of the hazard and have to react..... all imho.

Chris

Are you arguing that constricting a just subcritical density free particle flow doesn't cause the speed of that flow to reduce? There's a considerable body of experimental and Computer Fluid Dynamics modelling evidence to the contrary.

I agree with your point about observation to some extent, but when the tailback from the constriction is several miles long then IMO observation ceases to be a factor unless speed at the tail of the rolling jam drops below the typical speed of the jam itself.

I was on a Traffic Officer on road patrol today and we were following a vehicle being towed. They were travelling at 20mph for much of the time.

The HATOs on board had to pull them over to tell them to speed up, but alas no powers to award points and prices :(

Whats HATO's??? is this talking about the people who drive around in 4x4 with highway patrol on the back?

If so why you say alas no powers to award points, they should never have powers any law enforcement should be delt with by the law (a propper police officer)

Whats HATO's??? is this talking about the people who drive around in 4x4 with highway patrol on the back?

If so why you say alas no powers to award points, they should never have powers any law enforcement should be delt with by the law (a propper police officer)

Highways Agency Traffic Officers - the power-tripping dayglo Wombles who close a motorway for 6 hours to pick up every visible fragment of a broken light cluster!

Highways Agency Traffic Officers - the power-tripping dayglo Wombles who close a motorway for 6 hours to pick up every visible fragment of a broken light cluster!

According to Mr Clarkson if you believe everything he says.

I'm sure they provide a valuable service, they shouldn't be replacing police officers though, rather releasing police from the mundane duties to fight crime.

I'd rather they stopped to assist my wife than a rapist stopping and 'helping' her, and I wouldn't particulary fancy picking up a puncture from debris left in the road when I'm travelling at 90mph.

Dont understand why everyone jumps on the Clarkson bandwagon? never heard any complaints about them before he mouthed off, it's not like they are traffic wardens or anything, they cant fine anyone!

According to Mr Clarkson if you believe everything he says.

I'm sure they provide a valuable service, they shouldn't be replacing police officers though, rather releasing police from the mundane duties to fight crime.

I'd rather they stopped to assist my wife than a rapist stopping and 'helping' her, and I wouldn't particulary fancy picking up a puncture from debris left in the road when I'm travelling at 90mph.

Dont understand why everyone jumps on the Clarkson bandwagon? never heard any complaints about them before he mouthed off, it's not like they are traffic wardens or anything, they cant fine anyone!

Maybe, just maybe, he's articulated other peoples' (mine for one) experience of them in a humourous rather than foul mouthed and profane manner.

Maybe, just maybe, he's articulated other peoples' (mine for one) experience of them in a humourous rather than foul mouthed and profane manner.

Cant say I'd noticed anyone commenting in a 'foul mouthed' or 'profane' manner?

The fact is, that rather than have 2 guys sitting in a council depot somewhere drinking tea, then coming out when they are called upon in there transit pick up to close the road and sweep up glass, you've got 2 people already on the scene clearing things up.

If you discount the whole 'replacing police officers' argument, I dont see how there can be any argument against having regular highway safety patrols to make sure the roads are clear? surely thats what we expect our road tax to be paying for? safe roads?

Is it the polices job to remove debris from the motorway, or should they be left to target dangerous drivers/criminals whilst the HATO's maintain the roads?

I do a lot of motorway driving, and I've never had any cause for complaint other than occasionaly mistaking them for police and dropping my speed by 20 mph, then realising they aren't police and buggering of again, but then thats hardly there fault is it!