Vagtacho

Td-eye

Anyone here used Vagtacho ?

I'm awaiting delivery of a cable and software (not from the site or at the price in the link above I might add ) primarily so that I can enable the "miles till empty" function on my Mk4 Golf's computer & also to illuminate the guage needles to light up anytime the ignition is on regardless of whether the lights are on or not, mainly just because I know it can be done & I think it looks good. :P

Now, "the miles till empty" function is already enabled as standard on SWMBO's Fabia but has anyone ever managed to get the guage needles to light up without the lights being on on using Vagtacho on a Fabia ?

I know it's possible on the Golf but if it can be done on the Fabia as well that would be a bonus ! :D

Which versiona re you gettting buddy.

I have used version 1.7 to read the pin number off my old polo, but it wouldnt work on the fabia :(

Maybe the newer v2.2 might work, i know it should work on the golf but it woudnt work on my 2004 fabia rs

john

I believe it is an older 1.6 version or it might be 1.7, I'm unsure but it's definitely an older version (cheapy off fleabay) to work with the post 2002 Mk4 Golf coded dash I think that's immobiliser 3 ?

Anyway, pity it doesn't seem to work on the Furby . :(

We recently got version 2.2 and so far it has saved us alot of hassle and money by pulling immo codes off Fabia dash panels year 2000 and 2002 successful, 2005 it won't touch. I need to get a copy of VAG K+CAN Commander, the VT cable came with CAN commander as well.

• 1 month later...

I did actually manage to log into SWMBO's Fabia with version 1.6 of Vagtacho although it's an older model (2002) with a V09 VDO dash.

I got the pin code, I'd be very interested to know is this the same as the SKC it's in the format of one numeral and three letters ? If so, that's handy as I was never given the SKC when we bought the car.

I was able to read the eeprom ok and have taken a file dump of it, anyone know of any useful code changes, enable lit needles etc ?

Anyway, the cable served it's intended purpose on my Golf which now has lit needles and the "miles to empty" function enabled & anything else I manage to achieve on the Fabia will be a bonus.:D

Humm, I've just bought one of these cheapies from ebay for the purpose of getting the immobiliser PINs for a 2000MY Passat + 2001MY Ibiza + 2003MY Polo. Thanks for the manual, I'll have to read it now and see what is what. (sort of an impulse buy really as I have already bought a 3rd key for both the VWs - so thought I'd make them useful before they are needed).

what's the difference between VAG COM and VAG Tacho??:confused:

I want something to read fault codes and enable a few things on the golf

If I'm correct, VAG-COM is a diagnostic and adapation tool designed by Uwe Ross in USA. This tool was "manufactured" by reverse engineering - ie by causing faults first and reading controller responses. One of its unique features when it was launched, was that Rosstech assigned labels to all the codes. The original VAG dealer tool just coughed out codes and they had to be read seperately from a list to discover what them meant. One task that VAG-COM can not carry out, I think, is to read the immobiliser PIN codes - you need them to add keys etc, so that is where Vagtacho comes in - but I'm not sure what other tasks it can be used for, I've bought one but not put it to use yet, but have used VAG-COM quite a lot. As far as I know, no one has come up with an exhaustive list of what can and what can't be achieved using VAG-COM but quite a few usual tasks are covered on the Rosstech website - its really like any other tool, if you don't know how to use it, originally it will be of no value to you - its all sort of self taught stuff.

I think the description above is about right & Vagcom is probably the most useful tool for reading/clearing general fault codes & enabling certain functions wheras Vagtacho is more aimed at reading or writing code related to the dashboard functions contained in the VAG Kombi-instrument / Immo box EEPROM.

This includes things such as reading immobiliser & key codes, altering dash lighting, mileage correction, mfa functions etc. It reads code from the EEPROM in the car which is downloaded as a hexidecimal file and can be modified with an apropriate editor & re-written to the cars EEPROM again as required. :rolleyes:

It also seems that different dash/immobiliser types require different software versions of Vagtacho (or Vag Commander for canbus vehicles) to access them, and certainly one version won't access all. I was lucky in that the Vagtacho V.6 I bought worked on both the different VDO type dashes on my Golf & SWMBO's Fabia.:)

Depends what you want to do really, I have both but Vagcom would seem the most useful for every day use diagnosing faults etc & is the one I use most.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...