Headlight bulbs

TFSI

I have octavia1, 1999 model 1.8L car,my headlights are not bright enough- so very difficult to see at night, which bulb makes on 12V source would give me some good brightness at night? I have heard of Flossers-any good? Secondly, I am new to bulbs, what is the exact meaning of 60/55W on headlight bulbs??

Will appreciate great help on this issue.

Thanks.

TFSI

60/55W refers to the wattage of the bulb. There are two filaments inside the bulb, main beam and dip. One is rated at 60Watts, the other at 55Watts.

You may find Powerbulbs can supply you with brighter bulbs, and http://www.briskoda.net/forums/discounts/15-discount-free-shipping-sidelights-powerbulbs/91406/ may be useful.

There are many threads on here where different bulbs have been recommended.

I have used Halfords Super Brilliance as my dipped bulbs and Osram Night Breakers for main beams on my Superb where I have separate bulbs for each. I found these to be a massive improvement on the originals. Phillips X-Treme power come highly recommended too.

Autoexpress did some tests on bulbs. Google this and you may find the test results.

IIRC, the Octavia uses H4 bulbs which are dual filament. If you want improved light output, I'd be looking at Car Bulbs from Power Bulbs - upgrade xenon car bulbs, headlight bulbs, autobulbs and autolamps from Philips, Osram and Narva. Philips X-Treme Power, Osram NightBreaker, Osram Silverstar and more. and getting some bulbs which are at least +50% brighter. I run the Philips Xtremes +80% and am very happy with them.

Chris

60W is the main beam, 55W the dip, and Chris is almost correct. 55W is the legal maximum wattage for a 12V headlight (or auxilliary light) bulb, with the sole exception of the main beam filament on a dual filament bulb, which can be 60W.

I believe 55W is the legal limit for main beam bulbs too, although some may be a bit higher.

Chris

Think that depends on year -though the year is a long time ago (from memory) ---Motorworld also do some Ring bulbs - I changed my dips and notice the difference ,and price is a lot less than Halfrauds.

Think that depends on year -though the year is a long time ago (from memory) ---Motorworld also do some Ring bulbs - I changed my dips and notice the difference ,and price is a lot less than Halfrauds.

That may well be correct, but, if so, it's irrelevant to anyone running anything later than an Estelle, and possibly anyone running anything later than a S100 series). I can't remember the exact year, but that will give you an idea at to about when it is.