the colour red

Take a look at the pics RobClubley posted last night - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/styling-car-care/just-spent-nearly-4-hours-cleaning-car/98729/#post1138125

His car has survived the worst of Yorkshire winters, and now the sunshine of New Zealand, and still looks stunning.

His car will be four years old in June.

Corrida red is "flat" meaning that it has no added materiels to the pigment (such as metal flakes, or mica i.e "pearl effect").

It is still a normal 3-layer paint system, consisting of a base/primer, colour and a clear lacquer.

If you have a chip on your car, just look at it, and you'll see the layers.

Take a look at the pics RobClubley posted last night - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/styling-car-care/just-spent-nearly-4-hours-cleaning-car/98729/#post1138125

His car has survived the worst of Yorkshire winters, and now the sunshine of New Zealand, and still looks stunning.

His car will be four years old in June.

Cheers :D

Mine's Corrida Red.

There's less ozone layer here in NZ and more UV so I'm taking care of my paintwork as well as I can. There are two other Red Octy RSs in Wellingotn. Neither as ever as clean as mine, so I assume they're not polished as often and neither are showing any signs of paint fade.

Red is always traditionally associated with fading on cars. The fading effect is due to a layer of oxidisation building up on top of the clearcoat; this is more obvious with red paint. As has been said, cutting this back with a choice polish and then protecting the paint with a wax will fix this. Any wax will get broken down by the elements, so I'd go for a harder wearing wax here, such as Collinite 476.

Not sure where the comment about spoilers and bonnets not having a clear coat is coming from. They'll be subject to the same paint processes as other panels. I would say that these areas would perhaps be exposed more, and are more obvious, so any oxidisation would be more obvious.

So, in conclusion - just keep on top with an annual or bi-annual polishing and waxing regime will keep paintwork, even red, in tip-top condition :)

Steve

Thats incorrect. The oxidisation builds up on single stage red as we commonly see it, thats why when you polish you see red on the pad (or in my case rotary) The lacquer is a clear coat which protects the paint from the traditional fading. Also, a professional polishing company has seen the same traits with Skodas so it seems to be a common theme (bonnet and spoiler - on the Octy at least - not having a clear coat over the base red).