Average MPG Data Updating Too Frequently

Last week, while reviewing the average mpg data in my MkI Octavia VRs, I was flipping between the current data (signified by a 1) and the long-term data (signified by a 2) which, as I'm sure all of you know, is achieved by depressing, briefly, the reset button on the right-hand stalk. Then, at some point, I depressed the reset button and held it for a few seconds. I understand that this zeroises the long term data.

However, since then, I've noticed that the current average mpg data is updating on the Multi-function Display far more frequently than it was before.

I thought I had read somewhere that, ordinarily, the current average mpg figure is updated every 300 metres. But it's clearly doing it more often than that now.

Has anyone else come across this who knows of a solution?

Thanks.

CC

The fact that you did a reset will mean that the average will fluctuate more regularly for a while, until it gives a true average. The longer it records for, the greater the extremes need to be to alter the figure. It's normal.

• 4 weeks later...

mine has taken on the characteristics of a stop watch.

on a 150 mile run today it was going from anything,13-14 then would go right up to 70 -80.then for no reason at all just zero's itself.

all this whilst sat at a steady motorway run.tick over has gone all to **** now too.possible MAF on its way out?

not to mention my failed coil pack today :(