Windscreen fan problems - Thread Merged

Can any kind soul out there help me? I have a 'Skoda Octavia 's' reg GLS 1.6' which has a proble that I need to fix in a hurry! Can anyone tell me if it's easy to get into the area of the car that houses the windscreen heater/cooler fan? The motor sounds as if it's still ok but I'm not getting any air! But the sound it's making, I think the fan has come adrift from the motor spindle. Hopefully it's not too much of a problem in fixing but due to the fact that I haven't a maintenance manual yet for my car (:() I was wondering if anyone can provide some details of how I can get to it. I'm assuming it's in the engine compartment and really easy to get to!!!!!

With this wet weather it's a nightmare as you can understand! Help!!!:)

Cheers anyone?

Tony

Hi again! Whilst reading members problems similar to mine I think my problem is the pollen filter area. Does anyone know how I get to this area for my Skoda Octavia GLS 1.6? It got a lot worse after I;ve just come back from the car wash! This suggests to me that some pesky leaf or tow could be the problem! Sorry if my messages seem a bit amaturish as I'm a bit rusty at this! Many thanks for any help received.:)

Many thanks Briskodian, will check tomorrow. Ahhh Cornwall! I was going down your way tomorrow to see My Ma but can't now because I can't see where the road is!!!!!! Hopefully I'll clear the problem with your help. All the best.

...Just tried to 'Search' but having a bit of trouble finding anything detailed. Any chance of pointing me in the right direction? Thanks. Good luck with your leaf scraping!

To check it properly you need to remove the wipers by taking off the plastic nut cover and then removing the center nut.You should be able to wobble the complete arm around now and it should come off eventually.Once you have both the wipers off you then need to remove the plastic panels,these are very tight and may need some hot water to stop the plastic being brittle.Apparently the secret is to pull it at 90' to the windscreen to remove the clip that is the full length of it.Once removed the filter is on the passenger side i think.Whilst you have the panel off remove any leaves from there.There are some holes that drain into the wings make sure these are unblocked aswell.I would of thought if the fan motor is running that either the fan has come off or one of the control flaps is stuck.Does it blow any air at all to any of the vents?

Hi again! Whilst reading members problems similar to mine I think my problem is the pollen filter area. Does anyone know how I get to this area for my Skoda Octavia GLS 1.6?
This thread should be useful to you. The pollen filter housing is at the top right of the second picture which is reproduced below. (The filter has been removed).

DSCF0019.JPG

Brilliant Dennis, just the ticket. Thanks for the photo. From all the other member's tips I managed to sort the problem but I'm sure this photo will be useful to others.

I spent the morning on this investigation (!). With the bonnet open I took the wippers off (with a final little wiggle) and then prised off the two car width grey plastic covers. Be very careful when doing this as they can snap very easily. The secret is to get a screw driver underneath and gentle prise them up out of their slot. Slot being at the base of the windscreen. I did find that the two drain holes that where either side of the car where blocked with leaves causing the 'trough' to be full of water! by unblocking these there was a rush of water that drained away quickly. Because of the raised water levels the pollen filter, situated on the passenger side, had become saturated causing air intake problems. Also, the water had managed to go down inside the motor housing which is situated inside the passenger side of the car. When the water got down this far there was no where else to go so it flooded the passenger foot well.

By taking out the glove box, which is held on by a few screws, I managed to access the back of the motor housing. by releasing a couple more screws (under the motor housing) the motor drops out. When out, you can see directly into the housing compartment. The compartment has a small recess under it which I could fell had water in it.

I replaced all parts after drying, including the filter (which I will replace soon).

Why did this happen? I noticed that on the grey covers (see DGW photo above), at the top of these they have a 'seal' that holds the cover against the windscreen. some areas of these had broken free due to them perishing. coupled with the recent torrential downpours and the leaves blocking the drain holes, I think that the water had come down the windscreen, through the gaps where the seal sould have been and then straight into the filter and down into the blower motor housing then onto the carpets (squelch, squelch)!! I temporarily cured the gaps in the windscreen seal with good strong waterproof tape. Now off to find some new grey covers! Any suggestions on a good website anyone? Thanks again for everyones help out there.

You mean the one that's loose to expose the pollen filter? I think they're windscreen base trims or something such. If your local Skoda dealer has a decent parts dept, they'll probably identify them from that, or come out to the car and confirm exactly what you're after.