Which lowering springs?

I'v just orderes myself a set of light weight O.Z ultraleggeras (should help offset the heavy recaro's) and was wondering what the general consensus was on the best springs. I'm not going the coilover route as all i want is a subtle ammount of lowering so as to make the 18s look more at home. Am i right in thinking that the best to go for would be the Eibach? I dont want too firm or too low to be honest but i thought i'd just check with the people in the know before i spend any more hard earned cash. Any advise or suggestion's would be much appreciated.

Darren

if your uprating springs you should uprate the shocks due to putting more stress on the standard jobbies.

I didnt think this would be an issue as long as you dont go lower than 30mm. Any lower and then i'd be constantly fully supressing the shock on potholes and twisties. I'm not changing the shocks as in my experience thats where the fillings start to fall out:D.

Darren

I've got a set of Weitec lowering springs that I bought from Awesome, which has lowered it about 20mm.

I'm having to change the shocks as the standard units aren't dampening enough & you can feel the car bounce about especially the rear.

I've changed the rear shocks to Koni adjustable & it has transformed the handling no end to what it was before with the standard shocks on & I shall replace the front units when the funds come available.

Whatever you do do not buy spax as there spring rates are all over the place. (I've got first hand experience of this) A mate put eibach on his vrs, not an estate like mine with standard shocks but he used VW bora estate springs on the rear and he said they were great. He brought them in from Germany. Like many say if you do lower it is always advisable to put on shockers as well. Koni seem to have been mentioned a lot on this site and they are relatively inexpensive, not huge amounts more than eibach springs.:)

Oh well just goes to show how different one car can be from another. As it looks like i'm going to have to do shocks and springs together, from a comfort point which is going to give me the most subtle ride in peoples opinions? I dont want super low anyway. About 30mm is all i want, i just want to make the car look more settled on the 18s.

Darren

I think you are going to be hard pushed to find any lowering springs for the MK 1 Octy VRS which lower more than 20mm anyway, apart from coilovers that is. The only true springs listed specifically for Octy MK 1 VRS is H&R springs. Now a lot of peeps are going to come back and state not true.

Please do so, as I have spent over a year trying to source true lowering springs.

I actually have Koni FSD'd on my MK1 VRS with Eibach Pro Kit Springs. The Eibachs were lised for Golf and Skoda 1.8 estate. They do fit and are a great ride, but have only lowered less than 5 mm. I have 18 inch rims and want to lower mine 20mm which is why I am now selling the eibach's which are only 4 months old and going for H&R.

I have contacted Weitec direct and Koni who both do not list springs now for VRS. I am sure other springs will fit but never wanted to take the risk, and always been told about the weight difference on the VRS.

Feedback welcome.