Mk 1 Octavia

Ok Mk2 better built but seems too civilised Mk 1 more raw

Alot of people say this, I find the mk1 vRS a bit tame. No growl from the exhaust that a performance biased model should have, fairly compliant over the bumps. I've never driven a mk2 but I'm intrigued!

I prefer the Mk1 vRS looks to the Mk2 vRS looks, but for the rest of the range I prefer the way the Mk2 looks.

The Mk2 has a vastly better interior though, and a better engine, and nicer suspension... imho its a better car.

I agree with this 100%

I am now on my 2nd mk1 vrs. Although the mk2 is a nice car I find mine much more of a drivers car.

Which is the faster car in standard form?

After test driving a mk2 it felt slow compared to the mk1, also I can keep up with a mk2 quite easily on a b road but I know it depends on the driver.

Definately prefer the MK1 in VRS guise. think the dash in MK2 is nicer but seats better in MK1.

Have a MK1 and been in a few MK2's at work in various guises. Feel a bit overweight and the 4x4's feel like boats when they roll through the corners! Also a bit difficult to see the front of the bonnet on the MK2 unless you pump the seat right up but the indicators in the mirrors are nice.

Has anyone got / driven a VRS TDI 170? Was curious as to what they are like? :)