Anyone know Andover?

As title says really! :) I'm looking to move to Andover (Hants) and just wanted to know nice places to live and places to avoid! Have found a nice house in Hadrian Walk and the area seems nice, and have also had a look in the King Arthur estate .... but not really me ;) Needs to be reasonably close to A303 as I work in Winchester, but all recommendations considered :)

Thanks!

Chris

As title says really! :) I'm looking to move to Andover (Hants) and just wanted to know nice places to live and places to avoid! Have found a nice house in Hadrian Walk and the area seems nice' date=' and have also had a look in the King Arthur estate .... but not really me ;) Needs to be reasonably close to A303 as I work in Winchester, but all recommendations considered :)

Thanks!

Chris[/quote']

Lots of Squadies around due to the base and lke many town there are some dodgy areas but I'm not sure where. ;)

I live in Basingstoke and the Beggarwood area in quite nice.......lots of new housing there and it close to the A303 or the A34 for the scenic route into Winchester.

I think though Basingstoke is a bit more expensive than Andover.

You wanna get a proper job, working for a proper company mate, somewhere exotic and cosmopolitan like where I work in Portsmouth, or really posh like Horsham. Don't be wasting your time in some back water in Winchester mate... and you know that shoddy outfit you work for will never come to anything.

Otherwise, there's a guy called Noel Vanstone (yes, that really is his name), who works for IGS up in Frimley, who I know, lives in Andover, so he could probably give you some tips.

Chaos

Been there once. Home of Stannah Lifts so you should be OK for a discount on a stair lift when you get to that certain age. Andover also has an excellent road - the A303 - which enables you to escape at speed to the East. If driving the other way, watch out for tanks crossing the road at right angles. That's about it...

You wanna get a proper job' date=' working for a proper company mate, somewhere exotic and cosmopolitan like where I work in Portsmouth, or really posh like Horsham. Don't be wasting your time in some back water in Winchester mate... and you know that shoddy outfit you work for will never come to anything.

Otherwise, there's a guy called Noel Vanstone (yes, that really is his name), who works for IGS up in Frimley, who I know, lives in Andover, so he could probably give you some tips.

Chaos[/font']

really posh like Horsham

does that mean I live somewhere really posh???? that would explain the bl**dy great mortgage :(

If there was time I could comment on that but maybe better to retain the illusion! Chaos knows roughly where I am after spotting me at speed today!

As far as Andover, have got relatives there who moved in a couple of years ago - they both love it

Try contacting Ian Bowyer ( White Lightning ) on www.wlnet.co.uk He had the Supra at Brunters & lives in Andover. He may be in Iraq at the moment as I know he was due out there for a couple of weeks.

There are a couple of areas in Andover that are seriously suspect but generally its a good place to live.

Captain chaos "exotic and cosmopolitan like where I work in Portsmouth" Wheres the other Portsmouth you are talking about, the only one I know certainly isnt Exotic & Cosmipolitan !!!

Captain chaos "exotic and cosmopolitan like where I work in Portsmouth" Wheres the other Portsmouth you are talking about, the only one I know certainly isnt Exotic & Cosmipolitan !!!

Hmm, aahh, well, you seem to have missed my subtle irony there about Portsmouth... I'm afraid that we both know the same slightly less than salubrious place. However, I was really have a dig at Chris, as we both work for the same fly-by-night two-bit operation, although to try and cover the Portsmouth comment a little bit, the office is actually in Cosham (which is on the mainland and not Portsea Island!). :D

...and hello Scrutineer! Yes, I'm afraid that the much more exotic location of Southwater / Horsham where you live, in the heart of the Sussex commuter belt probably does explain your high mortgage, but it is a jolly nice area!

One thing you can say about Andover though, is that it does seem an easy place to get out of... not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing? I live in a town shared by the locals, the Army (REME/SEME) and a RAF radar outpost, and while it does keep the house prices down, it really doesn't live up to the reputation that forces towns seem to have. I imagine this reputation is due to really busy army towns like Aldershot and Colchester where Army v Locals street fights do seem to be a regular occurence, but if Bordon is anything to go by, don't let the Army presence put you off.

Long winded answer there...

Chaos

Thanks guys well from what I've seen there is very little evidence of Forces anywhere, but I'll be taking a drive up there tonight as I'd imagine Friday night will show it in its worst light :D

Chris

Well, quick chat has revealed the following.

Hadrian walk seems to ring bells as not too good.

King Arthur I think is near where Andy lives (another work colleague)' date=' so quite a good one.

Will have a look on the maps when I get home[/quote']

Also said you'd be driving around this evening, so if he sees someone driving like a granny, looking lost in a black fabia vrs, he'll know who it is. To which he responded:

Well I will just cut them up like normal then. Always get in my way (even when walking).

LOL

You sure you want to live in Andover ? :D

My Mam lives in Andover.

King Arthers Way isn't nice ( :eek: ), and in the 2 year i lived there it was the place to avoid........... (it was a long time ago mind).

Floral way is ok, and IIRC Hadrians walk was ok!

the town centre is pants however, and full of Barryboy Nova's!

Get yourself up north............ :D

Gilly :thumbup:

Hi Gilly, yeah that was my first impressions of Andover and King Arthur's is definitely somewhere to avoid! ;)

Would love to move up North but I just can't understand what anyone is saying :P ;)

Cheers for all the replies guys! :D

Chris