Thought I'd been shot!!

driving to work yesterday morning there was an almighty bang!. Droing about 60 on a quiet A road.

stoped the car and check but no sign of damage.

diffo didn't hit anything, no other cars around, no people, no house - nothing. I have had this happen once before - any other similar reports?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you have the radio on? If so was did you lose sound after the bang? I had a similar thing happen twice in early ownership. Switched the radio off and back on and it worked fine. I'm sure it was a feedback, bad earth, static build up or something like that but it hasn't happened in the last 8 months.

I've found that if you carry bottled water (especially a part used one) in the car and leave it overnight, the cold air will cause the air inside to contract and collapse the plastic. When you next use the car with heater going, it will suddenly expand with an almighty crack that sounds as though something has hit the car. Worth thinking about.

Was the bang in 'surround sound' or from a specific part of the car (front, underneath etc)? :eek:

If 'surround sound' then radio short/feedback gets my vote. :thumbup:

Had radio on, but it didn't go dead after the bang. (although thought I was!!!!!!!).

Couldn't pinpoint the bang to any specific area but it did seem to be towards the rear. I do have the balance (fader??) on the stereo set to a rear bias so that maybe explains things.

Have you checked that your rear springs are ok?

car driving and handling ok. the bang was much sharper and loader than something mechanical breaking, really was like a gunshot or a stone hitting of the body or windscreen.

judging by the loudness of the bang I would have expected to see some damage, however light, if it had been something like that, but have checked thoroughly and not a mark anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same in mine the other week, doing about 50 on the motorway and suddenly got this huge bang from what sounded like the front drivers door area. The radio went off for a second or so then came back on. Nearly shat myself !!!

I had this happen to me and it was the coil spring broken at the base.

The spring looks ok, but top or bottom coil end breaks off with an almighty bang !!

Shortly after the other side did the same.

This was on a Mitsubshi I had a few years ago.

It made little difference to the handling, but will fail a MOT

The radio thing has happened to me as well.

Really dramatic, had to clean the seat.

What's causing it? Obviously not uncommon but has never happened in anything else I've driven nor in my 2 previous Octy 1s

Anybody got any answers??

car driving and handling ok. the bang was much sharper and loader than something mechanical breaking, really was like a gunshot or a stone hitting of the body or windscreen.

judging by the loudness of the bang I would have expected to see some damage, however light, if it had been something like that, but have checked thoroughly and not a mark anywhere.

Have you checked the local paper for domestics?