Lapping it up!!

Phil-E

My CPU temps are terrible. Early Q6600 (the power consuming one) which has been folding practically 24x7 using the SMP client (all 4 cores) and the temps in my machine are:

Temperatures:

Motherboard 43 °C (109 °F)

CPU 62 °C (144 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #1 78 °C (172 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #2 71 °C (160 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #3 71 °C (160 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #4 77 °C (171 °F)

Aux 34 °C (93 °F)

GPU 66 °C (151 °F)

Hitachi HDS722525VLSA80 43 °C (109 °F)

Hitachi HDS722525VLSA80 42 °C (108 °F)

Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 45 °C (113 °F)

• 1 year later...

Well guys... thread revival time.

Was bored this morning so whipped the CPU out (still got the Q6600) and started sanding away!

I just used some 'fine' paper from wilko's and then finished off with some 1500grit stuff.

God knows why I didn't just do it sooner... My idle temps were hovering around 40c being cooled by a Zalman Reserator WC setup... it has now been on for a few hours and is idling at 35c so I have lost 5c straight away.

So here we go:

Put the bathroom mirror to some use:

P1000846Medium.jpg

After a few minutes of sanding.... you can clearly see just how un-even the surface is:

P1000844Medium.jpg

All back inside the socket safe and sound.... shiny!:

P1000848Medium.jpg

Will run Prime95 later and see what she gets up to... was rising to around 57-60 before.

Edited by philje123

After an hour of Prime95 the CPU is sitting nicely at 46c which is a huuuuge improvement.

I think it would get up a bit higher if left longer and once the 2.5 litres of coolant had got up to temperature!

Phil

A decent CPU fan like the artic mentioned earlier would do the same, without risking your CPU sanding it :eek:

But then what would I have done in the hour that it took me to sand the CPU... :rofl:

And anyway my point in doing was becuase I already have a decent cooler just wasn't quite getting the results I should and now I am! So there! :P

The same can also be said for people who modify their cars... more to life than chasing an extra 5-10bhp or extra few mph through a corner. But the point is we do it... and we do it because we enjoy it and love to come out the other side and say 'Look what I've done!'

Just my take on it...

Phil

Leave it in the mobo and use 200 grit... :rolleyes:

Brilliant! I never though to do that :thumbup::cool:

I have a belt sander - what's the best grade paper to use, how long do I sand for and how much pressure do I need? Also do I take it out of the motherboard first?

Was that post served with extra irony???! :D

I have no problem with people modding cars, computers etc - in fact I built my own computer and I'm lookng at upgrading later this year with a view to water cool in 2010. I just couldn't get the image of someone sanding down their CPU with a belt sander and thought I would share my thoughts.

I just couldn't get the image of someone sanding down their CPU with a belt sander and thought I would share my thoughts.

Hehe... I must admit that I had the same kind of thoughts going through my mind... I had images of someone using a belt or black and decker mouse sander on their CPU.

It really would suprise me... I mean look at some of the threads on other forums of people doing crazy stupid stuff to their cars!

p.s. I've added my GFX card into the loop now and taken the northbridge block off... it's running a little bit warmer now thanks to the house heating properies of my 8800GTX! lol

Phil

You don't want another Res do you? I have my old one sitting on the floor. It has no pump in it as I was using an Eheim pump so would do you as another heatsink and mass of water.

You have a PM!

God Sven is going to kill me! :o

• 4 months later...

Just reading through some of my old threads and came across this one.

Well... sven did kill me! Lol. Not really... he just couldn't believe I had got another tower!

Temps are good. Once it's been running for a few hours it idles at 35c and the GPU at 45c. These rise up to about 46c and 57c respectively after a while of playing games which is bloody good for the graphics card... it used to idle at well over 60c when I first got it with the stock cooler on!

You may have seen this picture in another thread of mine but here goes!:

P1000903.jpg

Glad I did the lapping nowas I don't think it would have been quite as good especially with less air flow in the case as it is now (only 1 fan in there now).

I also modified the towers slightly by removing the very restrictive quick release fitting and putting compression fittings on and installing a tube inside that directs the water flow up to the top of the tower rather than it being pumped straight back out again.

Phil

• 2 years later...

Just going through some of my old threads and found this.

For all you who doubted... the old Q6600 is still going strong!

Still got more or less the same setup.

The pump in the reserator has been changed for the bigger version. Pipe work upgraded to 1/2". I also had to get a new PSU last year as that went pop. Also just slung a new graphics card in it (GTX 560 ti) which has also removed some heat from the water loop and allowed some overclocking (3.0GHz on the CPU). I think the motherboard may have changed since too looking at the picture. I got an XFX 780i SLi ages ago which is has a northbrdige and southbridge water block on so it's kept nice and cool.

Still a great system years on with only a few little upgrades.

Phil