how to clear plenum chamber drains

chrisski

Do you mean the front scuttle in where the wiper motors are?

If so then it's simply a case of lifting the plastic covering and removing the debris, leaves etc.

It will give better access if you remove the wipers and then remove the covers completely.

I would remend loosening the inside of the plastic wheel arch trim as well, as there will be some nicely formed compost in there too. Then use of a hosepipe from above to wash it all out.... (don't soak the pollen filter though)

Yes I had a nice compost factory behind my wheel arch liner/mudflap, which I discovered when I removed liner for TT vent mod.I ended up cleaning the other side as well as I dindnt like all that nice wet compost/mud trapped against the front wing.

The wipers aren't difficult to remove unless they are corroded on.

To remove -

Place some tape on the windscreen along the edge of the wiper blades to mark the position when replacing. Remove the two plastic covers to reveal the retaining nuts. Remove the retaining nuts.

Now comes the tricky bit, the wiper arms are on tapered splines. I find it easiest to 'rock' them to loosen them. There are also special tools available to remove them.

Yes I had a nice compost factory behind my wheel arch liner/mudflap, which I discovered when I removed liner for TT vent mod.I ended up cleaning the other side as well as I dindnt like all that nice wet compost/mud trapped against the front wing.

Some ppl have reported hearing a water sloshing noise due to the drains being blocked up. I just take a couple of screws out on each side, use my hand to pull most of of the compost out and then rinse though...

• 1 year later...

Many thanks to mbames for the advice regarding the "compost" behind the wheel arch liners. My 1998 Octavia was suffering from chronic water ingress while parked but clearing out the (substantial) build-up of mud has cured the problem. I had already tried renewing door membranes, sealing the grommet near the pollen filter with mastic, checking the sunroof drain hoses and (on the advice of my local dealer) blocking the pollen filter with plastic sheet, all to no avail.

There are numerous discussions on this forum about wet carpets but the above solution does not appear to be widely known. Thank you from one delighted forum member!

i just cleaned mine last weekend. its incredible the amount of crap that can get there. i used a blower to get all the leaves out and then some water to take the rest. i also took the oportunity to make a little mod, and used some fine wire mesh and glue it to holes on the plastic covers. this should block many of the things that usually get in there.

There were no leaves in mine, just a six inch high mass of damp mud (in varying shades like geological strata) which I dug out with a blunt instrument before cleaning the area with a brush and water. It looked as if the job had never been done before.

Reading Grubtraw's #13 above has me wondering whether it might be advisible to cut some extra drains in the arch liners, or might those make matters worse by allowing more ingress? This is open for opinion and debate both ways.

There were no leaves in mine, just a six inch high mass of damp mud (in varying shades like geological strata) which I dug out with a blunt instrument before cleaning the area with a brush and water. It looked as if the job had never been done before.

Ditto! I'm guessing the leaves had just biodegraded to form a Skoda style compost. Might start planting some vines in there, so my car looks like something from Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors!!

For those that don't know what I'm on about: Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia