Wheelnut caps

So if you're ever stuck at the side of a motorway with a flat tyre just how do you get the plastic nut covers off the damn wheel:confused:

I spent ages at home trying to do it with the wire thingy in the toolkit (thick wire bent into a loop with a hook on the end) as the only item that would have been to hand in a real emergency until resorting to a tool in my garage (a flat bladed screwdriver bent over 90 degrees at the end) that will now reside in the boot.

The handbook shows a tool similar to a fuse puller but that isn't in my kit in the boot and I can't see a slot for it in the moulding the tools are in anyway.

I'd have been stuffed in a real emergency and would have had to rely on the AA

What type of wheel caps do you have, sounds like you have the centre cap puller not the nut cover puller.

as seen here bottom left...

16_1_b.JPG

My '07 vRS came with this type; they are quite easy to use and a complete set can be found from time to time on ebay; see here;-

Audi VW Wheel Lug Nut Caps/Bolt Covers A3 A4 A6 TT Golf on eBay, also, Audi, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Mar-08 19:00:36 GMT)

You ought to be able to get the 'fuse puller' thingy from you dealer for a small price; but perhaps a new set would be better.

Thanks peeps

That looks like them on the left with the missing tool. Might just give dealer a call and see if I can get just the tool and how much otherwise I may get the set advertised and get nice new nut covers on the car - only thing is they look grey in the photo and mine are silver

Quite a few cars do end up with the wrong ones. Basically every car gets the wire hoop. The plastic nut covers come in a seperate bag with the removal tool. This either doesnt get put in the car on PDi (I have a fair few in the toolbox myself I must admit) or the valeters throw it away before delivery.

During the hand over the salesman at my dealers noticed that the nut cover puller was missing. Nice man supplied one in an instant only for us to find the original in the glove box, which he took back. I know it is an outside chance but have you looked in the box?

• 1 month later...
My '07 vRS came with this type; they are quite easy to use and a complete set can be found from time to time on ebay; see here;-

Audi VW Wheel Lug Nut Caps/Bolt Covers A3 A4 A6 TT Golf on eBay, also, Audi, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Mar-08 19:00:36 GMT)

You ought to be able to get the 'fuse puller' thingy from you dealer for a small price; but perhaps a new set would be better.

Will those exact covers fit pegasus alloys on an Octy 2?

Will those exact covers fit pegasus alloys on an Octy 2?

Yes; they will. I have used them with Pegasus wheels.

It is more a case of the cover fitting the wheelnut, regardless of which wheels you have.

Go to your friendly VW dealer and buy a set of caps for a Golf. IMO they look far better than the standard Octavia grey ones. As a bonus the wire tool you've got will remove them! Don't forget that the caps for the locking bolts are different inside.