20mm spacers on vRS.

Well, the standard wheels sit WAY inside the arches, and basically look a bit pants, so I thought I'd invest in some 20mm spacers for the rear, to bring them inline with the front wheels.

Before:

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

After:

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

Gives quite a nice stance from the rear:

2.jpg

and for the third time today - pics of the car! :P

3.jpg

5.jpg

You need hubcentric spacers (mine are made by FK), and longer wheel bolts. Although the wheel bolt covers still fit, you won't be able to reuse the standard lock nuts, so I'll be purchasing some longer McGuard ones in the very near future.

Not a bad mod for under £50, and makes the car feel much more settled on high speed bends to boot! :thumbup:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get your spacers and longer bolts from?

I think yours would now look good with some Eibach pro springs to lower it by 20mm.

Where did you get your spacers and longer bolts from?

I think yours would now look good with some Eibach pro springs to lower it by 20mm.

Mine were second hand - thanks to Simon! (Baker 21) Cheers matey!!

It will be lowered on Eibachs and Koni FSDs in the not so distant future :)

Mine were second hand - thanks to Simon! (Baker 21) Cheers matey!!

It will be lowered on Eibachs and Koni FSDs in the not so distant future :)

Baker 21 - that name rings a bell from my ukmkivs days!

Good stuff re the koni/eibachs. You've clearly got an understanding girlfriend/wife/partner etc.

Nowt wrong with the hand shandy! :P Besides, theres 2 types of people in this world, w@nkers and liars! :rofl:

At the risk of going hugely off topic I'll try and dig out some links for spacers. :)

This is a kit similar to mine, with bolt through spacers and longer bolts

Vw 20mm hubcentric wheel spacer kit 4x100 Golf,Polo,Gti on eBay, also, Wheel Spacers, Car Wheels, Tyres Trims, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Mar-08 04:08:41 GMT)

and this is an "adapter" type kit which bolts to the hub and wheels bolt to the adapter

H+R VW to Porsche wheel adaptors on eBay, also, Wheel Spacers, Car Wheels, Tyres Trims, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Mar-08 22:02:58 GMT)

Not quite the same thing, but you get the idea. :)

This is a kit similar to mine, with bolt through spacers and longer bolts

Vw 20mm hubcentric wheel spacer kit 4x100 Golf,Polo,Gti on eBay, also, Wheel Spacers, Car Wheels, Tyres Trims, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Mar-08 04:08:41 GMT)

and this is an "adapter" type kit which bolts to the hub and wheels bolt to the adapter

H+R VW to Porsche wheel adaptors on eBay, also, Wheel Spacers, Car Wheels, Tyres Trims, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Mar-08 22:02:58 GMT)

Not quite the same thing, but you get the idea. :)

Thanks Tom - nice work :)

Nice work there Tom; you're absolutely right about the need for spacers with the vRS and 'standard' wheels. That's why I went and got some as well a few weeks back.

I went for a slightly less wide approach with only 15mm ones but got them fitted front and rear. Mine are Eibach Hubcentric Pro-Spacers with longer bolts and McGard locking bolts bought from Demon Tweeks. (Did all cost me a bit more that £50 though!!).

Here are a couple of pics;-

OctaviavRS087.jpg

OctaviavRS088.jpg

DOes anyone have any close up pics of the wheel/hub with the spacers on?

Is it obvious that there are spacers fitted? Looking at those one on the link Lummox posted I'd need to paint them to match my hubs first I think.

Did this my old Ibiza R. Best value for money mod there is. Glad to here it works on the occy aswell :thumbup:

Any issues with lowering cars with spacer on i.e. rubbing on archliners?

Cheers

Chris

I tried with a set of non hub centric ones with disasterous results as wheel wobble at 60-70mph was awful, makes me wonder how/why these are sold or is there a way to fit them to avoid this?

I tried with a set of non hub centric ones with disasterous results as wheel wobble at 60-70mph was awful, makes me wonder how/why these are sold or is there a way to fit them to avoid this?

Forgive my ignorance but what actually does hub-centric mean?

Non hubcentric spacers are a bad idea imho. How can you guarantee its centred for starters? Then how do you ensure the wheel is centred on it? You can't, its as simple as that! :P

And do you have the correct bolts??

No prolems whatsoever with my hubcentrics, even at 100+ :) If you want spacers, its really worth shelling out on proper ones! :)

Having had a quick look at my wheels in the garage I'd be tempted to go 20mm at the rear and 15mm at the front.

I used a long spirit level on the top of each wheel arch down to the floor, and then used a tape to measure from the edge of the spirit level, to the badge in the middle of the wheel. The front was around 20mm, and the back around 40mm, hence me opting to go for 20mms on the back.

Its also worth pointing out that spacers will increase the forces acting on the bearings, so could theoretically wear out sooner. :)

Forgive my ignorance but what actually does hub-centric mean?

When you mount your wheel on the hub it sits on the centre of the hub snugly thus insuring the wheel is mounted centrally. Non hub centric spacers sit on this hub leaving nothing for the wheel to sit on. Hub Centric spacers replicate this hub so the wheel sits a it would normally.