20mm spacers on vRS.

When you mount your wheel on the hub it sits on the centre of the hub snugly thus insuring the wheel is mounted centrally. Non hub centric spacers sit on this hub leaving nothing for the wheel to sit on. Hub Centric spacers replicate this hub so the wheel sits a it would normally.

Thanks Lummox - obvious when you know :thumbup:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a long spirit level on the top of each wheel arch down to the floor, and then used a tape to measure from the edge of the spirit level, to the badge in the middle of the wheel. The front was around 20mm, and the back around 40mm, hence me opting to go for 20mms on the back.

Its also worth pointing out that spacers will increase the forces acting on the bearings, so could theoretically wear out sooner. :)

Mm, I wasn't quite that scientific, I just stuck my finger on the tyre and looked down from above :rofl:

Forgive my ignorance but what actually does hub-centric mean?

Hubcentrics are a MUST to be sure about locating the wheel centrally on the hub.

A hubcentric spacers, sort of, has its own hub for the wheel to sit on.

I measured mine quite carefully and reckoned that 15mm spacers would be quite enough.

Oh Steve its just not fair!!! :(

I sooooo want it lowered, but I also sooooo want Revo... and my VF intake is on order too.

But I don't have money to pay for any of it - its just not fair!!! :rofl: Wanna buy me some? :confused:

I think it looks great, but now its begging to be lowered :(

Looking good Tom. :cool: Tempted to to the front? Wider front track might help on the handling day. ;) (marginally, eh :D)

I've stuck all mine out 15mm, 2 by necessity, 2 to match. Purposeful look but does give a good feel on the road. :cool:

Is this a modification people feel the need to tell their insurers of? Better to be safe I suppose?

contrary to the poor advice in the post above. any modification should be noted to the insurer - if a spacer fails and a wheel falls off dont you think they will try and wriggle out of it.

spacers should be used as a last resort. buying wheels that fit the way you want is far far better.

Having had a quick look at my wheels in the garage I'd be tempted to go 20mm at the rear and 15mm at the front.

Pretty good choice although IMHO 15mm all round is spot on.

contrary to the poor advice in the post above. any modification should be noted to the insurer - if a spacer fails and a wheel falls off dont you think they will try and wriggle out of it.

spacers should be used as a last resort. buying wheels that fit the way you want is far far better.

Nothing wrong with a rear set of 15mm spacers. Probaby safer handling with them on anyway. Howcan a spacer fail, especially the TUV approved ones. It would be the incorrect fitting or incorrect use of bolts or studs that would generally bethe failure mechanism.

Plus you would techically also have to inform yur insurer about new wheels.

I'm not avocating NOT telling them, but were you draw the line? I have a DAB radio aerial, do I need to tell them about that??????

Chris

depends on your insurer...

Well yes.....and much like the rest of corprate industry they are there to fleece you :(.

I would be interested to know what various insurance companies responses to adding spacers would be in terms of policy increase. My lat one didn't see it as a problem as long as they were TUV approved.

Chris

Is this a modification people feel the need to tell their insurers of? Better to be safe I suppose?

I don't know about anyone else, but I always phone them up or email when I change from Tesco own brand to Shell V-max.

It's only prudent.

In fact I usually tell them when I am driving with a tail wind incase it changes my acceleration!! :rofl: (of course the use of a mobile, especillay in email mode, whilst driving renders that prudence short lived :()

I don't know about anyone else, but I always phone them up or email when I change from Tesco own brand to Shell V-max.

It's only prudent.

In fact I usually tell them when I am driving with a tail wind incase it changes my acceleration!! :rofl: (of course the use of a mobile, especillay in email mode, whilst driving renders that prudence short lived :()

Sarcasm Roolz :thumbup:

Of course an alternative to spacers is to get some wheels with the required offset to start with.

That's easily be done with the Skoda Accessory B14 wheels which are 8J x 18" with an offset of ET45. Pegasus, Sputnik, and IIRC Zeniths, are 7J x 17" ET54.

Here's the result (no spacers required);-

DSCF0013-1.jpg

with a pic of my Pegasus 7J x 17" ET54 with 15mm spacers for comparison;-

OctaviavRS087.jpg

I think you could do with an extra 5 mm on the back...

May get some 10 or 15mm spacers for the front of mine. :)

Don't get 10mm :eek: - they won't be hubcentric! :thumbdwn:

15mm on the front will be perfect. :thumbup: