Wacky Gulliver

WackyGulliver

I am not yet a Skoda owner but for th past 26 years have been running Mazda 626/6/323 cars from new. I am therefore accustomed to reliable motoring (I take it for granted now) but am now considering kicking against the high cost of Mazda franchise servicing. I am temporarily running a "family" Ka.

I am deeply interested in buying a new Octavia 1.9 diesel hatchack Elegance. I understand that the reliability/build quality of the Octavia is excellent, but I have heard of and read about issues that some owners have with unusual levels of oil consumption. Is this an Octavia diesel problem?

I would appreciate owner feed back on this issue, and any other "annoying" issues as I propose to keep my next car for 10 years/100000 miles.

Can any one infrm me please

Gulliver

I have the 2.0 TDi Octavia and it needs a litre of oil every 6k-7k miles which I don't find too bad.

The general opinion seems to be that oil consumption is somewhat dependent on how the car was originally run in - taking it too easy in the early days can increase oil consumption later on.

Thanks to all you guys replying to my oil consumption message.

Will most probably be buying a 1.9 diesel Ambiente or Elegance within the next 3 months. Am actively looking round for very attractive deals on new cars, then I will hopefully be a loyal 10 year plus Octavia man.

Wacky Gulliver

Hiya.

Mine (old 110, so not entirely typical of current models) hardly uses any oil. I've a theory that high consumption is associated with gentle running in and then running variable servicing.

Hiya.

Mine (old 110, so not entirely typical of current models) hardly uses any oil. I've a theory that high consumption is associated with gentle running in and then running variable servicing.

Mine was certainly not gently run in all the time :D

Also, the fabia has a fixed 10k service schedule.

Ben