Octavia Mk2 Iso connector

Morning all,

I have bought a JVC head unit and want to fit to my Octavia MK2.

I bought these connectors Car Audio Direct - Volkswagen/Seat wiring adaptor - Fitting Adaptor

and Car Audio Direct - Fakra aerial adaptor - Fitting Adaptor

I thought that these connectors would remove the need to cut any wires, but the gent in the shop said I might have to swap round the yellow and red cables.

Regarding aerial connecter, do I just connect the blue wire to the blue wire coming out of the skodas own wiring to power the aerial?

If anyone knows where there any good pics or guides it would be fab.

I have had a look on the other post but im still a little confused and just want to make sure so I dont drain the battery!

Thanks for any help.

It should work without cutting any wires. :D

As I see from pictures long red wire should be connected to the fuse box if you want to turn on/off your JVC radio with ignition.

About aerial, see from radio connector where is blue wire and connect it there. The radio will control when to power the aerial, so no worries for draining the battery. :thumbup:

Here are some of mine photos.

Hope this helps!

20504.attach

20505.attach

The Octy II doesn't have a switched live there so you will need to run the switched live (yellow) from the fuse box.

HTH

Excuse me if I appear green to all this. So is a switched live the lead that only sends power when the ignition is on?

Is it quite easy to find?

What will happen if I just connect up the iso connectors?

I think I might have to get a professional install :(

The switched live is indeed the power that is only on when the engine is on (switched by the ignition switch) :thumbup:

You would just need to connect a single wire to the yellow on the canbus to iso connector and run the other end to the fuse box. You then need a fuse box connector lead to plug into the back of the box.

A dealer would probably do it for you for not much if you provided all the parts with the exception of the fuse box holder.

If you just connect it up the unit will be on all the time so you might end up with a flat battery if it has a demo mode.

If you don't want to run the switched earth see if your radio has a section for cars with out a switched live. If it does you can do this, but must remember the radio won't turn itself off.

Thank you for the help so far guys, I think I might have worked it out now. On the iso block the red (labed power 12v) isnt connected to anything and where it is labelled (illumination) isn't connected to anything. The only ones that currently are is the (memory 12v) and the black ground cable.

On the Skoda block right and the car end, does anyone know what the 2 orange and brown cables do? My iso connector isnt connected to any of them. Also there are 2 red and white connections I assume they are the 12v from the battery? My iso is only connected to one of those and the ground.

Probably CAN-BUS data, but i can't tell without checking it out.

Stu posted you a link to the back of the radios above so if you have a stream MP3 have a look at where the wires are compared to that.

I know Stu had the equipment to wire things into the fuse box, so if you were in the area he may be willing to assist in exchange for some beer tokens or similar.

You won't have 2 orange and brown, you'll have one orange/brown and one orange/lilac. these are CAN Hi and CAN Lo, not required for your replacement HU.

The red and white will be perm live.

Thank you so much for helping out guys, I truly appreciate it. You pros must be thinking what a novice lol!

I have checked out the manual wiring instructions (JVC AVX44) and it says that the memory 12v is the permanent live bypassing the ignition switch. This is connected. The power 12v is the switched live you guys were on about. It says it goes to an accesory terminal in the fuse block. But I dont fancy dismantling too much!

The one im not sure about is the illumination connection 'to car light control switch) which isn't connected would this be why the head unit isnt displayling anything. All it does is just open and close. I think I might have to accept defeat here and contact Stu on PM like you suggest cheeze.

Any last ideas?

The CAN connector doesn't have a illumination lead. The Octy II Radios use CAN data to use PWM to control the brightness of the display.

You should be able to get one from your light switch I think, but the link Stu has given you should have more info.

The reason the unit just opens and closes could be:

- Nothing is connected to the switched live. You usually have to connect something even if it's just another permanent live. (You can use a double bullet or scotch lock here.

- You have somehow connected a data line to somewhere it shouldn't be and the pulsing high/low data is causeing the unit to get confused.

I'd try option 1 first.

Someone at work gave me a hand, we got it working, thanks for you help guys!!

We connected the switched live out of the JVCs loom to the spare perm live of the Skoda loom. I will have to make sure I remove the head unit everytime so that the battery doesn't drain.

Thanks again!

For anyone reading this in the future the Skoda fitting kit is the better option and includes the wiring, antenna adaptor and 2 to 1 Din facia all with instructions.

Single Din Radio Facia Adaptor for Vehicles with Climatic - AZO 600 002

Single Din Radio Facia Adaptor for Vehicles with Climatronic - AZO 600 003

For anyone reading this in the future the Skoda fitting kit is the better option and includes the wiring, antenna adaptor and 2 to 1 Din facia all with instructions.

Single Din Radio Facia Adaptor for Vehicles with Climatic - AZO 600 002

Single Din Radio Facia Adaptor for Vehicles with Climatronic - AZO 600 003

The better option by far! Talk about headache, and I thought getting ISO connectors was supposed to make it straight forward! :thumbdwn: