Dog !!rear bumper cover ??

Another pic of the dirty areas , notice even rubber gets muddy. Cleaning that is a problem in itself.

30-03-08_medo2.jpg

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tor Combi.

Hi Chugger, This one of Milotec is probably the best looking for the bumper. Its the rubber and the grooved plastic before the bumper that is also now a issue as it also gets damaged. So full covers or towel, with commands are still being looked into, Thank you for the url.

Hi Surfdude

Groenendael ? we have been asked that before, no he is a plain mutt just like his owners were all of mixed breeding. Swims , retrieves, has a good nose, and has herding tendencies. Not aggressive in anyway, house/ family protective and weighs 30 klo, has his own vets passport and is chipped.

So Surfdude how do you get over our little problem with 3 dogs in your car, what car is it anyway ??

Hehe - remains to be seen - we only 2 dogs when we had our last octavia (mk1) but they had enough space in there for the odd game of fetch (probably), 3 shouldn't be a problem. The 14-year old sheltie just curls up in the corner and sleeps anyway.

Interesting that you mention your dog getting sick - we have the same porblem with the 4-year old groeny we have. No food for a few hours before a journey. The 6-month old one is fine though.

I get the new car next week (exciting :D) - it's an Anthracite Mk2 Octavia Estate 105TDi.... sound good? :) .... but its an Elegance rather than a 4x4.

Only real concern now we have the additional weight of a 3rd dog, is that I may have to reinforce the upper-boot floor, or remove it altogether.

Hi

Nice choice of car.

We have the Skoda tray in the boot area. So what about the bumper/ rubber ?? we are about to try out the command method today once it stops raining. This combined with a towel over the areas concerned,

Hi Surfdude

Just came back from a short run for the dog and a huge meal for us, !!! Anyway may have some pics later, Medo ( dog) stays / sits within the boot area 99 % of the time as commanded ( without titbits) this we have never tried before believe it or not. However he will start to move forward to the exit as the hatch opens, that is both our blind spots, unless constantly given the command stay. We would estimate that 90% of the time he will either sit or lay back from the hatch/ door, allowing for the towel to be put in place. He will of course do this in reverse before entering, but we also have to now remember this new regime, of .... Command Stay, Open Hatch Reinforcing Command as we do so, and grabbing for towel, and placing it over areas concerned. Then the command OUT, ( we use IN also ) seems to work for him better than us, not surprising !!!. Towel maybe too thin even in 3 folds, might still use a permanent fixture/ plastic of the bumper, jury still out on that.

Hi Surfdude

Just came back from a short run for the dog and a huge meal for us, !!! Anyway may have some pics later, Medo ( dog) stays / sits within the boot area 99 % of the time as commanded ( without titbits) this we have never tried before believe it or not. However he will start to move forward to the exit as the hatch opens, that is both our blind spots, unless constantly given the command stay. We would estimate that 90% of the time he will either sit or lay back from the hatch/ door, allowing for the towel to be put in place. He will of course do this in reverse before entering, but we also have to now remember this new regime, of .... Command Stay, Open Hatch Reinforcing Command as we do so, and grabbing for towel, and placing it over areas concerned. Then the command OUT, ( we use IN also ) seems to work for him better than us, not surprising !!!. Towel maybe too thin even in 3 folds, might still use a permanent fixture/ plastic of the bumper, jury still out on that.

Ok so here are some shots taken today, Command method using a towel as a defense against scratches , all comments welcome, thank you.

Just opened hatch, given command sit or down , sometimes he lays down if we sound too stern.

13-04-08_1330.jpg

Other occasions, he is just raring to go as hatch goes up.

13-04-08_1424.jpg

At command OK note use of towel.

13-04-08_1333.jpg

Now back again after short walk of course.

13-04-08_1334_1.jpg

Up up and in we go.

13-04-08_1335.jpg

Off for another ride are we.

Photo-0024.jpg

Never a dull day says he.

Photo-0030.jpg

Thats it folks, towel and command method, jury out on the use of plastic at this time.:thumbup:

Looks like a well behaved dog to me! And by the way he's licking his lips, there must be some tasty treats close by too :)

I think ours have just got out of the habit of having a "step" to stand on when jumping in or out. Most of their journeys are in the wife's Beetle - they have to hurdle over the narrow boot lip in that... nothing to get their mucky paws on at all :)

(maybe doing agility with them helps too :D)

We have the waterproof cover as per the other thread mentioned above for our estate. Just means dropping the flap and dog does as yours and has the added bonus of keeping upholstery clean for say 9 inches to a foot all the way round the boot area. Works well and loops onto the little toggly things inside boot areas and has velcro to keep exactly where it needs to be

That and the dog guard I have to say are pretty well designed

Like Stu, I'm going to be getting a nice rug/blanket to keep in the net at the back of the boot for lying in the boot or laying over the boot entry for heavy loads etc.

Saying that though, I like the look of the quilted products linked to above :) Seem reasonably priced too - just not keen on green! :P

Hi, I have a Vrs Race Blue Estate and TWO Jack Russells. All they want to do is get out and play! I have an old sheet which is spread across the load area floor with enough to pull out and cover the bumper. My trick is to lift the tailgate slowly and pull the sheet out before they can get paws out. Up to now it works ( Car is only 6 months old) and I haven't got any scratches!:)

Hi

Astonbuilder, we have a Skoda boot mat, it has dimples all over it and has good grip. We were away yesterday all day with the dog, and wind was a new issue. Using same method command etc all goes well, but windy conditions blows the towel or any other cover for six. However dog is getting well used to waiting before coming out and again on returning. We even cover the Skoda tray/ matt with a cloth to absorb the odd water drops that get splashed around when dog is confined while shopping etc. This cloth too was sent blowing in the wind yesterday, so it was trifle problematic. The fixed plastic ideas for the bumper at least would stop that problem, but of course you still require cloth for the rubber surround and the inner step of the hatch. Can't train the weather !!!

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tor Combi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Re: part 2 4x4 Mountains snow,beach in 1 day

eee i'd have a cover on that back bumper to stop the dog's paws scratching it personally - interesting pics though.

1.9 TDI Elegance - Cappuccino Beige

Plenty enough power and torque for the economy offered

Hi James thank you for that remark, but how ??? cloth, !! when we open the hatch. dog has already one paw out., Carry this whatever ??? that will get even dirtier each time he emerges, where ?? inside the boot, ?? not in the car !!! Dog can go in and out many times times in course of a day, muddy wet, etc. We have a tray inside, but even the inside gets splashed , and we have to clean that off every trip. Looking for a answer from any other dog lover, with this problem. :confused:

04-04-08_1601.jpg

Well scratches are the subject again !!

This time we are 6months and 23,000 km into our 4x4 estate, and our dog ( named Medo) which is Croatian for bear has struck again. As you can see from this thread we stopped this happening ( photo) by using a cover each time we let dog in and out of the car so protecting the bumper area. Now it seems he has been scratching ( as we return to the car in his excitement), the inside of the hatch beneath the rear window his way if saying open up we suppose !!!

99% of these scratches are only surface marks, but so far unable to find a product to remove them altogether. Then today to my surprise after cleaning the hatch area of dog hairs etc I found 2 deeper scratches :eek: this I do not like. For those in the know !! his claws are worn with plenty of concrete walking and the vet has always given them the thumbs up:thumbup:. The two scratches are on the vertical section which is unlike the others. We are thinking of some of the products again mentioned in this thread to be stuck over the areas. Then maybe in a few years when we change the car, we shall replace the inner hatch area, which is one piece I think that goes below the rear window to the boot lock, I suppose it can be replaced ??

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tour Combi.