Repairing Jumpy Volume Control

dc63

A few weeks ago I got tired of the erratic volume control on my Symphony head unit and decided to have a go at fixing it. So far the fix has worked well so I thought I'd post the method here for others to try.

Remove head unit from dash.

Remove top cover from head unit (mine just prised off).

Remove screws securing the CD tray and carefully unplug ribbon cable.

A small circuit board is visible behind the volume control.

On the small circuit board, you should see a row of 4 solder contacts where 4 blue wires attach.

Solder a 0.01 microfarad capacitor across the two lower solder contacts.

Re-assemble head unit.

I've not posted images before but hopefully there's an image below showing the fitted capacitor.

y1p0vQxafk1LBqEmiw2UFr2Ize87Dpy7wQhT_GfyRZANOd5yxvFRvT3Av8PQtKKfXzK2Ibu0ZyB2bk

The capacitor can be bought from places like Maplin for just a few pence :thumbup:

Just want to ask, was the volume jump when you adjusted the volume manually ( i.e twisted the button) ?

As there is an auto volume that adjusts depending on the car speed and interior noise that can be switched off.

had to as as it didnt seem too clear from the initial post

This bugged me so much i went aftermarket lol, good post

I considered it but then: do you keep the original until you sell the car? I quite like the look of things left standard... which one do you choose? I just want a stereo to listen to music and most of the new ones look like they could control a moon landing...

Too many decisions and then 18 months later... you've got rsi from having to over adjust the volume all the time!

£80's not bad, is it?

Are they a direct replacement for a cassette version then? Would be the only way I'd see they'd be worth the money - apart from as a replacement for a broken one I guess.

I stuck a CD changer/Aux in adaptor thing into mine for my mp3s. Only prob I had was giving it a decent earth and then stopping it moving around inside the dash and pulling said earth out! I couldn't work out why it kept failling every few weeks!

No not to bad, the car also had the dension ipod link (got £70 for that) so a grand total of £150 to buy an aftermarket unit, not bad me thinks (i dont have an ipod so was no use to me)

I sold the OEM hu to someone who was upgrading there cassette unit :)