Got stopped by the police tonight

skodagirl1985

I don't want a gun, but i do think criminals should give up their rights to a point when they break in etc.

I have been burgled twice, both times i was in. One of those times I made the burglar stay until the Police arrived. If I had posessed a gun, I would have shot the scumbag :) The problem then, is apart from this being way OT, is that the criminals will then be armed before breaking into your house, so instead of you just feeling violated, and yourself and your family being put at risk, the situation escalates to possible fatalities - over what? Some property.

Having said that if I collared another scumbag and i felt personally threatened, I wouldn't hesitate in neutralising the immediate threat by whatever means avaliable at the time.:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to admit the cops were doing their job properly were friendly enough, I guess they see the car everynight in the station when I drop SWMBO off so they prob guessed we were regular users of the station.

It was when he was asking questions about how quick the car was, engine underneath and how the transport police have their octy I knew it was not going to be any hassle.

But do you think it will be as easily walked over as we are?

To a certain extent, yes I do. The American Government have several new laws since the 11th September 2001 including in particular the Patriot Act which allows the authorities to secretly break into your home, steal your possessions, plant keylogging software onto your computer and to conduct surveillance on the suspicion that you are a 'terrorist'.

If you break into/or damage my property/or threaten my family then like the USA you should [b']RELINQUISH YOUR HUMAN RIGHTS AS YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW.[/b]

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree.

I had a very strange and slightly queasy experience a year ago at Birmingham airport. I had passed the passport control and was on my way to pick up my luggage when a plain-clothes officer of the West Midland Police addressed me in a very casual and non-official way. Being a friendly and polite person I stopped, of course.

Still very casual and non-official the police started to talk about the "multi-cultural society" and what were my thoughts on that :eek::confused: And he knew that I was a Uni lecturer :eek::confused: - that's not in my passport (which, by the way, he hadn't seen). Was it guesswork? Maybe I look like a Uni lecturer and nothing else? Or had he (via his headset) received some top secret information from the computer at the control desk?

Maybe he was just terribly bored, and noting the intelligence radiating from my eyes :P gripping at the opportunity to have a few moments of rewarding conversation? Or did my baggy corduroy suit put all alarm bells ringing: Watch out, a leftie intellectual?

Hopefully spilling the beans here won't lead to a permanent ban for entering the UK... not even Briskoda is safe from the spooks' surveillance :cool:

As is pretty common , laws are written for one purpose and end up getting used for another.

The various provisions of the Terrorism Act are being used for all sorts of stuff , just like the Harrasment act which was intended to combat stalkers gets used for just about anything that happens more than once.

Not too far OT (I hope) - the story this morning about some council using anti-terror surveillance laws to spy on a family to make sure their daughter had the right to go to a particular school! And not that long ago the old chap ejected from the labour party conference and held under 'anti-terror' provisions. And this is the government who are still hell bent on ID cards and identity databases....but they won't get misused, oh no. :mad:

I would not worry about it, you've not really done anything wrong and remember with regards to terrorism, a terrorist does not have to be

Islamic

Asian

Al Queda

Off White in colour

Sporting a beard

It's not so long ago that the IRA/PIRA were using car bombs with remote detonation, proxy bombings etc

We have to find a healthy balance between vigilance and paranoia, and besides the occifer may have just been having a bad day :)

Got me wondering just how good they are. I've got an Elegance estate, and normally run with the cover "open", but keep stuff (mostly tools) under the false floor. Would they even spot that?

I object completely to all the changes that have been made over the last 12 years.

We have no bill of rights like the USA,and what we did have has been radically changed and in favour of the goverment.

The changes that Winston Churchill bought in after the 2nd World War to make us a more democratic/free nation have been erroded over the decades.

Our right to defend ourself has been taken away,we have no right to bear arms as that has been taken away.

WHO ARE MORE YOU MORE SCARED OF????

THE TERRORIST OR THE GOVERMENT?

I am more scared of the goverment and how many of our freedoms are being taken away from us.

Trouble is no one in this country cares,all they worry about is how much there bloody house is worth,its somewhere to live,not to make money from.

Hi WrightyRS,

Agree with most of what you have said here, and especially the last paragraph. A house is to live in and not to speculate with, as we have something called a stock market for that.

I liked what you where saying here.

I detest governments also, and won't give a vote to any of the rabble.

Soviet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi, as a foot note, there is one thing that you have written which I am not agreeing with, and that is the right to bear arms. May be if the country is at war, but not otherwise, as it must be hell on earth to live in America where this right exists. have you by chance been following the history of film star Charlton Heston who sadly died recently, but was president of Americas rifle club, and did every thing to further the aims of the gun lobby.

Having lived in England/UK for many years now, I think this is something that we have thankfully managed without and certainly do not need. It is already bad enough with children being stabbed in schools, and so we do not need guns in schools also. I recall a school named Beslan, and the terrible things that took place there. You must surely remember this terrible thing, as it was shown on global news casts.

I think that you need to think really carefully about this thing that you are saying here, unless I have misunderstood you completely.

Guns are for a war situation, or protection of sovereign country, or for special police situations, but certainly not for widespread carrying by the ordinary citizen.

I am not racial, but most of current gun crime in the UK is among the black population, and between rival gangs of them, which is really a pity. We do have a bill of rights in Britain, which is how power was taken from royalty and given to parliament, during the reign of 'James the first' who was exiled to France, and this is the basis of the house of commons and all the parlimentary laws that have followed. I think that this was around the 1600's decade. I.e. royalty used to set the taxes, issue a decree for freedom of speech etc, but this was taken away from the king, when the bill of rights was drawn up.

Soviet

EVQ :-The American bill of rights was based solely upon the British bill of rights.

Soviet:rolleyes:

if you have nothing to hide why would you worry about being searched.

I for one wouldn't mind being or having my property searched on an adhoc basis, I would rather they did this as they may catch someone who may although not intentionaly injure or even murder someone very close to you and you would then blame the police etc for not doing anything about it.

Just my 2p worth

if you have nothing to hide why would you worry about being searched.

I for one wouldn't mind being or having my property searched on an adhoc basis, I would rather they did this as they may catch someone who may although not intentionaly injure or even murder someone very close to you and you would then blame the police etc for not doing anything about it.

Just my 2p worth

If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind us installing CCTV cameras with sound links in every room in your house, monitoring your phone conversations, and GPS tracking you and your car then, will you? ;)

If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind us installing CCTV cameras with sound links in every room in your house, monitoring your phone conversations, and GPS tracking you and your car then, will you? ;)

Whos to say that homes don't allready have cameras and microphones in them, you don't know what the previous owners did and the government seem very keen to keep building new houses :)

GPS tracking, who has a satnav? surely this could be used for tracking you if the powers that be wished it so.

it is one thing to stop someone in the street and search their belongings and it's a completly different thing to search someone's house. Granted, you could make explosife devices in your home but you would have to walk/drive/cycle/bus/plane/train or what ever to get that device to where you wanted it, this is where the on the spot checks is usefull.

Like I say I have nothing to hide and 'yes' I would feel why me if I was stopped and searched but they are only doing their job and ultimatly they are tryin to keep the public safe.

You need more than just a sat nav to GPS track someone; you need a transmitter to get the GPS position sent to a remote agent who is doing the tracking.

Bottom line; unless you have actual grounds for believing that a specific individual is engaged in some form of criminal activity, then you have no grounds for stopping them, much less searching them or their property. Of course, there's even less point in doing a "stop and search" on a suicide bomber; big clue in the word "suicide" as to why! ;)

Hi WrightyRS,

Agree with most of what you have said here, and especially the last paragraph. A house is to live in and not to speculate with, as we have something called a stock market for that.

I liked what you where saying here.

I detest governments also, and won't give a vote to any of the rabble.

Soviet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi, as a foot note, there is one thing that you have written which I am not agreeing with, and that is the right to bear arms. May be if the country is at war, but not otherwise, as it must be hell on earth to live in America where this right exists. have you by chance been following the history of film star Charlton Heston who sadly died recently, but was president of Americas rifle club, and did every thing to further the aims of the gun lobby.

Having lived in England/UK for many years now, I think this is something that we have thankfully managed without and certainly do not need. It is already bad enough with children being stabbed in schools, and so we do not need guns in schools also. I recall a school named Beslan, and the terrible things that took place there. You must surely remember this terrible thing, as it was shown on global news casts.

I think that you need to think really carefully about this thing that you are saying here, unless I have misunderstood you completely.

Guns are for a war situation, or protection of sovereign country, or for special police situations, but certainly not for widespread carrying by the ordinary citizen.

I am not racial, but most of current gun crime in the UK is among the black population, and between rival gangs of them, which is really a pity. We do have a bill of rights in Britain, which is how power was taken from royalty and given to parliament, during the reign of 'James the first' who was exiled to France, and this is the basis of the house of commons and all the parlimentary laws that have followed. I think that this was around the 1600's decade. I.e. royalty used to set the taxes, issue a decree for freedom of speech etc, but this was taken away from the king, when the bill of rights was drawn up.

Soviet

EVQ :-The American bill of rights was based solely upon the British bill of rights.

Soviet:rolleyes:

So do feel safer that you are not able to protect/arm yourself?

You tell/show evidence that banning guns in this country has made a safer place here or anywhere else that has similar laws and i will read and take it on board.

Also what would happen in generations to come if dangerous dictators come along and threaten our way of life?

I'm sure the people of Zimbabwe wished they still had there guns over the last few years so they could have tried to get rid of Mugabe.

But he banned gun ownership as he knew this was a threat to him and him staying in power.

Do you not fear the same could happen in the future in our so called "safe" western world?

I have lived in USA and in states where you can carry on your person after carrying out a state run course to get a permit.

And i have never felt scared.

In fact knowing i have the choice to protect myself and my family is very reassuring.

Using a firearm is a very skilled task,that there is no doubt.

I have had contact with firearms from a young age,and its like everything,education is what is needed.

The lack of education about firearms hinders our country and the hype in the press makes people even more scared.

I completely respect other peoples views on this subject i just like a good discussion and to try to open people minds to the other side of the whole subject.

Thanks for reading.