Mk2 vs Mk1

I am sure this comparison has been made here before, but I thought I would post my views.

I have a Mk1 Fabia 2.0i Elegance which is in for repair and I am driving a Fabia 3 1.4 16v courtesy car. I wanted to try a 1.6 16v, but most of my comments and impressions do not relate to the engine. The engine is quite nippy for a 1.4. It is OK about town.

Internally, I was a bit disappointed. On the plus side, there is a bit more room and it is more comfortable to get in and out. The Climatronic is a bit better than my old A/C and the trip computer has slightly improved. The seats had a soft fabric and not as much support as on my Mk1. The head restraints were a little harder. The plastic metal-look door handles and trim are really naff. They are chrome on my Mk1. The dials were not so clear - mainly because of the grey surround. On the other hand, the readout for the trip computer was very clear.

Storage is not as good. The double glove box has less volume that the old single one and is less usable. There is no standard under-seat storage, no covered ashtray/waste container (where do I put sweet wrappers, apple cores and chewing gum?), no sliding tray, no drivers side storage hatch and no side pockets in the seats. But there are cup and bottle holders, and a space in the central arm rest. However, this is a daft design because it is awkward to change gear with it in position.

The CD/radio + aux input is better, but I tend to go for my own system anyway. One observation is that my choice of position for my Parrot hands-free unit (by the steering column) is not going to work on the Mk2 Fabia. The fuse box is in a better place. One is able to tinker without the door open - handy in the wet. (The Mk1 has the fusebox at the end of the dashboard)

Driving the car was OK. Vision was spoilt by enormous Skoda stickers on the rear windows (being a courtesy car). These were, frankly, a driving hazard. The steering was good, but the brakes were spongy (900 miles on the clock). Handling was better than I expected.

The exterior is not protected by rubbing strips at the front or back. Maybe they could be added later. I note that the Sport version (which replaces useful equipment and accessories with plastic body kit) has a protruding ankle-breaker at the front that would not be suitable for a rubbing strip. I prefer the locking petrol flap on the Mk1 to the open petrol flap + key-locking cap on the Mk2. The side mirrors are taller and narrower, but it seems to me that wider is better than taller for useful vision.

IMO, the Mk2 Fabia is not a bad car but, if I had the choice of a new Mk1 Elegance or a new Mk2 Fabia 3 at the same price, I would go for the Mk1 all the time. I am looking forward to getting my old car back already.

Nice review , I assume the trip computer was more visible because the 3 has standard Maxidot?

It has bright white text on a pure black background. The Mk1 has an old grimy-green LCD with black text.

yeah i was really impressed with my mk1 2.0 elegance too. even with such a high mialage it was really responsive

comparing the engine, the 2.0 has a lot more instant punch than the 1.6 16v (how ever it might just be because the 1.6 i drove was in a roomy and hadnt done many miles and the power was later in the rev range)

im in the middle of looking for a replacement car. and i dont know what to get:confused::)

the fabia 3 is pretty nice, but its lost its classy touch of the chrome and just the simplicity of the car, i noticed too about how the new fabia didnt have a flush petrol flap, or the twin reversing lights.

im in the middle of looking for a replacement car. and i dont know what to get:confused::)

Me too. My Mk1 has just sneaked in for an ABS box replacement, just before the warranty is up. I am naturally considering the Mk2, but I am not very impressed. It has improved on some fronts, but is a backward step on other fronts.

I noticed too about how the new fabia didnt have a flush petrol flap, or the twin reversing lights.

I only just noticed that the Mk2 puts a picture of the car on the radio front panel when reversing to indicate how close one is to any obstacle. Nice touch. Very useful on courtesy cars with Skoda decals over the rear windows.

I picked up a MK2 Fabia 3 1.9 Tdi and part ex'd my VRS SE last Monday. It is in Black with a white roof and sunset glass. Bought with 2k off list price.

My observations this far:

Horn - sounds awful compared with the VRS dual tone, it could be a Fiesta :(

Cruise Control - With the 4 spoke wheel it is impossible to see the set / reset buttons on the end of the stalk.

Lack of heated seats - standard on MK1 Elegance.

I agree with the previously mentioned lack of underseat storage, extremely underwhelming door handles and un-supportive seats. One of the worst points is the lack of oddments storage in the front of the vehicle with no ashtray or cigarette lighter. Why would anyone need 3 cup holders? Couldn't Skoda have designed a pop-out cup holder as used in the Polo?

That said it is very nice & comfrotable to drive and the stereo is very user friendly, but really should offer the multi-disc as an option. It is shown in the user manual.

Insurance 50% of what it cost on the VRS :)

We keep looking at a mk2 sport, but like the 2.0i in our mk1 as it has abit of zip,Car has only done 33,000m and running well just can't justify the price to change. my have to go down the slippery slope with a mod or two.

I agree with the previously mentioned lack of underseat storage, extremely underwhelming door handles and un-supportive seats. One of the worst points is the lack of oddments storage in the front of the vehicle with no ashtray or cigarette lighter. Why would anyone need 3 cup holders? Couldn't Skoda have designed a pop-out cup holder as used in the Polo?

They might not be standard but most of the above are options and you do get some stuff that wasn't standard on the Elegance on the level 3 I think. Did you order yours new or from stock?

My Roomster came with a "smokers pack" which includes a nice cup with a lid which I think is supposed to be an ashtray but is too nice for that and a cigaratte lighter.

Agree about the door handles though, the old Fabia ones were clearly nicer. The seats I can't comment on but perhaps the ones in the Sport are better?

I have a Mk1 Fabia 2.0i Elegance which is in for repair and I am driving a Fabia 3 1.4 16v courtesy car.

I got my old Fabia back today, after driving 175 miles in the new Fabia. It is sometimes good to do a backward comparison, having got used to a new car.

Getting back into my old Fabia was not as easy as the new Fabia. It seemed a little cramped and low - having got used to a high seat and a bit more space in the new Fabia. I lifted my seat just a little. However, I was sitting in the car rather than on it. It felt more in contact with the road - more like a sports car.

Going back to the old Fabia, it was even more noticeable how much better it felt at cornering. The old Fabia's suspension is relatively soggy anyway, but there was less lurching than in the new Fabia. And the seats held me better. I do wonder how they are going to overcome CG height in any sports variant. It is not just the roof - it is the seats and equipment in the cabin that are higher up.

Going across the Severn bridge, it was very noticeable how much more stable the older, lower Fabia was in a crosswind.

Getting back to my old Fabia, the brakes were far better. Of course, it has disks all round (Fabia 3 has drums at rear, except the Sport). The steering is heavier on my old Fabia, but then I think the tyres are wider and the engine heavier.

Noise at speed was similar as far as the engines are concerned. The 2.0 is a noisier engine but was revving 500rpm less. Wind noise and tyre noise seemed more subdued on the new Fabia.

Of course, it was great to have the extra welly from the 2.0i engine, but I am trying to eliminate engine performance in this comparison. In short, I am glad to have my old Fabia back. I don't know what they can do to make the new Fabia more attractive to me. It is not a bad car - just not a better one, on balance, than my old one.

Mine was from stock. I'm not aware of any 3 extras over an Elegance. Sport seats are better, but still oddly different to a Mk1.

The Climatronic is a Fabia 3 extra over the Elegance basic A/C, and so is the aux input for the radio/CD, and the adjustable height passenger seat, and the central arm rest.

Otherwise, Elegance has rear discs, heated front seats (fun to make passengers think they have pi55ed themselves), underseat storage (passenger side) and dashboard tray.

What they give you in one hand, they take away with the other. Adjustable height passenger seat was standard on a polo sport in 2002 (I had one). The central arm rest is something I can do without, how are you meant to change gear or use the handbrake with it down. How much does the aux input cost? My car is the 1st I've seen with more than 100 bhp with rear drums, a regressive step I'd say. Another 'extra' must be the completely annoying seatbelt warnings whenever the belt is unplugged. Another carry-over (with the central armrest) from the golf/plus that is unecessary.

...My car is the 1st I've seen with more than 100 bhp with rear drums, a regressive step I'd say...

Considering the state the rear discs got/get on many Mk1 vRSes, I don't think it's that stupid a plan. Even driving like a tool at times, my first lot corroded badly through lack of use...

Considering the state the rear discs got/get on many Mk1 vRSes, I don't think it's that stupid a plan. Even driving like a tool at times, my first lot corroded badly through lack of use...

If you brake hard, doesn't that make the front brakes work more and the rear brakes work less? I have had two 2.0i's with rear disks and I have not had any problems.

If you brake hard, doesn't that make the front brakes work more and the rear brakes work less? I have had two 2.0i's with rear disks and I have not had any problems.

mine lasted the whole 100k!!

Another 'extra' must be the completely annoying seatbelt warnings whenever the belt is unplugged. Another carry-over (with the central armrest) from the golf/plus that is unecessary.

Shouldn't you be wearing the seatbelt young man?

I have the armrest in my Roomster. Can't say I've actually used it to rest my arm but it is useful extra storage.

Of course I should, and indeed I do.:D It's just the red seat belt light, the maxidot message and then ding bl**dy dong when you do anything over walking pace. I get the message, and don't need telling 3 times :eek:

You probably don't but thousands of other people will.

The armrest can be adjusted to slope which means you can change gear with it in place.

No one seems to have mentioned the fact the Mk2 is far better laid out and much better quality. The dash doesn't rattle, the door cards don't buzz, the trim doesn't fall apart, the heater controls are easy to use when driving and it's a lot less likely to need warranty work in the first 10k (Based on my own experiance). Oh and the stereo is in a different league.

Also, the rear discs on the VRS and other Mk1's do suffer from premature rot because the do bugger all especially on the nose heavy VRS. If you have had 5 VRS's that means you have gone through 1 a year on average since it's launch so you wouldn't have seen much corrosion on them over that time.

No one seems to have mentioned the fact the Mk2 is far better laid out and much better quality. The dash doesn't rattle, the door cards don't buzz, the trim doesn't fall apart, the heater controls are easy to use when driving and it's a lot less likely to need warranty work in the first 10k (Based on my own experiance). Oh and the stereo is in a different league.

The Mk2 is laid out differently - neither better nor worse in my opinion. It is the same good quality as the Mk1, but it does have naff metal-coloured plastic handles and trim. My second Mk1 developed one rattle in the glove box after about 30,000 miles. I guess not many Mk2s have reached this mileage yet. The heater controls (new Climatronic vs. old A/C) are a bit better but the net result is much the same. The stereo is much better, but that should always be the case in any new model.

Also, the rear discs on the VRS and other Mk1's do suffer from premature rot because the do bugger all especially on the nose heavy VRS.

Not a sign of rot on my two Mk1s over a combined 6 years. Of course, they do relatively little work if you brake really hard. I don't often do that. Otherwise, they get their share of use.

Totally agree with the previous post. I've already mentioned the pseudo metal handles that are light years behind in terms of quality that of a MK1. The glove box seems bigger in a MK2 but I find I have no room for the handbook pack if I keep a pouch of cd's in there. :mad: The sun visors actually cover about a 3rd of the screen each with a big gap in the middle, although the drivers visor does now contain a mirror. Whoopee! I haven't found climatronic any better thus far (1200 miles in 10 days) but really do appreciate the sun glasses holder:thumbup: My old VRS SE (767) sold for 12K with 14.5K on the clock. Incredible :eek:

Well, having sung the praises of my beloved Mk1 2.0i over the last few weeks, this evening some drunk smashed into it while it was parked. It looks like the rear column has folded and it may be a write-off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21259&stc=1&d=1209508412

I hope they can repair it. Otherwise, what would the insurance company give me for a 3 year old, 36,000 miles, single owner Mk1 2.0i? Do I go for a Mk2 or look around for something a bit more inspiring?

21259.attach

Shocking. I never wanted a car with heated seats. But I've got them on my MK1 Elegance so to lose them if I trade it in for a MK2 3 would be rubbish. Has the MK2 3 got a CD player or does it have a cassette player in it?*

*Just kidding

Edit: I buy nearly new, of course. 13k is a bit rich for my blood. Not that it isn't decent value.

See, I found the heater controls awful to use in my Mk1. Call me strange but I didn't like taking my eyes totally off the road to change the temp.

Everything rattled and fell apart (Glove box, door cards, underdash trim, boot trim etc), both door handles ended up loose (Had to go into the dealer twice for this) and it leaked....

Still I suppose it's horses for courses. My Roomy has now done 15k in the last 6 months, hasn't missed a beat and only has one rattle (This is attached to the baby in the back...)

BTW, bad luck on the 2.0i TBH your not going to get the same out of a MK2, it's a different animal. You could try a Bora with the same engine?