How noisy is the 1.9TDi?

Quick question for all you lucky 1.9TDi owners:

How noisy is the engine when compared to the MK1 Fabia? I am thinking of swapping my '05 vRS for a new shape Sport (0% finance is not to be sniffed at) but have read a few things about the engines being loud. My vRS is not particulary peaceful round town but on the motorway is fairly silent, mostly due to the six gear I would imagine. Is the 5-speed 1.9 Sport quiet at speed or not? Do you miss the sixth gear?

I have done over 52,000 miles in my vRS from new and really love its blend of perkyness and quiet on the motorway (if you ignore the tyre noise). I see no point in swapping it for something not as good.

On a posing note, do you get the flip-out key with the Sport model or not?

Cheers

I don't find the 1.9TDi any noisier than my VRS. I don't miss 6th gear either. You do get a flip key with a sport. One 'must have' is the Maxidot display, this has an engine temp gauge that the standard dashboard hasn't. Check it out for yourself. I think it's the best feature on my '3'.

Cheers for the info folks.

A few people have mentioned on here the crappy plastic door handles (they will annoy me) and a few other areas where it doesn't appear to be as good as the old model. I would probably miss the puddle lights on the doors too. It is much roomier though and I do need a bit more space over my vRS but am loathed to go to another manufacturer for it. An Octavia is too big (won't fit in the garage).

Just one more thing: is 135hp as far as you can easily go on the Sport model without upgrading everything? I would want to keep it as standard as possible.

I would say 145bhp is possible without any real problems - just be careful on the clutch!!! Anymore than this would require new infectors PD130 injectors or better and probably a new turbo, maybe a Garrett GT1749v and an uprated clutch!!

So yes 135-145 is perfectly reasonable as long as the torque is not too extreme, i.e. no more than 250Ibs/ft!!

Mark:thumbup:

I believe I meant 'injectors' in the above post, as opposed to the infectors that I have written. I would say that 'infectors' are a bad idea for any car!!! :rofl:

May be suitable for a buggy, though.

Are the brakes up to scratch on this new Fabia then? I know that on the old shape vRS many folks complained about the brakes (I agree they're not the best) especially when more power is added. Do you get drums at the back or discs?

Quick question for all you lucky 1.9TDi owners:

How noisy is the engine when compared to the MK1 Fabia? I am thinking of swapping my '05 vRS for a new shape Sport (0% finance is not to be sniffed at) but have read a few things about the engines being loud. My vRS is not particulary peaceful round town but on the motorway is fairly silent, mostly due to the six gear I would imagine. Is the 5-speed 1.9 Sport quiet at speed or not? Do you miss the sixth gear?

I have done over 52,000 miles in my vRS from new and really love its blend of perkyness and quiet on the motorway (if you ignore the tyre noise). I see no point in swapping it for something not as good.

On a posing note, do you get the flip-out key with the Sport model or not?

Cheers

Stick with your VRs or wait for the new VRs due in 2009. The noise is the one thing that bugs me with the 1.9tdi 5 speed. The Fabia VRs has much better NVH levels, especially at cruising speeds.

Des

Sport is quiet a motorway speeds and emits a saitisfying growl on acceleration.

The seats and interior are leagues ahead of the mark 1 Vrs & the smoked rear glass does cool the car in more ways than one. try a red one - it looks great

I test drove one before settling on the 1.4. I had no problems with noise and it certainly went well. Black isn't it's best colour though IMHO.

One thing I did appear to notice was more 'pitch' over uneven surfaces. Anything to do with heavier engine or just my imagination?

flippy keys come on al the cars I think? I am driivng a pretty low trim level fabia 1 and that has the flippy keys.

Thanks for the replies guys. The racket made by this engine does appear to vary considerably depending on what it's in. One review I read of the Golf with PD engine was that is was noisy and unrefined and you were better off with the petrol model. You would have thought that a Golf would be quieter than a Fabia.

Flippy keys all round then? I remember in '97 when my mate's dad had a new company Passat with this flippy key and we were all amazed by it. What amuses me is that I know a guy with a BMW 645 and that just has a normal boring key! You would expect some real flashy item with a motor like that, but I suppose that's BMW for you.