Columbus: Phone via Bluetooth stopped working

Since a week I'm the proud owner of a brand new Superb Combi Elegance. It has a factory fitted Columbus system, including Bluetooth. Yesterday, on my way home, I made a couple of calls which worked perfectly. Later that night I had to make a long trip. When I was looking in the menu of the maxi-dot display, I noticed something was missing, but I couldn't tell what. In the Settings menu of Columbus I had the same feeling. When I wanted to make a call, I noticed: the Phone menu was missing from the maxi-dot display and the Phone settings button has disappeared from the Settings menu on the Columbus.

• Pressing the Phone button on the Columbus simply mutes the sound and displays a mute symbol. The Phone interface doesn't pop up.
  • My iPhone doesn't connect to the Columbus anymore and the car doesn't give any feedback about being connected to the phone.
  • I've tried a reset with < > and the button top right, which rebooted the device, but did not provide a solution.

What has happend? How can I solve this?

Regards

Bram

Edited by Brammeke

Since a week I'm the proud owner of a brand new Superb Combi Elegance. It has a factory fitted Columbus system, including Bluetooth. Yesterday, on my way home, I made a couple of calls which worked perfectly. Later that night I had to make a long trip. When I was looking in the menu of the maxi-dot display, I noticed something was missing, but I couldn't tell what. In the Settings menu of Columbus I had the same feeling. When I wanted to make a call, I noticed: the Phone menu was missing from the maxi-dot display and the Phone settings button has disappeared from the Settings menu on the Columbus.

• Pressing the Phone button on the Columbus simply mutes the sound and displays a mute symbol. The Phone interface doesn't pop up.
  • My iPhone doesn't connect to the Columbus anymore and the car doesn't give any feedback about being connected to the phone.
  • I've tried a reset with < > and the button top right, which rebooted the device, but did not provide a solution.

What has happend? How can I solve this?

Regards

Bram

Have you tried to resart the iPhone? also try to search for the Columbus again from the iPhone.

Go into the setup menu on the Columbus and restore the telephone to factory settings, delete the pairing from the iphone (forget this device) and reboot it fully. Try re pairing the phone and car again.

My iPhone and Superb really don't get on at all, I recently restored the iOS on the iPhone and it seems to be more stable now.

The bluetooth module is under the driver's seat - on right hand drive models at least - and is hidden by a plastic cover, I lifted the cover and unplugged it for a short while. Also check to ensure the module hasn't become unplugged accidentally, it shouldn't do as it has a retention clip but if not plugged in properly it can come out.

Go into the setup menu on the Columbus and restore the telephone to factory settings, delete the pairing from the iphone (forget this device) and reboot it fully. Try re pairing the phone and car again.

Thank you, this worked. :thumbup:

Best regards

Bram

A result emoticon-0148-yes.gif

iPhone and Superb really don't like each other. I hope the iPhone 5 is better as that will most likely be my next handset emoticon-0124-worried.gif

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem twice now. I was able to solve it by removing one or two fuses (in the cockpit, not in the engine area), plugging them in again, close the vehicle with the key, reopen and retry. I should have the problem a third time to determine exactly which fuse it is :-)

A small disadvantage is that I also had to reset the time and the counters (average consumption and the like) were reset to 0.

I did not have to re-pair my phone. Luckily, because that lasted over half an hour last time before it had taken over all my contact data.

I have an old smartphone with Windows Mobile 6 and my wife has a simple Nokia, so it has nothing to do with your iPhone.

Next time I think I will first try to localize the bluetooth module under the driver's seat and unplug that. I suppose it's that one which gets stuck and is reset by unplugging the fuse.

Funny thIng is that I had it for the second time last weekend. Dealer will replace the Bluetooth module. In the meanwhile he showed me that unplugging the module under the passenger seat is indeed the way to go. Doesn't reset the counters. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

That's good to know, Bram. If it happens to me again I know it's an existing problem and at least one dealer is prepared to do something about it ...

I have had the exact problem with my month old Superb--dealer fitted a new module.

He did say they were having problems with HTC, I Phone and Blackberry, and it was happening on VW and merc.

He maintained it was caused by receiving Emails while on bluetooth and filling up the memory !!