New 1.8SE Estate, thoughts & pics

Picked up my new 1.8SE Estate in Steel Grey with sunset glass and Bluetooth prep last week – sadly it was raining when I picked it up, so it was filthy by the time I’d driven 15 miles home from the dealership.

Gave it a quick wash today, and thought I’d take a few quick snaps while it was still new and drop a few thoughts down....

The first week has been excellent, I’ve only had to make fairly short journeys, but am really impressed with the improvements over my previous Octavia (07 1.6 Elegance Estate) – it’s much more refined and quiet to drive, and just feels classier in every respect...it's SO quiet in comparison, am having to check speed carefully in 30s and 40s, as I was so used to the noise in the Octavia I obviously used this as a way of judging speed.

I certainly won’t miss the automatic wipers on the Octavia, but I will probably miss the auto dimming rv mirror as I’d got used to not worrying about it.

Not sure the front seats are as good as the Octavia, they were excellent (best/most supportive seats on any car I've had including Audi, VW, Ford), but after a 100 or so miles, the Superb seats aren't quite as supportive.

I would have never chosen Bluetooth or sunset glass as options, but got these for next to nothing as the car was already built and waiting at Emden to be shipped out (told the dealer I would buy the car, but didn’t want the extras – we came to an agreement where I paid £12 for them both!).

I really like the bluetooth prep and although it took a while to get the procedure correct for connecting my Blackberry 9780, it connects first time every time now (secret is to wait until it says no phone available, and THEN switch Bluetooth on the phone on), it finds it straight away.

It’s only done short runs to the school run so far and MPG is at 35 which is not far off what the Octavia did just on short runs, so I expect it will average out at 41-42 on more sensible use.

Really pleased with the colour – they had three identical cars to choose from when I ordered the car, they were Steel Grey, Black, and Silver…went for the one that Mrs Chucker wanted and am glad I did. Suits the car well and depending on the light can vary from light grey to almost the colour of our previous Skoda (Anthracite).

Can’t see me moving away from Skoda in the near future, I loved the Octavia and this is even better – it’s certainly quite a difference in comfort levels when I drive my wife’s Fiat 500, which in comparison is very rough and ready (although much easier to park!)

superb1.jpg

superb2.jpg

superb3.jpg

superb4.jpg

superb5.jpg

• Like 1

Happy new car...!!

Looking good. My steel grey Elegance estate is making its way from the factory at the moment, so it's nice to see another looking so good. The sunset glass looks good too, some people say they can hardly tell the difference, but it looks good on yours so hopefully mine will be just the same.

Does yours not have a chrome strip on the lower door panels...?

Looks nice! Whereabouts in Shrops are you from - i work around Telford and your street looks familiar :S

Happy new car...!!

Looking good. My steel grey Elegance estate is making its way from the factory at the moment, so it's nice to see another looking so good. The sunset glass looks good too, some people say they can hardly tell the difference, but it looks good on yours so hopefully mine will be just the same.

Does yours not have a chrome strip on the lower door panels...?

No chrome strip as it's an SE rather than an Elegance - didn't really want full leather (had it before and wasn't a big fan), and don't need sat nav, so it was the sensible choice and saved me £3K and a long wait for a build.

Based near to Shrewsbury, I guess modern housing estates all look the same!

Lovely car and colour have to say! And with that registration I bet his name is Dulge? Though from one angle on the photos with the plate screw where it is, it looks more like Bulge!

Lovely car and colour have to say! And with that registration I bet his name is Dulge? Though from one angle on the photos with the plate screw where it is, it looks more like Bulge!

I knew it was going to be a DU11 (or DULL as it looks on the plate) as that's what they had on the system, there wasn't much to choose from when I looked at the available regs, but I wanted to check that I didn't get DULL ARD!

nice to read you report

I have also collected my Estate last tuesday (second hand), been working in it for a week now. Very pleased with it indeed.

Love your colour, I have the Silver colour, it shows the dirt quite a bit already had to wash it twice in a week and its been sunny.

I cannot understand why somebody would trade in a 8 month old skoda superb estate ---- WHY

Thanks Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great. I love the steel grey paint.

Enjoy, Phil.

Looks fab, i'm picking up one in 2 weeks, black in colour, hope it doesn't look too hearse like lol

• 7 months later...

Looks very nice in your colour , I have just ordered the estate SE 1.8 TSI 4X4". Dealer said delivey will be around June/July.I will just have to be patient, lead time is mainly due 4X4 option. I have the Ovtavia Scout at present, so it makes the wait bearable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Snap! I have the same car - 1.8TSi SE Estate in steel grey. Have you considered improving what is a great car into literally a superb one? (Sorry about the pun!).

I found the ride a bit choppy around town and on the open road it wallowed over some of the undulations on A & B roads.

So I did a bit of research and the first thing I did was to have some Eibach springs fitted which massively improved the car's handling and actucally improved the quality of the ride. The car now rides 30mm lower and on the faster twistier roads it's totally composed, even when pushed hard. Around town it is as smooth as ever with no 'crash' or bash' as you might expect from uprated springs. The springs are progressively wound so they suit both slow and higher speed driving. You'd think there would be some drawbacks in the ride but I can find any!

The second upgrade was to have an expert write a new map for the ECU. A highly recommended mobile engine tuner came to my house and did his magic. This has significantly improved the cars performance as well as giving a much better mpg. The car now has 200hp and more than 30% extra torque, with the turbo coming in at 1200 revs rather than 1400-1500. This isn't your boy-racer chip tune that will eventually damage the engine but a more conservative re-map that removes the restrictive factory engine settings. I now average 35mpg around town and 43mpg on longer journeys. I have even got as average of 51mpg driving to work between 40 & 50 mph (40 min journey, starting from cold).

Costs? The Eibach springs were £375 fitted, incl VAT. Eibach (Germany) produce arguably the best after-market springs. The re-map was vey professionally done by V12 Chip Tuning from Manchester, costing £300.

The end result is an all round car that is about as good as it gets for around £20K (in 2011).

I'm awaiting delivery on my Superb 1.8TSi DSG Elegance Estate, in the same grey.

Thanks for the pictures. I am 45, married with 2 kids, responsible job etc etc but still have borrowed one as my phone's wallpaper. The waiting is killing me, or have I just become very sad?.

Originally going to go for an Octavia, but loved the quality and feel of the superb. Couldn't believe I could afford a new car of such class.

Funny to relate (and probably carefully calculated) but one of the things that helped persuade me to pay the extra where the little gizmos in the boot, the removable torch and bag hooks. My kids loved them too, and would only compare cars based on these, well, fripperies. I loved the car first and foremost; size, drive, gadgets, looks, cost etc. but it's these little details that helped push me into a decision. Manufacturers know it's all in the detail, I'm sure many cup-holders have sold cars.

I'm awaiting delivery on my Superb 1.8TSi DSG Elegance Estate, in the same grey.

Thanks for the pictures. I am 45, married with 2 kids, responsible job etc etc but still have borrowed one as my phone's wallpaper. The waiting is killing me, or have I just become very sad?.

Originally going to go for an Octavia, but loved the quality and feel of the superb. Couldn't believe I could afford a new car of such class.

Funny to relate (and probably carefully calculated) but one of the things that helped persuade me to pay the extra where the little gizmos in the boot, the removable torch and bag hooks. My kids loved them too, and would only compare cars based on these, well, fripperies. I loved the car first and foremost; size, drive, gadgets, looks, cost etc. but it's these little details that helped push me into a decision. Manufacturers know it's all in the detail, I'm sure many cup-holders have sold cars.

2 days ago I traded in this car for a new Yeti Elegance.

Have loved every minute of driving and owning the car, and it's been a really classy car to live with for a couple of years, effortless at transporting the family around and the best and safest car for motorway driving I've ever owned.

Absolutely no complaints with it at all, and I can see me coming back to one at some point down the line.

As for gadgets, our boys loved the fact the umbrella was there (never used it!) , plus their clock and temp gauge in the back and are already sad that the don't have them in the Yeti; what they do get is reclining seats, so it means late night drives home from seeing family up North will be easier for us all!

Hope you enjoy your Superb, the waiting is half the fun (as long as it's not 3-4 months or longer and then it becomes a bit of a chore!)

• 6 months later...

Not to be a grumpyguts (beautiful car above!) but why is this a sticky in the forum? I already have to scroll through too many stickies and this thread wouldn't seem to be so particularly newsworthy as to make it headline reading for all visitors to the forum.  Especially as the OP no longer has the car in question.

• Like 1