Window regulator- How do you fix yours?

Hi All,

I've managed to so far DIY fix my window thanks to jamming it in place but the drivers side window needs fixing now.

From a bit of research it seems to be the plastic clips that break with a rare chance the cables also fray.

It seems that the only fix are cheap £20 eBay kits or a whole new window regulator assembly around the £70-80 mark.

Take it to a dealer and the cost seems to run into close to £150-200 with labour. Something that's quite frankly ludicrous considering it's a faulty part on all VAG cars!

I notice that VW do metal clips for the golf mkiv and boras but it's my understanding these parts do not fit the Octavia.

So who has the cheap eBay jobs and have they lasted!?

If not what lengths did you go to in order to have a working window?!

I'm loathed to pay anyone to fix this as ill gladly save labour and do it myself.....

• 3 months later...

When the clips broke on mine, I simply recycled the clips from another regulator on which the cable had snapped but the clips were still good. The hardest part was refitting the bit with the spring to the slot where it was taken from. I was surprised how easy it was to fix as well.

Its not too hard, my passenger side went a month or so back. bought an ECP replacement.

steps go along these lines - helpfully without pictures.

1. remove door card - TRX screws round the edge, (rubbish) screw behind door handle, two bolts behind arm rest thing, window controls need prying off (gently) and unplugging, electric window control pryed out and unplugged, both speakers need removing too.
  2. unlatch the door cable and 'remove' the door card. i find this anywhere from easy to brutal.... but its not damaged yet.
  3. remove any weather proofing (mine was just an outline and tape - i replaced with some new polythene gardening sheet cut to fit)
  4. move the window down until you can see both bolts that clamp the glass to the carrier and unbolt
  5. you can then remove the glass carefully (if possible work out how to mark it to re-align on re-assembly)
  6. unplug the motor (its a weird sort of latch that levers out and disconnects the plug)
  7. un bolt the 6 (i think + or - one) bolts that hold the upper and lower 'uprights' of the reg and the motor inplace
  8. the whole thing then comes out with some careful maneuvering.
  9. the motor can be uncoupled and the new reg put inplace and reattached to motor.
  10. once its out its quite easy to see how it all works

then just go in reverse and refit the whole thing. i found getting the bolts to got back in isn't as easy as getting them out but is do-able. make sure it works (without complaint) then refit the glass and clamp back into place. took me knowing nothing about two hours but i didn't fit the glass exactly so had to rejig it a bit. probably do it all in less than an hour if done before. i should have taken photos...

drivers side is more work because the door card is more involved.

this relates to the 1.6 NOT VRs (i don't know if there is a difference between the pedestrian and hoodlum octavia)

hope that helps

• Like 2