My 2.0 TSI VRS - Sh@rk Stage 2

D@z

Heres my little project, using this to keep track of my car and what Im doing with it, having had an Octavia Mk2 TDI Elegance previously which I had modified, (see the bottom of this thread)
I have a fairly good idea what to expect and what I would like from my VRS, and hope to document most of the goings on in my new cars life as I go along. Its always nice to have a record, and is something I regret not doing properly for my previous cars, so here she is!

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI (IHI Turbo)
197 bhp / 207lbft
Candy White

First week I had the car:

blogpic.jpg

Standard Equipment:

18" Standard Neptune Alloys
Manual Transmission
Maxidot
Rear Parking Sensors
Auto / Coming Home Lights
Auto Dimming Mirror

Installed and/or retrofitted:

Interior:

OEM 'Columbus' touch screen Nav system
OEM W8/Superb Interior light in black
OEM L&K illuminated door handles

OEM Audi S-Line Gearknob
All Inerior bulbs replaced with Fizzmo LEDs
VRS Seat Inserts

Rear Sill Protectors (to match standard fronts)
Digital MPH & Navigation enabled on Maxidot
Bluetooth OBD connector + Torque for Android

Exterior:

OEM New Style Skoda badges front and rear
MTEC 4750k Headlight bulbs
EM tuning White rear number plate bulbs
Colour coded grill surround
Superskoda honeycomb grill insert

Wheels, Brakes and Supension:

Team Dynamics Monza R in Satin Black 18x7.5 ET37
Haida 225/40/18 Tyres

Weitec Ultra GT Dampers
Weitec Ultra GT Springs
Porsche 4 Pot Calipers (NQSBBK)
Porsche Pads
HEL Braided brake lines
Audi S3 Consoles & Bushes
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Anti Roll Bar

OEM Neptunes 18x7.5(Winter)
Kumho KW27 Winter tyres (Winter)

OEM Wheel Nut Covers (Winter)
FK 10mm Spacers (Winter)

Engine/ Tuning:

Shark Perfomance Remap Stage 1 - 250bhp
AI Autosport Rolling Road Day – 260bhp

Shark Perfomance Remap Stage 2 - circa 280bhp
Autotune Rolling Road– 295bhp

Milltek Cat Back Exhaust System – Resonated
Milltek Down Pipe and High Flow Sports Cat
OEM Audi TTS/S3 Intercooler
APR Carbonio Stage 1 &2 intake system
THS Performance Engine Mount

THS Performance Transmission Mount
Neuspeed Torque Arm insert
OEM revision G Diverter Valve
OEM Audi TTS/S3 Short Shifter

Mods to come:

DaveB rear brake caliper upgrade
42DD Shifter bushes
H&R Monotubes
S3/Cupra Top Mounts
Superpro bushes,arms
K04 Turbo Conversion
Sachs performance clutch

Pics:

APR Carboniio Stage 1 & 2 Induction kit fitted:

2012-02-24144504.jpg

Full Turbo Back Milltek Resonated exhaust fitted (before cleaning, lol)

2012-02-24144409.jpg

Whiteline RARB fitted:

2011-12-14173346.jpg

HEL Brake lines:

2011-12-14150633.jpg

Suspension and NQSBBK going on:

2011-12-14125016.jpg

2011-12-14125011.jpg

2011-12-14150627.jpg

Stock Neptunes wouldnt fit! good thing my mate had these lying around! Genuine Porsche rims!:

2011-12-14151017.jpg

Plan B: 18" Zeniths and NQSBBK Porsche setup fitted (sorry had been washed the day before so rusty discs!)

2012-02-24144422.jpg

All fitted, back home and washed:

washed.jpg

2012-02-24144012.jpg

2012-02-24153228.jpg

Had 19" BBS CH for a while:

newtj.jpg

Switched to 18" Team Dynamics:

20130517_103804_zps3a9c75ed.jpg

Winter Mode:

washed11_zps22c59a30.jpg

Had the car on the local RR recently, now that Im running full Stage 2 hardware, this is from the 3rd run, we forgot to turn off AC etc on the first 2, lol. Still very happy with the results from stock turbo:

Stage2Roll_zps249e2696.jpg

Fails:

Things that have gone wrong or not worked out to plan, happens to everyone, but hopefully by documenting here, no one else will have it happen to them!

Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Insert - http://www.awesome-g...=36768&xSec=312 pre FL VRS one doesnt fit! you need the MK6 GTI one for the FL TSI - http://www.awesome-g...=13850&xSec=312

LED numberplate bulbs - even "canbus friendly" bulbs from Ebay are a no go on the FL

18" Neptune brake clearance - got the NQSBBK from DaveB only to discover that the stock FL VRS rims will not clear them even with a 6mm spacer! thankfully I had a spare set of OEM Zeniths which do with no spacer. Im now going to have to buy a full set of spacers all round in order to use the Neptunes, 10mm hubcentric ones do the trick.

SuperSkoda - Sent me completely faulty moulded honeycomb grill, refused to refund or replace it, and were generally horrible to deal with, AVOID!
check out the moulding and "OEM Finish" here, the issue was never resolved and Ive been left with an item I have to rework and pay for repairing:

2011-09-03130847.jpg

My last Octavia:

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Elegance (PD 140)
140 bhp / 236lbft
Graphite Grey

Standard Equipment:

17" Pegasus Alloys
"Sport" suspension
Manual Transmission

Installed and/or retrofitted:

Interior:

Zenec MC-5600 touchscreen stereo
OEM VRS Pedals
Aluminium Climatonic rings
Bluetooth OBD connector + Torque for Android

Exterior:

Philips Bluevision Headlight bulbs
Philips Bluevision Sidelight bulbs
OEM Colour coded grill surround
OEM 'Sport' rear lip spoiler
OEM 'Sport' front splitter
OEM 'Sport' rear splitter
OEM 'Sport' twin pipes
OEM 'Mlada Boleslav' plate holders
Dubmeister pressed plates

Wheels, Brakes and Supension:

OEM "Zenith" 18x7.5 ET51
Kumho 225/40/18 Tyres
Eibach Pro Dampers
Eibach Pro Springs
OEM VRS Front and rear brakes
Black wheel nut covers

Engine/ Tuning:

Torquetronix Custom map - 191hp/322lbft
K&N K57I intake system
OEM Audi TTS/S3 Short Shifter

Rolling Road:
Powergraph.jpg

Interior:
2010-10-12142624.jpg

Exterior:
normal_dsc00061.jpg

Edited by D@z
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Im really behind on Updates, I havent actually fitted the Coded Grill yet, although that should happen next week! and as for Bulbs, I have another solution thats much simpler, info next week (im on hols, lol)

Updated today, some more pics I had on my phone!

still got a few more bits to update and pics to take though, sorry if the quality is not up to much, im not much of a photographer and only using my phone, lol

also updated my Fails section with a bit about the brake clearance issue I had with the NQSBBK!

and I have a suspected Fail to add which I think is my Diverter Valve which seems to have commited suicide due to the extra grunt from Stage 2!

Edited by daz_pd

Love the colour of the car. white really suits it.

Not a huge fan of the power/torque curve though. Looks very aggressive low down and tails off at the top end. Thats a 20hp drop between 5250-6000rpm!! EGTs getting to high maybe? The AFR plot would show that id imagine.

The ones i have seen normally pull in a lovely plateau of power to the redline. I like the power curves of Ian and carls car more tbh. Less power but much more progressive.

What rollers are you going to get the car tested on for the stage 2? I reckon stage 2 would solve the power drop at the top end nicely

its a 10HP drop, not that bad, lol, its a little off down low as we think there was movement on the rollers as my car was perhaps not as well secured as it should have been, been stage 2 now about a week and feels better, unfortunately the Rollers I originally went too have now closed up shop, so Im going to have to go to a different set, although there is one well known for being accurate nearby that I can get to, by the way here is the AFR recorded at the time I had the car on the RR:

20TSI_AFR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks Wardy, Im quite partial to them too, my only problem is that they dont fill the arches as much as I would like, looking at a set of 19s at the moment.....

Yeah, they do need spacers on the standard wheels IMO.

Also, earlier on in your thread, you mention tweaking the XDS to 'Rocco R values. You got a link to the info on that? Interested to see what the difference in XDS coding is, between an FL vRS and the more 'extreme' VAG products...

Yeah, they do need spacers on the standard wheels IMO.

Also, earlier on in your thread, you mention tweaking the XDS to 'Rocco R values. You got a link to the info on that? Interested to see what the difference in XDS coding is, between an FL vRS and the more 'extreme' VAG products...

Steve,

On the vRS the values for the XDS are already set to maximum. It's only the Fabia vRS that had lower settings.

Thanks Carl.

Was actually wondering for my friend's ED35. So the Octy uses the same values as the 'R' VWs? Good to know :)

Yup.

I got told about it and when i looked it was alredy set at maximum settings. A couple of other Octy vRS' i've looked at are also the same.

It does however make a big improvement, i'm led to believe, on the Fabia

yeah, went to my mates to use his VCDS, and wasnt sure if the garage had changed it, so thought I would list it anyway, makes more sense to the golf boys as AFAIK, they only get the lower setting and have to change to setting 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, sorry bit of a dodgy quality pic from my phone, had thought about black mirrors, but then not sure if it would work without some black along the front, and I think the FL grill is too big to have dark...