My 2.0 TSI VRS - Sh@rk Stage 2

D@z

Awesome..... I do like white mk2s so much ;)

Huge fan of the wheels :D ( et50 then, or are they the CH-R ? I cant see the details on my phone )

It was my plan to swap to a white mk2 estate, hence why mine are the 5x112 too lol

I shall keep

A nose on this mate :)

I see the whiteline is a much better fit on the mk2 too

Keep up the good work dude - love it

Have you fitted the rear sill protectors yet. Of so where did you get them from? Those wheels look great really finish it off

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - you've gone for 225's rather than 235's on your 19"s - any reason for this? What's the clearance like?

The Kumho's are load rating 88Y according to the "mytyres" web site - OE 18" are load rated at 92Y. Did you have any problems with the insurers on that change?

Reason I'm asking, I've got my eye on a set of 19"s for the new car, same width as yours but I'm thinking of going for the 235's to get the higher load rating to match the OE tyre, plus more rubber on the road will help with traction..

Hey all, thanks for your comments, Ive been a little busy recently so havent had time to reply, so here comes a Multiquote moment!

where did you order the carbonio intake from

got it from Awesome GTI mate.

Have you fitted the rear sill protectors yet. Of so where did you get them from? Those wheels look great really finish it off

Yep, one of my first mods actually, I had purchased a full sill protector kit from Skoda, then taken the rears from that, I just sold on the fronts as the VRS has them standard.

Quick question - you've gone for 225's rather than 235's on your 19"s - any reason for this? What's the clearance like?

The Kumho's are load rating 88Y according to the "mytyres" web site - OE 18" are load rated at 92Y. Did you have any problems with the insurers on that change?

Reason I'm asking, I've got my eye on a set of 19"s for the new car, same width as yours but I'm thinking of going for the 235's to get the higher load rating to match the OE tyre, plus more rubber on the road will help with traction..

Hey Rob, the reason I went 225 is that (imho) it looks a little better, with a little stretch, also I thought that 235 would cause extra drag/roadnoise over the 225, I dont find traction to be much of an issue unless I drive like an idiot or the roads are greasy tbh. with regards the load rating, 88w is perfectly safe with regards to both weight and speed (dont think I can do 168, but havent tried, lol) in terms of insurance, I must confess thats something Im not sure about, when they were notified I simply told them that I had fitted a bigger set of rims/tyres and they just charged accordingly....

I could be wrong but Insurance companies love to find loopholes to avoid paying out so it is quite possible that if the speed & load rating are not at least equal to standard, you could be in the mire. :nerd:

I was of the same opinion until I read this... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/3013/made Section 16 tyres, about half way down the page. It doesnt matter if they are not the same ratings as supplied with the car, as long as they are in line with the legislation you are fine.

Speed rating -

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

Load rating -

6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that, when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

Worthy of note on winter tyres the speed rating above does not apply if the vehicle has an audible warning set for the speed rating of the winter tyre. Cant find the link but will keep hunting the bookmarks...

6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that, when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

Ok, so without looking up the maximum axle weights for a vrs I'd hazard a guess that skoda would not have gone to the additional expense of the higher load rated tyre unless it was necessary to comply with the prevailing legislation.

Question is, is that quote something that the manufacturers have to comply with, or is it something that needs to be maintained by the owner?

• Like 1

Rob, I think you would be right. They will take the weight distribution at full load and spec the nect load rating above.

That is legislation for owners to comply with...

Manufactures will comply with it for type approval in the uk/European legislation.

On a side note, I found some Intersting info on tyre (some not wild :) )stretch. Basically if you want stretched tyres legally, you can only get Falken as they are the only manufacturer to endorse wider rim width for tyre width.

Edited by TBM

not much happening with me at the moment, funds are light due to upcoming holidays etc!

although in the meantime, I do have a bust shock thats being replaced and full alignment done all round. then I should hopefully have the TTS/S3 Intercooler fitted.

still after a W8 Interior light right enough, but its not a priority really, I would then like to get down to a RR and see what Im making, as I have a funny feeling I may need a clutch before long....

Edited by daz_pd

• 1 month later...

just a small update, my tame technician replaced my shock for me yesterday and fitted my S3 Intercooler for me (pics to follow), only had a chance to drive it home so cant report too much, although based on an unadapted pull I noticed the car pulled smoother and felt more powerful throughout the range on the bum dyno, going to reset the ECU today and then let it re-adapt...

Have been looking into better mounts as the engine rocks about way to much IMO, so that may be the next mod :-)

Edited by daz_pd

Ok, so without looking up the maximum axle weights for a vrs I'd hazard a guess that skoda would not have gone to the additional expense of the higher load rated tyre unless it was necessary to comply with the prevailing legislation.

Question is, is that quote something that the manufacturers have to comply with, or is it something that needs to be maintained by the owner?

Just on the tyre issue and load ratings - 88 equals 560kg per tyre. 92 is 630kg. Handy list here: http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

Octy axle weights are listed on the passenger door jamb. My axle weights are 1100kg per axle IIRC (this will differ on petrol and diesel models, so you petrol boys may run lighter). So running an 88 speed rated tyre will be within limits.... just :)

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

OK, so its been a while! since my last update, I finally managed to get to a Rolling Road, and I must say Im pleased with the result, this is a local, independant tuner and had no reason to manipulate figures. Obviously there will be doubters out there, but I can only base on my own experience currently, at least until I can get to a Rolling Road day with others.

It was 14.5 Degrees out and fairly wet, I thought this to be a fairly accurate representation of our weather, lol.

I am Shark Performance Stage 2, 2.0 TSI with full Stage 2 Hardware (check my blog for details) and running 97 Ron Super Unleaded

we did 3 runs (run 1&2 were slightly less by a few bhp, then we remembered to turn off the AC etc), and this is the result from the final run (295HP & 331LBFT, with healthy "under the curve" figures):

Stage2RR_zps66329d85.jpg

annoyingly I still have a rumble/rattle from my front passengers side (mainly I think), ever since I smacked that pothole its been there, I still have not had an chance to get it looked at properly, but nothing seemed wrong/loose when the shock was being replaced, this rumbling occurs on small sharp bumps, regardless of speed, it rumbles more noticeably when reversing slowly out of my drive in the morning for example, and I can actually feel it faintly through the steering wheel. Anyone have any suggestions? I had assumed the rumbling was the failed shock, but it has since been replaced!

• 1 month later...

OK so I havent updated in a while, yet to get to the bottom of the knocking sound, but I havent had the car with a mechanic yet!

after hitting black ice the other morning and finding myself in the verge (no damage thankfully) I decided it best to switch to winter mode.

so now back on Neptunes with winter tyres fitted (ouch they are expensive in 18 inch) with 10mm FK spacers on the front to clear Porsche calipers, I bought them for the rear too, but they dont fit, so are going back!

Ive also decided to fiddle about with the interior lights, so on order are:

Boldsport OEM footwell lights kit front and rear

and bunch of LEDs for interior

oh, and cause I cant leave performance alone: Aspec Hi flow air charge pipe and turbo discharge pipe conversion kit

now trying to decide whether to get uprated mounts next or S3 rear brakes to compliment my NQSBBK

yeah I was a bit gutted, as Id rather not use spacers, but needs must!

think it would definitely help braking performance, the FL VRS has slightly smaller discs at the rear, cant recall right now, but I think they are 256mm. Currently the NQSBBK does overpower them a little, so the S3 rears would balance that out nicely. I just missed a set a little while ago on the MK5GTI forum sadly!

• Like 1