retro-fit MDI

HI all after some quick advise,, would this be all i would need to retro-fit mdi into my pre-fl octavia,, i have a columbus fitted,,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS510-MFD-SKODA-Columbus-MDI-AMI-MediaIn-Media-IN-USB-MP3-5N0035342-/180729978836?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2a14589fd4

thanks..

Yep, those are all the bits. You'd need an iPod connection cable if you wanted to use one instead of a USB stick or USB hard drive.

But that's a good price for everything.

You might possibly need some VCDS coding after it's gone in too, so the Columbus know it's fitted.

Not seen them that cheap before either.

Checked through the listing and it all checks out. They're also a reputable seller and quite a few people on here and other VAG forums have used them, for CAN gateways and the like. I've used them before and would recommend them - pretty quick delivery too.

• 1 month later...

Having seen this post I bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200657168806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

from the same ebay seller as the one linked above.

I can report that it has gone in and works well with my Iphone 4

Only problems I have had are the CD changer option no longer appears on the Columbus (Not to worried on this as with the Columbus and MDI I doubt I will want to play to many CD's but I don't like to leave things not working).

And the Aux in option has disapeared from the Columbus, which is more annoying as I have an aftermarket DAB plugged into this which I can no longer use.

I have checked the coding and all seems OK.

Is it expected to loose the CD Changer and Aux in when fitting an MDI? or can anyone point me to what I may have done wrong.

Many thanks,

And.

Having retrofitted an MDI to the Bolero headunit on my 2010 vRS, can confirm that if the MDI is in use then you lose AUX In - the only option you might have is to purchase an MDI cable which matches your DAB unit and swap between iphone and DAB.

Thanks for that guys, I will get the MDI to 3.5mm cable ordered from ebay.

styler67 thanks for pointing out that I should have looked into this more before purchasing :think: :rofl:

If the only difference is the wiring, may be worth checking to see if the supplier would be willing to exchange the wiring loom?

If the only difference is the wiring, may be worth checking to see if the supplier would be willing to exchange the wiring loom?

I will try just that, even if it costs an extra £10 or £15 would still be worth it.

Now does anyone know a way of hetting the CD changer to work with an MDI?

Purchased my octy vrs in march. It was one that was in the system and had the Bluetooth prep(gsm|||) and mfsw with dsg and maxidot. Quite happy with the bolero with the SD. However be nice to have the media in option as I specced it in the fabia and was handy to charge the phones as well if needed. I have a thing about wires trailing every where. I'm quite good with installing kit as I install hands free kits in the company fleet. My question is. If I install it will it display straight on the bolero. Not bothered about track info on the maxidot as I rather have my phone displayed on the maxidot or would I require vcds programming.

Also can't see a pic where the mdi fits into the octy

Thanks for any help on the matter

Can't say for the Bolero but with the Columbus and MDI the music from the phone is selectable and controllable in a similar way to if you were using an SD card. One of the main reasons I got it was to charge the phone as I use the cigarette lighter socket to power other things.

This is where the MDI fits:

S91-0173.png

That looks like the AC feed pipe for the 'chilled' glovebox, and what looks to be the mech for the door hinge - just can't quite work out from what angle the illustration's done from!

I'm curious about the OEM fitment location.

• Like 1

I keep my iPhone on the ashtray cover so I set the socket into the side of the centre console below the glove box and run the cable round to behind the gearstick. I use the iPhone for speed camera alerts as well so like to have it where I can see it. I will take a pic of the installation when I get back from the btcc as I'm not in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my iPhone on the ashtray cover so I set the socket into the side of the centre console below the glove box and run the cable round to behind the gearstick. I use the iPhone for speed camera alerts as well so like to have it where I can see it. I will take a pic of the installation when I get back from the btcc as I'm not in my car.

Any Pics yet?

Interesting way of doing it.

Another route involves taking out the ashtray removable section out and then running the cabling to the back of there, and placing the iPod in the ashtray void.

Felt/lining can also be applied, to be slightly kinder to the iPod :)

This way also means it can be reverted to standard at will, if you come to sell.

Fitted it like I did mainly so I can see and manipulate the iPhone screen whilst driving as I use it for other things as well as music.

I must say its much easier than converting AAC files to mp3 then loading onto columbus hdd via SD card.